Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ammonium sulfate fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

A few people say we must not use ammonium based fertilizers, but I`ve read an interesting bit out an old tobacco file I have. The article says " if Ammonium Sulfate is added at approximately 7 weeks, it will give the leaf more color ?? and also make it more oily.
I will experiment with that. We have a product called ASN- Ammonium Sulfate Nitrate, and I will side dress my tobacco on 7 weeks and hopefully it will do as its suppose to, and give me a nice colored and oily leaf. Will give feedback. What do you think??

ArizonaDave

A few people say we must not use ammonium based fertilizers, but I`ve read an interesting bit out an old tobacco file I have. The article says " if Ammonium Sulfate is added at approximately 7 weeks, it will give the leaf more color ?? and also make it more oily.
I will experiment with that. We have a product called ASN- Ammonium Sulfate Nitrate, and I will side dress my tobacco on 7 weeks and hopefully it will do as its suppose to, and give me a nice colored and oily leaf. Will give feedback. What do you think??

I actually I did something similar after transplanting a few weeks after, Here's the ingredients:

Nitrogen:
1.9% Ammonia Nitrogen
5.7% Nitrate Nitrogen
10.4% Urea Nitrogen

Soluable Potash 20%

It also had sulfur and iron. The leaves were real green and sticky until about 3 weeks ago, the weather got very cool for here, but would be considered spring weather elsewhere. The leaves were big, green, and amazingly sticky.

If someone could bottle that stickiness, they could give Post it Notes a run for their money.

I went through too much potting soil around the plants. We have a natural red clay here, so I'll need to check again what I need for this upcoming year. I plan on planting in new areas, and don't want to tote in tons of black dirt. Apparently they grow just about everything in the red clay, but I'll need to check first what I need soon.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Three years ago my soil test revealed I was low in Nitrogen and Sulfur so I used Ammonium Sulfate for a fertilizer. I didn't notice any oily leaves. I question the recommendation of putting fertilizer down at 7 weeks though because tobacco has used almost all the nitrogen and potassium that it is going to use once the plants blossom. I did notice that all of my tobacco had considerably more nicotine in it.

ArizonaDave

attachment.php
Hmm, ok, I'd question that too. I don't know, try it on a couple of plants to compare?

Here's a few leaves on an 18" X 18" slab: These did have it at about 8 weeks, and were very sticky. Ergo Burley, Mammoth, and VA. Gold (top to bottom). Like I said, I was surprised to get these in AZ.

Attachments

• 100_5349.jpg
    100_5349.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 112

Rickey60

They look very shiney. The Ergo burley (top picture) is dark green. I used nitrite of soda last year and got the very dark leaf. How did they cure? Mine with the dark green leaf was hard to get to yellow.

Ben Brand

I will be using LAN- Limestone Ammonium Nitrate on about 6 weeks and if I see they are not what I want give a little LAN side dressing just after topping. I gave a side dressing this passed weekend (3 weeks) of 12 grams of MAP- Mono Amonium Phosphate. Will also start my foliar spray program this week end. 3;1;6 Multifeed with most of the macro and micro elements.

Bex

When I was having difficulty yellowing my leaf, many of the comments were to check to see if there was too much nitrogen in the soil. I imagine I would think twice about adding more, if I found that the nitrogen level in my soil was normal. It will be interesting to see if you have difficulty curing, with the added nitrogen.....

rustycase

Way back when, Lonnie had said if fertilizer was applied much after the plants were knee high there may be difficulty curing the leaf, and it could also be harsh.
Best
rc

Matty

I used blood meal last year for nitrogen with remarkable improvements from the year before. Thing is, something like 20% of the nitrogen is readily available and the rest comes later which is not totally desirable. I wish I could find something reliable to use as a sidedressing such as a water soluble nitrogen. My hold up is, at least with ammonium sulfate (or plain ammonium nitrate) is whether I'd have to deal with extra ammonia in the finished leaf necessitating longer aging and/or fermenting to get rid of it. I have not read into it but maybe it should be something to consider.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
From what I seen the farmers doing to their bacca. Crop with the fertilizer I deliver to them..the bacca is about 6 inches tall with about 6 "" true leaves""...and that's all the fertilizing they do thru-out the whole grow.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I wish I could find something reliable to use as a sidedressing such as a water soluble nitrogen.

Calcium Nitrate!

Also, with ammonium nitrate, it's not that it's bad, it just becomes bad when used above something like 20% of the nitrogen mix.

CT Tobaccoman

Ammonium Nitrate is used as side dress in Connecticut for shade tobacco, twice at most, when the plants are still small enough to be hoed and not yet tied, that is, less than knee high. It provides immediate nitrogen especially needed after a heavy rain, and at that age the plants aren't yet able to access the NPK fertilizer, cottonseed meal and winter cover grass that was harrowed in before transplanting. It's been done for at least 60 years now, must be OK. But after that, shade gets no more fertilizer.

CT Tobaccoman

Suppose it depends on the soil as well, sandy soil more fertilizers, clay soil less!!

That's probably true. Both kinds have problems. Clay pools and floods, sandy leaches fertilizer away. We have sandy loam in Conn, which pools and leaches both, and the use of nitrate depends mostly on rainfall. Lots of rain, more nitrate application. No rain or light rain, sometimes no nitrates. We try to judge need for nitrates by the color of the plant--getting a little yellowish at that young stage? Time for a blast. This approach toward nitrates held 30 years ago.

Modern Conn shade farms (not all) now have permanent irrigation set up throughout the entire crop. In my day we lugged pipe thru the lots only after 2 weeks drought. I notice that these irrigated farms use nitrate twice. Spread it near the plant by hand, run cultivator through the lot, then hoe the loose dirt up the stalk, building a "hill" that extends unbroken down the row. So, it seems nitrate use is now routine. And it is ammonium nitrate, never urea.

CT

Status
Not open for further replies.