Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Creamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIM

What leaf or combination of leaves does it take to get a creamy character? I get nice chocolate and pepper notes between using a broadleaf wrapper, corojo viso, and a strip of mata fina(recommendation of this board). If I could just add some creaminess I'd have a really good blend I'd never get tired of.

ArizonaDave

What leaf or combination of leaves does it take to get a creamy character? I get nice chocolate and pepper notes between using a broadleaf wrapper, corojo viso, and a strip of mata fina(recommendation of this board). If I could just add some creaminess I'd have a really good blend I'd never get tired of.

Add Piloto seco Cubano or viso to your flller, and maybe a Dominican Binder when they come in. In order to get creamy, you need a slightly tart (Braz. Mata Fina) Mixed with a sweeter leaf, and you'll get a creamy taste.

HIM

Add Piloto seco Cubano or viso to your flller, and maybe a Dominican Binder when they come in. In order to get creamy, you need a slightly tart (Braz. Mata Fina) Mixed with a sweeter leaf, and you'll get a creamy taste.

Its ironic you mention that because Ive been using piloto cubano seco, dominican binders, and mata fina. Its good and I think the blend has a lot of potential but I don't find it very creamy. Do you think piloto cubano viso would be better instead of using the seco? Or should I be using more mata fina to bring it out? I know when I ordered the piloto and the corojo I was undecided on which to get seco/viso for. Heres the blend Ive been working on...

2 piloto cubano seco
1 corojo 99 viso
1/2 mata fina
1 criollo 98 ligero
dominican binder
broadleaf or PA oscuro wrappers

webmost

How long are you allowing your cigars to season?

Roll twice as many as you need, put the extra half away in a good cedar cigar box, in an ice chest to keep the humidity right, then try them in May, and see if they don't taste much creamier.

HIM

Only a few weeks so probably not long enough but I have a bunch acclimating and resting in cigar boxes in the walk in.

webmost

Only a few weeks so probably not long enough but I have a bunch acclimating and resting in cigar boxes in the walk in.
"in the walk in"? Oh Jeez!

I need to come over to your house.

HIM

lol its not that glamorous or very big. but it is nice storing everything in boxes.

CT Tobaccoman

Try a CONN-USA wrapper or a CONN-HOND wrapper, and maybe Pilato Cubano and/or Dominican Olor in the filler, if you can get those tobaccos. I'd send u a few CONN-USA leaves to try.

A CONN-ECUADOR wrapper has no taste, so skip that.

CT

HIM

Well, show us a pic, and tell us how you made it.

Its pretty much just a closet. My central air keeps it at 62f and the RH is always a steady 62-64%. Basically theres no difference between storing in my humidor or in cigar boxes they're essentially the same.

Try a CONN-USA wrapper or a CONN-HOND wrapper, and maybe Pilato Cubano and/or Dominican Olor in the filler, if you can get those tobaccos. I'd send u a few CONN-USA leaves to try.

CT

I do have some piloto cubano. Im going to give the sticks some more rest then revisit and see if things have improved. If that doesn't do it I may take you up on your offer as I certainly appreciate the generosity.

Raodwarior

62-64% is great for long term aging but for smoking, especially the leaf we use here you might want to kick it up to 67-68%. Now if you have a walk-in full of ISOM's rock on great humidity.

HIM

Ive tried storing higher in the past and I found a while ago I prefer to store and burn NCs at about 62-64 and 58-60 for CCs. The shops down here store at around 70 and the cigars just get hot and bitter too easily and the flavors are muddled. Not too mention the burn problems. As with many things in this hobby though everyones got their preferences and theres few true wrong ways of doing things if your enjoying the experience.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
62-64% is great for long term aging but for smoking, especially the leaf we use here you might want to kick it up to 67-68%. Now if you have a walk-in full of ISOM's rock on great humidity.

What is an ISOM?

Ive tried storing higher in the past and I found a while ago I prefer to store and burn NCs at about 62-64 and 58-60 for CCs. The shops down here store at around 70 and the cigars just get hot and bitter too easily and the flavors are muddled. Not too mention the burn problems. As with many things in this hobby though everyones got their preferences and theres few true wrong ways of doing things if your enjoying the experience.

