Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Homemade Latakia: My failed attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I seem to be unable to open it, but you linked that chemical analysis of Latakia before. I remember it said that initially, the mistake was made that cedar was a constituent. When they completed the analysis, it became clear that it wasn't cedar but mastic. That's why I suggested juniper. It is the closest relative of true cedar that grows around here. I hope that mastic gum works, if it does, isn't that going to be really expensive?

Planter

Well I'm here to report another failure! Birch Tar Oil does nothing. I sprayed it onto the same types of leaves as before and there is absolutely no Latakia flavor at all.

Thanks for the update! What amount did you use, roughly?

I only have some experience with Benzoin resin (which was a common ingredient in old-time pipe mixtures). Just 0.5g per 100g tobacco have great impact (esp. on the room note). Not making Latakia, though.

Planter

By the way, Jitterbugdude, you recommendation of Samsun Maden was a good one... my new favourite is a mixture of air-cured and kilned Samsun Maden with sun-cured Izmir (the Lebanese strain). I find myself reaching for that jar most of the time... just had a pipe full with some Lavender blossoms added.

Status
Not open for further replies.