Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newbie with 1M Questions Please be gentle - Achieve and Maintain Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondford

Rank newbie here getting ready to roll his first cigar; I have my tobacco in place, but will roll my first batch with some cigar scraps I purchased not from WLT (a mistake that won't be repeated) and save my better tobacco until I get the first few under my belt. . I am preparing the leaf for rolling and have selected and de-stemed leaves suitable for filler and binder. These scraps hardly has anything suitable to be used as wrapper. From watching every rolling video I can find, I think I have fair handle on how wet the wrapper and binder will need to be. I think that is referred to Case. I want to learn the entubado method, this question concerns the filler to be rolled into tubes; I understand you want your filler as dry as possible but this tobacco is too dry for the filler to be rolled into tubes; I doubt it could even be rolled using the book method without crumbing. I can spray the leaf wet enough to roll, same with the binder but my question is how do you achieve and more importantly maintain the proper case for filler, binder and wrapper?

Any assistance with this and my next 1000 questions will be greatly appreciated.

Don

bonehead

i lightly mist mine then put it in a bag or plastic storage box. i try to do it a day or three ahead of time so i can check it and add more mist or leave the top cracked if i over misted it. where are you located (general area) ? it will help members know the general enviroment to help with storage advice.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
One of the biggest mistakes first time rollers make is to have the filler too moist. If you do, you will end up with a rock solid tube! We've all been there (I think). Have your filler dry, almost but not quite crispy. It's a learning thing. You'll figure it out quickly through trial and error... and try not to keep yelling "Roll Tide" while you "roll".

ArizonaDave

One of the biggest mistakes first time rollers make is to have the filler too moist. If you do, you will end up with a rock solid tube! We've all been there (I think). Have your filler dry, almost but not quite crispy. It's a learning thing. You'll figure it out quickly through trial and error... and try not to keep yelling "Roll Tide" while you "roll".

I second that~! Also, if you add too much to the end going in your mouth, you'll get a slow draw. I add some of the bottom to the tip of the cigar. Also, there's some excellent rolling videos in the Cigar section.

This site has a lot of information, no big tobacco ties, and you'll find your knowledge increase with reading and questions. Very many helpful people here! You can ask any of us, any time! Happy rolling! It's just hand-eye motor coordination training for the first couple weeks. After a while, you'll be rolling better than store bought.

DGBAMA

Welcome. I repeat the above, filler as dry as it can be without being crumbly.

Jtravis

I was just about to make a post before seeing this thread. That's the problem I've been having. My filler has become too dry at times so I'll mist the leaves, and lay them out to dry until they're pliable but not wet. I try to get the case at its lowest, but some of them are still becoming 'rock solid tubes' so I'm guessing they're still too hydrated?

Raodwarior

I find that if I take a couple pounds of filler in a plastic tote and lightly mist a cotton cloth, then I place that on top of the filler for at least a day. At that point I usually have the proper case to roll. You may differ being in the south so maybe 2 days, as up here this time of year there is little humidity and I have forced air heat in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.