Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Un-even wrapper burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollin On

I just want to say Hello and thanks to all the great information from everyone on this forum!
I'm new to the rolling world and have been trolling this group for a few weeks now, My cigars are turning out uniform and taste great but I am getting uneven burn on my wrappers...This is after drying out and bringing them back to 62-68% humi....I know I should let them age more than a day or two but the temptation to light one up is to much!
Thanks again and Happy to be part of this great group!
Looks like I duplicated a thread by Ben and noticed some wrapper to wet replies but on mine the cigars are to dry if anything and the draw is to easy but they feel nice and tight.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum

If the draw is "too easy" then you'll need to roll a tighter stick. You're way ahead of the curve on this one since the more common problem is a draw too tight.

As far as the uneven burn...same as above. Your stick is too loose and/or the wrapper is not sufficiently dry. The wrapper will overlap in some spots and not in others. If the wrapper is too moist, it will burn unevenly where it is overlapped.

Last edited:

Rollin On

Thanks, I will let them cure awhile longer before bringing them back to life.. I lit one a few minutes ago and read your post and it seems the uneven burn starts at the overlap!
Thanks again!

darren1979

First Time Grower
I'll echo what Don has said, also see if there are any voids in the filler. Sometimes the open space makes the wrapper burn faster.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'll add to the un even burn issue with this. If you look at a single leave, the little veins run at an angle to the main stem. When choosing a wrapper leaf make sure your veins are running in the same direction as your binder and filler. This will mean that sometimes you roll right handed and sometimes you roll left handed. All the veins in your filler, binder and wrapper should be running in the same direction. Granted, the most common issue with canoeing etc is moisture, but keeping all the veins oriented correctly is just another part of the equation to a perfect cigar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the outer ash of the wrapper is white, then all of the above suggestions apply--particularly the need for consistent density of the filler bunch. If the outer ash of the wrapper is dark, then a more combustible binder leaf may remedy the problem.

Bob

charlie G.

Some good info in this thread. Thanks for all the info guys.
Can I ask that if the binder or wrapper is thick and stretchy could that cause a lousy burn also ?
I've had that problem.

Gdaddy

Many of the old recipe books suggest using Potassium Nitrate (Salt Peter) KNO3 for a better burn.

Don't worry, it has no effect on the male libido. It's a myth that the military used it in the food. However, it has been used as a food preservative since the middle ages and is approved by the FDA.

It's what makes a cigarette burn to the end all by itself. It's a great oxidizer and also helps to lower the PH of cigar leaves that are slightly alkiline. So it's somewhat of a smoothing agent.

I use the formula used in the PDF of 8 oz crystallized Salt Petre to 1 gallon of luke warm water. It dissolves easily and has no odor.

http://library.albany.edu/preservation/brittle_bks/Werner_Tobaccoland/Part8_chpt41.pdf

I use the thinnest, best burning leaves (Volado) for the binder leaves (I use 2 leaves) and spray the solution only on the binder leaves with a fine mist sprayer. No need to do the filler only the binder. Let them sit in a bag over night to absorb the water solution. The next day take the leaves out of the bag to air dry back to medium/low case. Store them away until ready for use.

The result is a binder wrapped around the perimeter of the cigar to aid the burning process. Like adding an oxygen blanket around the perimeter. You can do the wrapper leaf also if you so desire. Experiment with it.

The Salt Petre will be undetectable. The only evidence that it's in there will be a nice sharp burn line. I use it on every cigar and get good consistency of burn. There no taste difference other than the improvement of a smoother less alkaline smoke.

You still need to properly dry the cigar after rolling. A damp cigar will still not burn well and taste bad so don't do it.

Cheers!

charlie G.

G you are a true wealth of info. Thanks for sharing this info.
I always learn something from your knowledgeable posts.

webmost

So, I read once upon a time, I believe in Carlisle's wonderful history of Frederick the Great, how early cannons had a tendency to blow up, taking their gunners with them. This made early gunners understandably reluctant to fire, and soldiers reluctant to become gunners. The ingenious Konig's ingenious solution was to provide plenty of beer for each cannoneer. Then they'd collect their piss to make saltpetre, an essential ingredient in making gunpowder.

Of course, the original method of manufacturing saltpetre was to piss on manure.

So, yeah, I'd smoke some of that.... given enough beer.

Swedroller

That´s truly an interesting knowledge, maybe i´ll try it later on.
So far in my rolling i have not had problems whit uneven burn but rather whit tunneling.
As some of you told me earlier i know it´s because of uneven moisture. How can i decide when it´s dry enough?
I have put them into the humidor directly after wrapping, maybe it´s better to let them dry in the room climate first. Here in Sweden we have a very low humidity in winter, 30 -35% RF right now. I thougt that would be very bad for cigar so i put them directly into the humi.

When i was a kid we mixed the nitrate whit sugar, it makes a huge amount of smoke when burning. Definitely not the kind of smoke you want in your mouth (or eyes)

/Ville

Gdaddy

Potassium Nitrate can react explosively with other reducing agents, but it is not explosive on its own. It's used as an oxidizer in gun powder but when used as prescribed in tobacco you don't have to worry that your cigars will explode.

If you've ever seen an acetylene torch when you turn on the oxygen. The oxygen greatly intensifies the flame. Salt petre is an oxidizer.

It's been used since the middle ages as a food preservative (like corned beef) and is used in some toothpaste for overly sensitive teeth.

For those who would never try Salt Peter I'd say there's a good chance you've already experienced it in either commercial cigarettes and or cigars. It's a pretty widely used product.

Rollin On

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try Gdaddy. You and the others here are lifesavers and thanks again for everyone taking the time to post!

Status
Not open for further replies.