Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your tobacco storage system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planter

Mine is simple, so no picture...

Whole leaves slightly pressed in parchment paper bags (labeled with variety name, vintage and perhaps some additional notes). These bags are in wooden wine crates. I usually remove fatter midribs.
Never had a problem with mould this way, although the leaves are usually somewhat in case when I put them in. I avoid plastic boxes for the same reason from bad experience.

Ready-to-smoke pipe tobacco I store in mason jars. I prefer mine quite dry, which helps keeping it mould-free without additives. I do have some moistened with whisky or rum.

Anyway, by the standards of most people I have only small amounts, therefore I never thought about a real "storage system".

Gdaddy

My storage system is simply the vapor proof bags the tobacco comes in. I only change the case of the binder and the wrapper when ready to use. The filler is used directly from the bag with no moisture added.

dondford

Are standard gal and +gal zip-lock bags suitable to store tobacco in, the zip-lock is more convenient that taping and re-taping. Is there a downside?

Don

bonehead

i leave my tobacco hanging until i have to take it down to hang the next years. then i just throw it into cardboard boxes until i need some, then i mist it and throw it in a plastic tote about a week before processing or using to get the moisture level consistant and rite. on the vapor proof bags they sell clips at the grocery store long enough to go across the whole bag. the frozen food clips are almost water and air tite. the chip bag clips work also if you fold over the end before clipping it on.

BarG

Founding Member
I have it hanging in sheds, cardboard boxes in my shop and vapor proof bags. They all work well. the vapor proof bags keep a slight case over long periods, just make sure their are no bugs before sealing.

Planter

Unfortunately, cardboard boxes quite often have a certain "chemical" odor to them these days, once I had to empty one again. So I´m now careful with cardboard.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Are standard gal and +gal zip-lock bags suitable to store tobacco in, the zip-lock is more convenient that taping and re-taping. Is there a downside?

Don

Zip lock bags are not vapor proof like the bags from WLT. The tobacco dries out really fast. With the vapor proof bags, you can fold over the top about three times and fasten with a couple of clothes pins. No taping necessary.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I like having my supply all processed and and the final product in storage. Apart from the totes that I use during processing and the garbage bags for temporary storage during harvesting and prior to processing, the final storage container is 15 liter food grade pails, (same as I use for honey) If well cased I can press about 6kg in each pail with out crunching it.

That said, I would like to get into storing whole leaf (burley and fluecured) in 2'x2'x2' boxes made of oak. one day I suppose.

Brown Thumb

For the most part I use Hefty Jumbo zip locks for my homegrown and keep Dons in his vapor bags. Bigs Bonners dark air goes in the empty freezer and it holds the moisture pretty well in there.
I Process and bag but ran out of room. I still have a bunch in the garage and bags all over the basement not shown.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 320

Brown Thumb

Brown Thumb:
Looks like you are running a little low on Tobacco! Are you in the business?

D
Not in the business. I can almost never pass up Dons Deals.
Im not good at math so when I calculate how many plants I need for a two packs a day for a yr. I usually multiply that by ten. By time I harvest I think I get 2 To 3 Yrs worth? Never weighed it all.
Ok, I admit, I am a Baccy Horder.

BarG

Founding Member
Im not good at math so when I calculate how many plants I need for a two packs a day for a yr. I usually multiply that by ten. By time I harvest I think I get 2 To 3 Yrs worth? Never weighed it all.

That pretty much says it Tom. Yeah we hoard. heh heh

But I am not a pack rat.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)

I've taken a different approach to how much I grow and in the little yard I have I will never see my full potential. I would like to grow as much as I have time to deal with it come harvest time. In my estimation, I know I can string up 20 sticks each with 30 clusters of 3 for a total of 90 leaves per stick wich means 1800 leaves per day, so, spend a day priming 3600 leaves (3 leaves per plant) and 2 days stringing them, means I could take care of 1200 plants and probably another 1200 burley plants if you stalk cure them. it comes down to available space to grow and facilities to cure.

Idealy, I'd like to grow three years worth of tobacco just so I could start letting it age properly. 600 properly grown plants would do me a year so out of 2400 plants 1800 plants worth of leaf could go into storage. so after smoking a quarter of the present years crop for the following five years by kilning it. the rest of the leaf could age naturally and on the sixth year I could start smoking the good, properly aged leaf for hence forth and forever more.

At least, it sounds good typing it here on this thread.

webmost

Boboro, your baccy storage is a disgrace.
I mean, what the heck you doing drinking light beer?

Here rests in peace a Hampshire Grenadier
Who caught his death drinking cold small beer

Soldier, take heed from his untimely fall
And when you drink, drink strong, or not at all

Raodwarior

I use the sealed zip lock totes...have around 35# left after doing the Christmas Blend.....Hmmm guess its time to call Don again.

Status
Not open for further replies.