Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Difficulty drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewZephyr

Well I will be the first to say I have no artistic talent so no I am not talking about that type of drawing.:rolleyes:

I am not sure what happened on my last batch of rolling.
Stuck with the same blend I used previously.
I used the entubado method, and they have rested in Humi for about 10 days.
Last two, I have had to use a poker on so my mouth turn wont inside out.
Prior to the poker the stick is firm but it loosens up as I try to smoke, so I am thinking they are not too tight.
They stay lit with no issue, so not thinking its a moisture issue.

I am looking back at my roll session, it was my first with my professional mold.
I feel like I remember focusing on it more than previously due to the excitement of the new toy.
I am wondering if I may have scrolled up my filer to tight during the entubado portion.

So I come here for the community at mass for any input.
As always your time is appreciated.

Gdaddy

I'll chime in with two points.

After the cigar is dry and ready to smoke cut or punch the end of the cigar and take a draw BEFORE you light it. If it's too tight put the flame away and take a razor and slice off the wrapper and re roll it. Don't smoke it until it's right.

I like to use a 'modified' entubado method. What you are trying to do with entubado is create tubes so the air can be more easily drawn through the cigar. The large tubes created in many of the videos of entubado methods are easily crushed flat once they under go the pressure of rolling. Some of them function no better than the book method. My thought was to have more tubes that are smaller tubes with thicker walls and should withstand the pressure better than large tubes with thinner walls. I can roll either entubado method but have had much better results using many small strong tubes vs. a few large weak tubes. However, even my entubado method can be over tightened if you over stuff it. If so, re-roll it.

Raodwarior

Of course the other option is to invest in a "Draw Poker" that solves the problem too. I had the same problem with a couple of batches recently, my problem I believe was having the fill in a bit to high of case.

MarcL

When I get a new mold I'll try to under fill and over fill it in an attempt to get a sense of density.
Also, a size of mold wants to have bound filler that is not to thick or to thin.
I like this video demonstrating bunch methods Entubado, Semi Entubado, and, Estrujado.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You say the tobacco is not too moist when you start to smoke it. How moist is the filler when you roll it?

Gdaddy

This is is a continuation of that video. The thing I especially like about this one is how he talks about how important it is to have tips of the leaves (the better tobacco) located in the foot of the cigar. This is something no one talks about and is ignored by most everyone. I believe this is one of the hidden secrets of cigar rolling.

Smokin Harley

I absolutely love these videos with explanations ...just like the Tim Torres vids. he explains WHY he does something . not just do it this way because we always have...excellent.

webmost

This happens to everyone, I think. The solutions is as simple as this: Roll another hundred or two.

ArizonaDave

This is is a continuation of that video. The thing I especially like about this one is how he talks about how important it is to have tips of the leaves (the better tobacco) located in the foot of the cigar. This is something no one talks about and is ignored by most everyone. I believe this is one of the hidden secrets of cigar rolling.

Great video, I remember back when I first became interested in rolling my own, and you sent me these. Don't forget, you made some great videos as well. Yes, tips first!

Gdaddy

Ha ha ha! I got frustrated on the first few, a few hundred could be an expensive mistake. I get your logic though, practice makes a better cigar.

Right you are Dave!

When I first started I would roll 40 or 50 cigars and then realize a new improved blend and regret having rolled so many. However, the practice of rolling them was a good exercise. The Pectin glue on my first cigars was so unpleasant that I ended up cutting off the wrappers and re-rolling about 100 cigars.

Now I'm content with rolling a couple of cigars every day but keeping track of the blend and making sure each one is rolled as good as possible. 15 to 20 cigars a week is plenty for me and keeps my stash flow growing. The current cigars I'm smoking are over a year old now resting @63% rh.

So, I'd suggest rolling only one cigar but focus on doing it right. If it doesn't come out right then take it apart and do it again until you understand what you're trying to achieve. Then roll some more. Remember... "Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent" So get it right first THEN you're ready to practice.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Our coach used to say "Practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect."

LewZephyr

@Knucklehead - filler is in very low case... close to crumbling without doing so.

@ Chris A / Gdaddy - twisting tubes during bunching is quite possible, but I do try to focus on not doing that.
That't not a good thing though I try to focus on finding stuff in the pantry but can't and the wife comes up and points right in front of me.

I have smoked a few more from the same rolling session and not all are having the issue, so probably too tight or twisted filler.
I'll be making a draw poker for the occasions that I need.

Thanks all for the feedback, and the videos are always good to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.