What is a CC and a NC?

ArizonaDave

Its ironic you mention that because Ive been using piloto cubano seco, dominican binders, and mata fina. Its good and I think the blend has a lot of potential but I don't find it very creamy. Do you think piloto cubano viso would be better instead of using the seco? Or should I be using more mata fina to bring it out? I know when I ordered the piloto and the corojo I was undecided on which to get seco/viso for. Heres the blend Ive been working on...

2 piloto cubano seco
1 corojo 99 viso
1/2 mata fina
1 criollo 98 ligero
dominican binder
broadleaf or PA oscuro wrappers

How long are you allowing your cigars to season?

Roll twice as many as you need, put the extra half away in a good cedar cigar box, in an ice chest to keep the humidity right, then try them in May, and see if they don't taste much creamier.

CT

The suggestions by webmost and CT Tobaccoman are great suggestions, and do make a difference.
I have a similar, but slightly different flavor profile.
I like the Nic. Hab. Viso more than the Corojo Viso. The reason behind this for me is the stronger woody taste seems to add something for me I like.
I really like the Habana 2000 wrapper.
If you get close to a "cream taste" with any of these, bring the Mata Fina up or down ¼ leaf until it locks in to your flavor profile.

For Chocolate, I really like Criollo 98' Liguero. I use 2 leaves in a Churchill size.

Are you talking about the "cream" taste similar to the San Lotano Oval robusto? There are some casings in there with salt, sugar, and possibly a cream casing. I love that taste, but have strayed away from chemical casings personally because of the possible health side effects. Salt, sugar, Alcohols, and natural sources are a better alternative.

Now I agree with webmost and CT Tobaccoman, and possibly other posts on pg. 2 I've not read yet.

HIM

I tried a corona I rolled with 1 piloto seco(split into 2 tubes), 1/2 corojo 99 viso(1 tube) with a dominican binder and broadleaf wrapper. The cream and sweet spice notes came through big time and the way it played off the broadleaf was perfect. It reminded me of a mix between a Tatuaje Verocu 5 with a touch of Herrera Esteli if you can imagine that. Needless to say I think these have serious potential and Ive already rolled up a box worth to lay down.
I think with the others I smoked when I originally posted this the piloto was just being overpowered. Letting it make up a majority of the filler so far has yielded great results.

HIM

The suggestions by webmost and CT Tobaccoman are great suggestions, and do make a difference.
I have a similar, but slightly different flavor profile.
I like the Nic. Hab. Viso more than the Corojo Viso. The reason behind this for me is the stronger woody taste seems to add something for me I like.
I really like the Habana 2000 wrapper.
If you get close to a "cream taste" with any of these, bring the Mata Fina up or down ¼ leaf until it locks in to your flavor profile.

For Chocolate, I really like Criollo 98' Liguero. I use 2 leaves in a Churchill size.

Are you talking about the "cream" taste similar to the San Lotano Oval robusto? There are some casings in there with salt, sugar, and possibly a cream casing. I love that taste, but have strayed away from chemical casings personally because of the possible health side effects. Salt, sugar, Alcohols, and natural sources are a better alternative.

Now I agree with webmost and CT Tobaccoman, and possibly other posts on pg. 2 I've not read yet.

How is everyone getting that much ligero in their rolls I don't get it? I can't use more than one leaf without the cigar turning into some 54+ RG monster by the time I add the seco and viso. I have been using the criollo 98 ligero though and Ive been liking it. Paired with a strip of mata fina has been giving me nice cocoa and coffee notes.

Ive done a little reading and got some info from Gdaddy on casing but I've decided to just stick with the leaf as is. Its interesting stuff but I'm happy with the results I'm getting so far.

HIM

I save up the bigger RG's for the pool in the summer..

Fair enough I try to stay to 52 RGs and smaller. Any more than that is just too big for me, with the exception being box presses and Behikes. Probably why 1 leaf has been enough ligero.

Status
Not open for further replies.