Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cleaning a cigar mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondford

I just received my used ABS cigar mold from WLT and are pleased with the quality; it does have a fair amount of tobacco residue that has built up. Should I clean this mold, if so, what would be the best way to do so. After cleaning should I treat it with something to prevent future buildup?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Don

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Congratulations on your new mold. Try some rubbing alcohol on the build up. I don't know of any treatment to prevent future build up that would not impart a taste.

Matty

Just wash it in the kitchen sink with warm water, a little soap and brush. It's plastic so, easy to clean and needs no "treatment".

dondford

Yes, the 50 x 7 1/2 I would have preferred 52 but it wasn't available; I will seldom roll a 7 1/2 incher but I will just shove the head up in the rounded portion and stay around 5 1/2 -6.
I will post a pic after I clean it up.

D

Raodwarior

Seems like a normal length to me todays "Churchill" size is 50x7 so mold is 1/2" longer so you can tuck the end.

Gdaddy

It doesn't matter if it's too long. If you want to roll a shorter cigar no problem. It would be a problem if it's to short and you want to roll a longer one.

Congrats on getting the mold. It will make the cigars look very nice.

dondford

My new used mold - The Good, The Good and the Ugly:
The good is the mold, well used but well made and in solid condition. The bad is that after rolling free hand for several weeks I have no clue how gauge the correct amount of filler to fit the mold. My first was too large and I had to cram it into the mold and the second was too small and the mold had little effect on it. The uguly were the first two cigars out of the mold. I have taken out my reloading electronic scales and will weigh the filler in a store bought 50 x 6 and use that weight to weigh out my filler until (if) I get the hang of it.

Wanted to post pic but kept getting "jpg failed to upload" error message, but the mold is exactly as shown on WLT web site for the used black ABS molds.

Don

DGBAMA

I find scales for the filler very helpful in getting consistent results. All about consistency.

dondford

DGBama:
Please give me a quick run down on the method you use, do you do a large batch at once for several rolling sessions, do you batch each type of tobacco used in a certain cigar and keep together for each cigar while weighing, ect ect?
I am in the Auburn area, where in Alabama are you?

Don

dondford

"Sorry you are so close to those pesky tigers..... Lol."

Yeah, well they were pretty toothless this year. Y'all just wait 'til next year!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.