Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Puro's

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Puros tend to be one dimensional. Your challenge is to identify from a puro of a particular variety the characteristics it may bring to a blend. I and other forum members have rolled single-variety cigars of many or all of WLT's offerings, as well as of scores of heirloom varieties not available commercially. What can be learned from the exercise is personally useful, but not easily translated into meaningful prose. And poetic similes ("chocolaty", "creamy", etc.)--which make wonderful reading--hold different meanings for different readers. You'll just have to try them for yourself.

Bob

MarcL

Me too Son. But Bob is right. As you may know, puros usually refer to all the leaf used coming from the same country. but I don't think that's what you meant. So, what I will add is when you do it from a single WLT offering. Sort through the leaf and construct the cigar so that the thicker leaves are in the center so the thinner, more combustible outer leaves can enable a more consistent burn. As is the standard practice when constructing a cigar.

ArizonaDave

Have any of you guys rolled any puro's from WLT offering? Any recommendations?

Son

I have two favorite puros that come to mind.

1) Nicaragua Habano Seco. The leaves are the best condition I've ever seen Seco's in, and easily make a great binder and wrapper. Nice medium bodied (maybe mild-med) with plenty of notes of wood, etc.

2) Dominican Seco: A medium bodied beauty! (Binder is better, but is currently out of stock). It will be a little harder to find a binder and wrapper than the Nicaraguan, but this is a nice straightforward smoke! One of my favorites. Add Liguero for the classic Cohiba taste in a 3:1 ratio (Is that right Bob?)

Piloto Cubano Seco is often added to "Cool down" a blend, and highlight other flavors, but can be one dimensional in a puro. Nevertheless it is my favorite filler to add to any of these to enhance their flavors.

All great leaf, depending on your flavor profile.

dondford

MarcL said:
As you may know, puros usually refer to all the leaf used coming from the same country. but I don't think that's what you meant. .

Yes, that's what "puro" means to me and that's exactly that I meant.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

dondford

I have two favorite puros that come to mind.

1) Nicaragua Habano Seco. The leaves are the best condition I've ever seen Seco's in, and easily make a great binder and wrapper. Nice medium bodied (maybe mild-med) with plenty of notes of wood, etc.

2) Dominican Seco: A medium bodied beauty! (Binder is better, but is currently out of stock). It will be a little harder to find a binder and wrapper than the Nicaraguan, but this is a nice straightforward smoke! One of my favorites. Add Liguero for the classic Cohiba taste in a 3:1 ratio (Is that right Bob?)

Piloto Cubano Seco is often added to "Cool down" a blend, and highlight other flavors, but can be one dimensional in a puro. Nevertheless it is my favorite filler to add to any of these to enhance their flavors.

All great leaf, depending on your flavor profile.

Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks,
D

Smokin Harley

Have any of you guys rolled any puro's from WLT offering? Any recommendations?

Son
earlier this week I rolled my last of my WLT supply leaf , just rolled a petite corona with dominican (binder leaf) I guess its not a true puro since I still wrapped it in Habano 2000 but its still resting. I may light it up today while doing some yard work. Before I started rolling anything I had this idea to roll puros to get each individual tobacco leaf taste so I could get a good idea how to construct a blend before I plant my crop next year . I rolled one small cheroot of my habano 2000 scraps and got a wonderful tasting stick. I will go through my dominican pile and roll a true puro and see how that is.

Cigar

The Hab2000 is a great leaf one of the best wrappers so-far have rolled/smoked form WLT.

Cigar

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I haven't smoked many puro cigars but I do sample each leaf by itself in a pipe. A cob pipe is cheap and is nice to use in the patch to smoke stalk cured mud lugs.

LewZephyr

I haven't smoked many puro cigars but I do sample each leaf by itself in a pipe. A cob pipe is cheap and is nice to use in the patch to smoke stalk cured mud lugs.
Can I assume you have a cob reserved for this so you don't have any seasoned carry-over from your pipe blends? (Latakia I am looking at you... you know what you do... this is why we cant have nice things.)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Can I assume you have a cob reserved for this so you don't have any seasoned carry-over from your pipe blends? (Latakia I am looking at you... you know what you do... this is why we cant have nice things.)

Yes. :eek: The Missouri Meerschaums are cheap and they make good pipes.

dondford

Smokin Harley

"I had this idea to roll puros to get each individual tobacco leaf taste so I could get a good idea how to construct a blend before I plant my crop next year"

That's a great tip, I had several free samples from WLT that came with my mold I wasn't familiar with. I did your little cheroot trip and got a good handle on them.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.