Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Very strange Habano2000 plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

My plant are 2 weeks in the ground today, all the varieties are doing well accept the Long Red (last few seeds I had left) after the flippen dog thought he will go for a few runs through my bed, and the Habano2000 wrappers. The plants are about 8 inches high and most of them had flower buds. I nipped them all out and hope the suckers will grow out nice and strong without making the buds. Growing tobacco for many years now and never seen that early flower buds on tobacco, well maybe the odd one here and there. Has anybody else had that from Habano2000? And the possible reason for this.

Smokin Harley

are these grown from seeds you saved ? I have to try to remember my horticulture education here but theres only few reasons I can give to an early flower bud happening. First of all, it could be genetics . Im sure you can understand the terminology and example. plant Aa and Bb are crossed. you will have any combination of AB,Ab,aB and ab. For now we can just assume the A or B are always tall plants and a and b are always short plants. If you cross its 4 offspring , you can get all tall plants (AB)and all short plants (ab)and the most part of the rest will throw a variety (Ab or aB). Its in the genes that determine plant size, some grow to be short and some tall and a lot of in between. Chances are the genes that went to make those seeds had more short than anything else . A plant also needs x amount of light or lack of to set flower buds. If you started them indoors then set them out ,the amount of light in the indoor location may have been over abundant and then when it went outside to natural light , it was fooled into "thinking" its now in a fall time of year and it decided it was time to set bud. Almost like forcing a bulb , if you take a bulb and want it to grow out of its normal growth season you put it in cold storage for a while then take it out and once it gets the right growth temperature it will grow. Under artificial light and optimal temps it will flower. If one flower got fertilized by the same donor , you may have a strain of fast growing midget tobacco plants. at 8 inches tall, this would definitely not make good leaf or offspring plants, so you may want to destroy that batch.

Ben Brand

Smokin.
Got the seeds from somebody at ftt, sorry can't remember who. Planted my seedlings at a very young (4 leaf stage) into floating trays. One of the plants got a seedpod when it was about 4 inches high and I didn't think much of it. The trays had lots of sun. Must be a genetic thing.

ArizonaDave

Smokin.
Got the seeds from somebody at ftt, sorry can't remember who. Planted my seedlings at a very young (4 leaf stage) into floating trays. One of the plants got a seedpod when it was about 4 inches high and I didn't think much of it. The trays had lots of sun. Must be a genetic thing.

Huh. I have Habano2000 seeds, but haven't grown them out yet. Hopefully they're not going to stay that small, but would've been cool for a house plant. If you still have a couple seeds left, maybe I could send you some? Then again I know nothing about sending seeds in the mail overseas.

Is it cool out? There could be some kind of genetic code like the true Mammoth, Jessica at the Nicotania project posted about a while back. Where the plant went from warm to cool, and automatically started blooming because of shock? Hopefully that's all.

Cigar

I grew Hab2000 for two years never seen that happen to my plants? I have seen that happen to veggies before mostly due to the shock thing..btw the most cool[cold] hardy tobacco I ever grown was the Vuleta Abajo Ive seen those grow when nights were in the 30's several days in-row every thing else would long dead,but they just keep on going hardy little things!

Cigar

Smokin Harley

I grew Hab2000 for two years never seen that happen to my plants? I have seen that happen to veggies before mostly due to the shock thing..btw the most cool[cold] hardy tobacco I ever grown was the Vuleta Abajo Ive seen those grow when nights were in the 30's several days in-row every thing else would long dead,but they just keep on going hardy little things!

Cigar
thats really good to know since I have seed for vuelta abajo and I live in IL...

Ben Brand

I think my H2000 are from some Bonzai variety. Knipped the buds ouut, but even the suckers are begining to grow flower buds. Thats it no more Habano 2000 for me

Cigar

sorry to here that about the Hab2000 plants you have there..would have made good smoking leaf if grew ok.

Cigar

CT Tobaccoman

Never heard of flowering out after only 2 weeks. Only thing I know is that there were a lot of problems with H2000 when it first was developed. It disappeared from the scene for 5 years or so, and now seems to be OK. So maybe the seeds came from the early days of development.

It's a beautiful wrapper but can be difficult. Have to be certain seeds are not hybridized and relatively new. Also, if the sun is very intense where you are, H-2000 does better as a shade grown plant.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Isn't H2000 a hybrid? if so you can't plant seeds someone saved and expect them to grow like the real thing. BTW the most common reason for tobacco flowering early is cool temps. Since none of your other tobacco is flowering early I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably due to a wild cat in your area...:rolleyes:

CT Tobaccoman

Isn't H2000 a hybrid? if so you can't plant seeds someone saved and expect them to grow like the real thing. BTW the most common reason for tobacco flowering early is cool temps. Since none of your other tobacco is flowering early I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably due to a wild cat in your area...:rolleyes:

Hmm, that's a good question. Aren't all tobaccos hybrids, or at least crossed with others of their kind so as to produce certain desirable qualities? I would think that by now there is a stable varietal called H-2000. I think originally it was a cross between 2 or maybe 3 Cuban types, one of which was a cigarette tobacco grown there. The rumor that it had Conn shade in its lineage isn't true, I heard. At first it was very susceptible to blue mold and maybe other diseases but it has been around almost 20 years now, so there must be good seed somewhere. It is grown commercially, in Honduras at least. I'm no botanist and most of what I am saying is hearsay, but I suspect that, over the years there may have been different things called H2000. All things considered, it seems like a case of bad seed, IMHO

CT Tobaccoman

Skychaser has some nice photos and info on his website about the Habano 2000: http://nwtseeds.com/habano_2000.htm

Thanks for link. Nice looking tobacco. I like it alot as wrapper. Not that easy to find. Montecristo has very pricey cigars wrapped with it, and Thompson's catalog has a box of cigars they say are wrapped in it for about a buck a stick, 100 cigars for $99.99, I think it was. I don't trust that one, but who knows, maybe it is a really good bargain. My gambling days with catalog bargains are over, having ended up with about 80 cigars that I hate--very harsh or very bad draw is the usual thing.

But, I am rambling. Personally, I am wary of trying to grow H-2000. Just too many reports of problems. And as wrapper one should grow it under shade. I'm not about to build a shade tent in the backyard. I have the idea that Criollo 98 wrapper is also shade grown commercially.

If I were 20 years younger, I'd move to the Dominican or Honduras and work tobacco there. In Conn, the ratio of working tobacco people to ex-tobacco people must be 1000:1. One could have a nice career down there.

CT Tobaccoman

Why not?, It only takes about 15 minutes!.. go for it

No, man. space is tight, and anyway there's nothing shade grown that I want to raise this summer.

I'd like to experiment with shade grown H-2000 and Criollo 98, even Sumatra sometime, even CT bdlf under shade (have never heard of this ever being tried)--but not this year. And of course, the tying wires, end wires, guy wires, deadmen, strong poles to withstand wind--having done it for a living I wouldn't be happy unless I made it "right." Too big of a job. Just gonna grow some ciggy baccy and maybe a few FL Sumatra plants. It's about saving money by growing what I buy most this time, and I will be having enough trouble learning to cure VA flue.

Living situation is uncertain too. Might be Cape Cod backyard again or might be "borrowed" 3,000 sq ft or more of actual tobacco land in Conn Valley. So, keeping it as simple and helpful to my actual needs as possible.

CT

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
My plant are 2 weeks in the ground today, all the varieties are doing well accept the Long Red (last few seeds I had left) after the flippen dog thought he will go for a few runs through my bed, and the Habano2000 wrappers. The plants are about 8 inches high and most of them had flower buds. I nipped them all out and hope the suckers will grow out nice and strong without making the buds. Growing tobacco for many years now and never seen that early flower buds on tobacco, well maybe the odd one here and there. Has anybody else had that from Habano2000? And the possible reason for this.

I got 1 selection of Habana 2000 last year and grew them for a grow out and had the same thing. 8"-10" hight by the time they started blooming, which was about 3 weeks after transplanting. I thout it was because they were in the cluster grow but they were the only ones that did it. the whole plant was harvest for leaf and seeds before any of the other plants started blooming. I didn't get much leaf but the leaf wasn't bad looking.

Cigar

May ask you guys were got/bought your Hab2000 seeds from..like said before I grew them 2-years in row with no problems?

Cigar

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
. And of course, the tying wires, end wires, guy wires, deadmen, strong poles to withstand wind--having done it for a living I wouldn't be happy unless I made it "right." Too big of a job.

Actually, it is not! No need for wires, braces etc. Once you bend your conduit, it only takes 15 minutes to put a shade cloth tent up. I usually grow 2 dozen plants under shade every year (but not this past year). My system does not require any strings to be tied to the tobacco, nor guide wires etc. I've only had 1 plant that had it's bud head snapped off in a thunderstorm.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/990-How-I-grow-Shade-Leaf-Tobacco?highlight=conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.