Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your tobacco storage system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boboro

Boboro, your baccy storage is a disgrace.
I mean, what the heck you doing drinking light beer? In my defence I drink beer while workin out in the sun. Not a good place to drink a heavey beer.

Here rests in peace a Hampshire Grenadier
Who caught his death drinking cold small beer

Soldier, take heed from his untimely fall
And when you drink, drink strong, or not at al

rustycase

That's just wunderful. I lern sumthing evry time I visit here.
Lite beer might be worth drinking in Misipi.
storage.jpg
looks like i might need to take the loomies to recycle and buy fancy plastic bags and shelvs.
Best
rc

DIY Pete

I only smoke cigars and less than 100 sticks per year so I can keep all my leaf in the WLT vapor proof bags stuffed into a cooler. I have about a 2 years supply of cigars in my wineador so anything I roll now can age for 2 years minimum.

Pete

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I let mine hang till I need my jars filled,.I like to keep 6----1gallon jars full at all times..

Although I've gotten good. By teaching my woman how to strip. And shred.

Yesterday while I was at work she filled up 8 jars...that will last for a while

romanko

I let mine hang till I need my jars filled,.I like to keep 6----1gallon jars full at all times..

Although I've gotten good. By teaching my woman how to strip. And shred.

Yesterday while I was at work she filled up 8 jars...that will last for a while
Hey Chicken, maybe your woman can teach my woman how to process tobacco :)

mountbaldy

First time baccy farmer
Does anyone here vacuum seal their leaf? I was going to do that with mine when it finishes up in the kiln. I was going to seal it at medium case. I would think that would work well since it would be in an environment pretty well free from oxygen. And since my humidity situation is like it is it's kind of difficult to keep anything at case very easily. In fact I use to sell cigars retail here and I'd have difficulty maintaining humidity in a commercial humidor with a commercial humidistat and humidifier.

Also, I'll be strictly using this leaf for cigars. Unfortunately for me I haven't gotten any leaf from WLT yet so I'm without any of their bags. I do have a plethora of storage totes so I could go that direction if need be.

Any thoughts on vacuum sealing whole leaf are appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would think you would not want to vacuum seal. If you are aging cigar leaf you probably want some oxygen to let your leaf "age".
As for bags, you can always buy gallon Ziploc bags from MylarPro.

mountbaldy

First time baccy farmer
Ok. So gallon Ziploc's it is. What case level would you suggest for storing cigar leaf?

Thanks!!

Joe

Chris A

Regular Ziplock bags are not very air tight. I use vacuum storage bags sealed or just folded over & clipped. Mostly use WLT bags though. Stick in cardboard box or cooler when I have room in there. I'm like Pete though, not a volume smoker. I probably have 10 year supply of Dons cigar leaf but will buy more when something comes available.

Brown Thumb

Med to low. I would rather grab a bag that needed a few spritz of water and a little rest than a bag of mold.
I just thru away another dozen bags of mold a few minutes ago.
I just finished shredding and reorganizing my inventory into totes due to mold.:(
image.jpg

Chris A

JBD

Sorry, I read what you said but not what you meant. I saw Ziploc, which I believe is a trademark brand of SC Johnson. No one else can manufacture or sell anything called Ziploc, and to my knowledge they are only good for short term storage of tobacco. Mylar is another story, as you pointed out correctly.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Does anyone here vacuum seal their leaf? I was going to do that with mine when it finishes up in the kiln. I was going to seal it at medium case. I would think that would work well since it would be in an environment pretty well free from oxygen. And since my humidity situation is like it is it's kind of difficult to keep anything at case very easily. In fact I use to sell cigars retail here and I'd have difficulty maintaining humidity in a commercial humidor with a commercial humidistat and humidifier.

Also, I'll be strictly using this leaf for cigars. Unfortunately for me I haven't gotten any leaf from WLT yet so I'm without any of their bags. I do have a plethora of storage totes so I could go that direction if need be.

Any thoughts on vacuum sealing whole leaf are appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

this year im gonna vacum seal my cigg. bacca.

and it wont be very long from now till i have it all shredded and ready to seal..

im using a very unique machine to do this with.. it may work ,, it may not. we will see. ill post pictures,

webmost

JBD

Sorry, I read what you said but not what you meant. I saw Ziploc, which I believe is a trademark brand of SC Johnson. No one else can manufacture or sell anything called Ziploc, and to my knowledge they are only good for short term storage of tobacco. Mylar is another story, as you pointed out correctly.

Other day, I asked the wife to hand me a kleenex. She knew what I meant. Me, I didn't care. I'd been sawing cedar, so I just wanted to clear out the buggernose.

I do often wish I had big mylar bags with a ziplock closure, tho.

Gmac

Those bucket bags look super. 5 gallon Buckets are Cheap or Free.
Nice way to store lots of Baccy.
I use these free food grade buckets from deli and gamma ray lids, holds case 6 months. I put 15 pounds in one bucket with a home made lever baler. I have drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the bottom of one and vacumed with shop vac with tape ready,(got plugs but not fast enough. Another favorite is The large zip lock tote with gasket like you ferment in the kiln. Holds case very well.Gamma Ray Lids.pngZiplock Weather tight Box.jpg

Last edited:

TravisNTexas

I'm using those lids and 5 gallon buckets for grain storage for beer, but never thought about using them for tobacco. Great idea!

ChinaVoodoo

I keep my tobacco in resealable 4mil thick poly bags. It doesn't keep the tobacco moist indefinitely. Instead of opening and spritzing, which is what I have been doing, the plan at the new house is to humidify the closet the bags will be in to 60%. That way the even though bags aren't a 100% seal, and not quite thick enough to be vapour proof, the tobacco should stay at the bottom end of medium case which is the goal because there's little risk of mold, and there's enough moisture, that aging will still occur.

Also important that I've learned is to have airflow around the bags, never have them against a wall. Condensation had happened in bags against the wall and caused mold for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.