Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Need some advice guys - varieties to plant

Bursa is the only Turkish plant I grow.it is a good producer. And blends nicely with other cigarette varieties to make the perfect smoke.
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Quote Originally Posted by CT Tobaccoman View Post
    Sounds good to me too. Does Northwoods have the seed?
    I believe this is the right link for you:

http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm
    Maks

Quote Originally Posted by rainmax View Post
    I believe this is the right link for you:

http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm
    I agree! I have to order some seeds from him soon, unless my late planted Little Dutch finally blooms. It seems to really like the Arizona winter time though! About 65* to 70* in the day, and no frost.
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    Bursa is the only Turkish plant I grow.it is a good producer. And blends nicely with other cigarette varieties to make the perfect smoke.
    What does that taste like? I have seed, and am wondering if that could possibly be used in a Cigar.
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaDave View Post
    What does that taste like? I have seed, and am wondering if that could possibly be used in a Cigar.
    You can put any tobacco in a cigar. LOL.

Being serious though, I have seen mentioned that Bursa grown at wider spacing than traditional (12-16") gives leaf with a "slight cigar character" instead of a traditional "oriental" flavor. It is a part of my regular grow indefinitely. At 12" spacing, they get about 6'tall for me with 10-12" leaves and a nice "floral" note to the smoke.

I happened to like my bursa quite a bit at 24" spacing.
    BarG

Bursa has a distinct, incense-like aroma, and can be very sweet. It´s said to be higher in nicotine than other Orientals (I have not made my mind up about that yet, just had a few samples from last summers harvest). It´s a nice addition to a cigar, it also can be smoked on its own. If grown bigger the leaves have a very usable shape and size for cigar-making purposes.

If you have seeds, grow it. It´s quite a decorative plant as well, with eye-catching red flowers. Air-cured leaves turn to a pretty reddish-brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Planter View Post
    Bursa has a distinct, incense-like aroma, and can be very sweet. It´s said to be higher in nicotine than other Orientals (I have not made my mind up about that yet, just had a few samples from last summers harvest). It´s a nice addition to a cigar, it also can be smoked on its own. If grown bigger the leaves have a very usable shape and size for cigar-making purposes.

If you have seeds, grow it. It´s quite a decorative plant as well, with eye-catching red flowers. Air-cured leaves turn to a pretty reddish-brown.
    I see. Incense flavor is not what I want in a cigarette. I don't really have to grow any Oriental, a pound from WLT will last me a long time. Maybe I'll grow a little Izmur or Prilep. Mostly, I want to grow flue cured Virginia, a little YTB to try, a bit of TN90 and maybe a few Conn Broadleaf plants for cigar wrapper. 75% of my 2015 grow will be VA flue, and hope to have space for 50-60 total plants

Anybody know the difference between VA Brightleaf and NC-95? (not sure that is the right number) or other typical VA cigarette tobacco? I noticed that in 2014 Bob managed to produce VA Red at high temp and more lighter leaves too. I think he did it with the VA Brightleaf type.

I'll have to figure out some way to cure FC. Never done that--very different from my experience on Connecticut farms. But there is a lot of info on this forum.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by CT Tobaccoman View Post
    I see. Incense flavor is not what I want in a cigarette. I don't really have to grow any Oriental, a pound from WLT will last me a long time. Maybe I'll grow a little Izmur or Prilep. Mostly, I want to grow flue cured Virginia, a little YTB to try, a bit of TN90 and maybe a few Conn Broadleaf plants for cigar wrapper. 75% of my 2015 grow will be VA flue, and hope to have space for 50-60 total plants

Anybody know the difference between VA Brightleaf and NC-95? (not sure that is the right number) or other typical VA cigarette tobacco? I noticed that in 2014 Bob managed to produce VA Red at high temp and more lighter leaves too. I think he did it with the VA Brightleaf type.

I'll have to figure out some way to cure FC. Never done that--very different from my experience on Connecticut farms. But there is a lot of info on this forum.

CT
    I use either/both Izmir Ozbas and Prilep P66-9/7 in cigarettes. You can't go wrong with either one.

Click the "Observations" link on each page to compare leaf size, plant size, nicotine, etc. between the Virginia Bright Leaf and the NC 95.
    http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...lay.pl?1447357
    http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...lay.pl?1447352
    (Not all info available for all varieties)

If you don't feel up to building a flue cure chamber, I have been quite satisfied with sun curing my flue cure varieties. The sweetness falls between flue cured and air cured.

The double toasted burley from whole leaf is really amazing. i had some mixed in with lemon virginia to try it and it tasted like a true marlborough.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast