Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have learned from this site that "case" is a descriptor of the amount of water in curing/cured tobacco leaves. Can someone help me out with "hi case", "low case", etc ? Are there other terms?

My guess is Hi case means lots of water but it's just a guess. Other than the feel (which I have to develop) is there any empirical measure?

Thanks, John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Leaf in "high case" has a physical feeling of being wet. It is cold or cool to the touch and it is heavy in weight. After working with just a few leaves, you will have a sticky resin (gum) on your fingers. Medium case would be a little damp, very pliable and a leaf easy to work with without crumbling or breaking, but still prone to developing mold. Light case would be a leaf dry to the touch, light in weight and will be difficult to work with without breaking. Leaf in light case can not be fully stretched like what is needed for making a cigar wrapper. Light case leaf is ideal for shredding and will produce a ribbon without breaking. Light case leaf it not at risk of developing mold, but it is at risk of drying out. Brittle dry leaf will crumble into little pieces if you look at it wrong.

That's my best guess...I don't think there is an industry definition for High/medium/light case.

Feel free to add your own thoughts.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
John,
I pretty much agree with Don.
The only meaningful measure of case is % water content by weight. Relative humidity is temperature dependent, and really refers only to the air surrounding the leaf. The water content of a tobacco leaf at any particular RH at a fixed temperature is also dependent on the composition of the leaf itself--more hygroscopic (water-absorbing) leaf will have a higher water content than a less hygroscopic leaf at the same RH and temp.

Here's what I go by:
  • out of case: loud when touched, shatters when handled
  • low case: is noisy when handled, feels quite dry, but is somwhat flexible [good for filler to be smoked immediately]
  • middle case: is nearly quiet when handled, feels dry, but is somewhat stretchy and flexible [good for binder and for filler that will be rested after rolling]
  • high case: feels damp and floppy, is maximally stretchy [good for wrapper]
I think that the sound of the leaf tells all.

Bob

andrewislord

I was just about to ask that question.

Any tips on how to put the leaves in higher case? I tried in a bag with a damp paper towel but got too scared to leave it in there for more than 40 minutes. I'm going to try rolling cigars today.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
nothing wrong with using damp paper in plastic bag - but don't let the tobacco touch the damp paper, let the tobacco absorb the moisture from the air in the bag, best if left overnight..

johnlee1933

Founding Member
OK A couple of things You don't want your filler in high case. It makes the cigar too tight and won't draw well. Medium low to medium works best for me. Not quite crinkly.

Binder needs to be moist enough to be very pliable but not so wet it loses strength. If your leaf is too dry and you are in a hurry put it between layers of warm damp towel for a few minutes. A little trial and error will show you the right amount of moisture.

The cigar in binder can be dried by nuking for a few seconds and waiting a few minutes. When it has cooled you will find it drier and firmer. Now you take your wrapper in high case and do the final layer. This can also be dried in the nuke for a few seconds. You'll probably find that you get the hang of it after the first dozen or so.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You can use an atomizer (like for perfume) and spray distilled water on the leaf then put it in a plastic bag for an hour or so. If the leaf is super dry, it might take a couple of days of fooling with it to bring it into proper case.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If doing a small amount, a few drops on the leaf then nuke 5-10 seconds, let it cool for a few minutes and it should be good

Edit to add, all this in a plastic produce bag

Matty

I store my leaf very low case, moist enough so it won't "shatter". When I want to roll a few cigars I pick out my leaves and use a little sprayer from a glasses cleaner bottle (I washed it real good) and completely spray one leaf at a time but not all of them, I leave a few dry. I gently rub the water all over the leaf so there are no dry spots. I then layer the leaves, wet dry wet dry and so on. I then put the pile in a plastic bag for 10-20 mins, have a coffee while I wait. I usually re-arrange the pile 3-4 times to get an even moisturizing of the leaf. When they are all supple enough I de-stem them and fold the half leaves into a little pile and keep them in a plastic bag while I'm rolling. Leaves I prepare this way I use as wrappers. If I need filler I just leave them out of the bag in a little pile, periodically re-arranging them till they are dry to what I want. I use tapwater (hard, not softened of course) because I smoke the cigars within a week or two.

BarG

Founding Member
John
From a novice cigar roller I like my filler to be in a light case just before it falls apart when you scrunch it together to form a round bunch. To light and the leaves will crumble. If you have some that is a bit dry add it to the center so it wont fall out when it breaks up and i bet your cigar will smoke like a champ. I believe the binders and wrappers are covered well in above posts.

I rolled a realy good home grown this morning using burley and maryland 609 lugs with a fier cured center and bezuki single wrapper. It was killer and never went out while leaving for almost 10 min. at one point but didn't burn up either.
I'm gonna send you one.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John

I rolled a realy good home grown this morning using burley and maryland 609 lugs with a fier cured center and bezuki single wrapper. It was killer and never went out while leaving for almost 10 min. at one point but didn't burn up either.
I'm gonna send you one.

Thanks BG, I'll return the favor.

J

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i bring my cured leaf into case,

by letting them hang with just the crock-pot on,,,,

to absorb the moisture,

Status
Not open for further replies.