Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Need some advice guys - varieties to plant

Yellow Twist Bud is a mild Burley.

I had good success sun curing various flue cure varieties. They tend to fall in sweetness between flue cured and air cured. I can recommend Reams 158, GL 939 (Gold Leaf 939), and Costello. Skychaser sells seed for all three. Northwood Seeds Retail

Quote Originally Posted by DGBAMA View Post
    Yellow twist bud is a white stem burley. Great grower, easy curing, minimal aging, mild by burley standards. A keeper in my book.
    I see. Thanks for that info. I'll consider it. Might be more to my liking that TN90. I'm looking for mild--too old for strong cigarettes. The word "twist" makes me think of chaw. Is that it's main use--or for pipes? Good for cigarettes?

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    Yellow Twist Bud is a mild Burley.

I had good success sun curing various flue cure varieties. They tend to fall in sweetness between flue cured and air cured. I can recommend Reams 158, GL 939 (Gold Leaf 939), and Costello. Skychaser sells seed for all three. Northwood Seeds Retail
    Thanks, Knuck. Which of those is mildest? Are any good for making Red? Gold Leaf 939 sounds like a nice light blonde leaf. There are so many varietals of VA flue, it's hard to find out their properties.

I grew GL 737 this year, I think an earlier version of the 939 Knucks mentioned. Nice plant and cured well. NC-95 was the easiest to color cure of the flue cure types I grew this year. Climate and soil seems to have a big impact on the different flue cure varieties, so I would recommend you select at least 2 FC types to see which does better. Dixie Bright 27 was also a good one for me.

Ytb also matures fast, so might be a good choice for your shorter growing/curing season. Good cigarette blender for sure.

I grew GL 737 this year, I think an earlier version of the 939 Knucks mentioned. Nice plant and cured well. NC-95 was the easiest to color cure of the flue cure types I grew this year. Climate and soil seems to have a big impact on the different flue cure varieties, so I would recommend you select at least 2 FC types to see which does better. Dixie Bright 27 was also a good one for me.
    Yep, I'm thinking I should grow 2 or even 3 types of FC. I have space for 40-50 plants, maybe more. The GL type seems likely to be light. This NC-95, can it be caramelized at high temp to make "Red?" In what way did Dixie Bright 27 turn out good? How would you rank them, milder to stronger?

Thanks, DGB,

CT

Ytb also matures fast, so might be a good choice for your shorter growing/curing season. Good cigarette blender for sure.
    YTB has a lot of good press here. Sounds good to me. I'll grow it for my burley, goodbye TN90. One down. Now to figure out the mildest oriental and learn more about everybody's experience with different FC.

Maybe deluxe stogie Bob will chime in. You had a lot of FC experience. I'll have to go over Bob's grow logs. My questions might be answered in them.

CT, the YTB is quite a bit different than the TN90. I would not pitch one in favor of the other.
    If you are still considering orientals for your grow, I would suggest Bursa. A columnar plant that will grow in excess of 8ft tall and main leaves the size of a serving plate ain't nothing to sneeze at, in the class of Turkish tobaccos, which generally run smallish. And it cures easily!
    I can see where you are most interested in the Virginias, and that's all well and good. I would suggest you grow a small amount of Florida Sumatra. It's a magnificent plant, as they go, is good in blends, and for cigars or pipe. DS should have nice pics of them.
    Best
    rc

I can't offer much advice on cigarette tobacco.

For pipe blending, I like:
    • VA Bright Leaf
    • Harrow Velvet burley
    • Prilep 66-9/7

Bob

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast