Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Adding Fish trimming for fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I was in luck this year to get myself 3 spring salmon and 7 sockeye. I'm smoking the lot of them and saved the guts and saving the trimming (bones, fins, ect) as I use them. I'm going to start rotting this soon in some compost material to add to the rows. any one else use fish in their garden?

bonehead

i used fish parts before and they worked good. once i burried some fresh and some critter dug up some tomatoe plants to get to them. they work real good if you don't get invaded.

Cigar

For years I have used fish emulsion+kelp+molasses as a foilage spray on plants..works great on anything that you can grow including tobacco..I like it alot because it wont burn plants and you cant over do-it like other stuff..the only bad thing is the smell..on hot summer days my neighbors loved me hehe and for days every stray cat around would visit my yard at nite lol

Cigar

Smokin Harley

back when I was still with my ex we had a small koi pond and a couple times a year I would deep clean it and back flush the gunk off the bottom right to the garden. along with the manure from my daughters rabbits I had one helluva good garden almost every year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I. Buried my fish scraps here recently and my 5 month old bulldog puppies dug them up,..pissed me off.they dug up some cabbage plants also

chillardbee

I'm taking out the last two springs to smoke this evening and taking out the guts and left overs from the previous fish to thaw as well. I took out the blender and fed the scraps into it and made a purè out of it. I'll be doing that to the rest to add to the garden. My thought is to blend it fine enough so critters can't really glean anything from it and if they want to start digging up the garden, it'l save me the rotor tilling this spring :)

Ben Brand

Just bought me some Seagrow this morning (Fish emulsion) for my cigar tobacco. Silly question, wont it make the tobacco smell and taste fishy, after curing and fermentation??

chillardbee

I actually don't know if it would or not impart a fish smell but I would think not. The plants gather and use nutrients and are changed during metabolism. Apart from that, I'm putting the fish puree well enough in advance to rot and spread through the soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.