Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your Rolling Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Well, yesterday I had a few errands to run then somehow I ended up at Menards and got to walking around then out of nowhere...I had a buggy full of 3/4" poplar ,wood glue and stain ,Spax screws, round top decorative wood plugs (to fill a few screw holes that will be seen )and a 2 inch chinese bristle brush ...Cost - $88. and change.
I've had this rolling station table in mind . I was overcome with the thought of turning these boards into a nice little table (I'm talking furniture... cabinetry) and it just got the best of me...Theres just a great feeling I get turning out a nice piece . The smell of sawdust, the warm feel of wood and it's grain. The joinery ...the smell of stain...I am a carpenter (22 years)but the work I usually do is mainly scaffolding and well, sometimes the chance to do real wood carpentry just doesn't come up too often anymore. So I got my wood purchase home and started laying it out . I got poplar, I would have preferred maple but the cost would have eaten up my Christmas shopping and I'm staining it anyway. Due to width dimension ,I have to glue up some boards for the top and main work area but the rest is cut up ,shaped . Needs a little finish sanding on my cuts but for the most part ready to stain(Minwax Gunstock,probably two coats) and leave the shelves natural with either a butcher block finish or just a satin clear coat polyurethane. Its going to be cold for a few days but I can sand anyway .When I get back in the workshop I'll be hard at it . Rough assembly ,trim and shape/sand what needs it , then break it down to stain and finish then final assembly. No hurry, just a project to keep me busy while I wait for the kiln . I'll be sure to post pics .

Smokin Harley

Thanks guys. dimensions are simple. 30 wide ,24 deep , 30 inch tall at the main work area and the upper shelf 9 deep is 42 to the top. mid-shelf is centered in the "hutch area" I left enough room under the mid shelf that my cigar (7x50 from WLT) mould will fit under it and a few cigar store surplus boxes will fit on top of the shelf . I'll set my original humidor on top , maybe a small lamp to work by.
Construction is solid 3/4" poplar from Menards , stain is gunstock 231 by Minwax on the frame and Watco Danish Oil golden oak on the horizontal work platforms/shelves.
Had to imbibe a few Gentleman Jack on the rocks and a Smokin Harley ("bobber" aka maduro wrapped scrapper) cigar to celebrate the build. Had a good day .
If anyone needs a build sheet , I'll try and supply the info. Can't wait to break it in.

charlie G.

What a great job Harley it should last more then one lifetime.
Now to figure out how to add a wood screw press for your mold.

Smokin Harley

I got lucky today ...well maybe actually double lucky... Since I built the rolling table I figured I'd better be on the lookout for a comfy old looking or at least somewhat matching chair with a back on it so when I lean back to ponder a new blend ,I don't fall back on my arse. Today I just happened to be on my errands and stopped in the local Goodwill store just because its next door to Aldi . I usually check out their glassware because well, I find the most interesting beer and whiskey glasses there, really cheap. I picked up a small slab of green granite that is supposed to be for cheese cutting . It still had the cheese wire taped to the back ,$2 . No decent hanging chain lamps in that section. Then I spot my treasure... In the back up on a shelf sat not one but two chairs with almost exactly the same stain colors as my rolling table. I pulled one down and sat in it , very comfortable , it has small arms . The back is a set of vertical dowels through one rail at mid back and then ends up in the top rail which is a lighter stain ,much like my table top color but not quite so yellow . Padded cloth seat which isn't all that bad to look at but I may re-cover them in some re-purposed leather when I come by it. Chairs were only $5 each ,had to buy them both because I hate to break up a pair. Schweet !

MarcL

https://i.imgur.com/wBMLxz1.jpg

Last edited:

LewZephyr

MarcL,
Thanks for sharing your rolling station.
The what is wood tray with the slats in picture 3. Just a resting point?
I notice in image 4 it looks like you have a 2nd tray and a ceramic ashtray? on top of that.

thanks again for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.