Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

help- air cured tobacco too dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcdawn

Hi folks, I am new to tobacco growing and to the forum.

We grew some 1000-year old tobacco from seed this year, and got a nice harvest. Hung the whole plants up to dry in the basement, where some dried green and some brown. Basically we got distracted and ignored it for two + months, and now it's all very dry and crumbly now. yes-mea culpa!

I realize we did several things wrong, and am researching now for next year's crop, but does anyone know if there's any way to salvage some of the stuff we grew this year?

thank you!

:eek:

buck

Dried green, is not good depends how green. The brown dried leaves if you can put a humidifier in your basement and set it to%70 you can handle it without crumbling.

ArizonaDave

If you mist the leaves with a spray bottle (not too much, just enough to rehydrate), they should come back. Overnight, if you want the veins to be elastic.

I live in Arizona, and have done this a few times to both Cigar leaf, and leaves I've grown.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you'll add a general location to your profile, it will appear on every post. Answers to your curing questions will depend on your location and general weather conditions. It will help alot to have a general idea of your location.

Smokin Harley

you grew 1000 year old seed , thats awesome. what variety is it and where did it originate ?? please grow more and save the seed.

cotillion

I had the same concerns with my rustica, see my grow blog page 11: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4089-cotillion-s-First-Grow-Blog-2014/page11

Member squeezyjohn offered me this advice: Really don't worry about the rustica colouring up slowly ... it's just what they do! They normally won't go through a yellowing phase and will go brown via a stage of greenish-brown. If you can keep them hanging in a place that the humidity swings them in and out of case between day and night then it will speed the process up - but watch out for mould on the lamina if it gets too wet ... even with dry stalks rustica will start to mould at the pores on the leaf itself if left too damp for too long ... look out for tiny black spots - they will quickly destroy the leaf if you're not careful!

I moved them back outside for a month or so and then back in once the cold weather was here to stay. They all coloured up evenly with a slight greenish tinge to the brown. They are rather dry but I will use a spray bottle on them as mentioned above by ArizonaDave.

Status
Not open for further replies.