Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapping figurados

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

I rolled a few figurados with the last few leaves I have left, mostly scraps, thought Iv'e got the molds, might as well give it another bash. Tried to wrap them tonight, with newspaper, just to practice. Got no wrappers left, only a few Hue Huetenango leaves, not the best wrappers if you ask me. A total disaster, used the whole newspaper and couldn't wrap one. Used all the knowhow I've seen om ftt, the curly ends etc, but the beginning of the cigar is a total stuff-up, if I get the beginning right, then the rest is a mess, wrapper don't overlap propperly and so on. .
I admit defeat, realy would like wrap the figurado but I can't. Can anybody PLEASE help, I know there was posts in the past, and I had a look at them, but is it realy that difficult to wrap a figurado or am I just flippen stupid?

Ben Brand

And to ask the silliest question of them all!!!! Which side goes in your mouth, the thick or the thin side. I've got it as the thin side. Hope I'm right.

Cigar

Ben I always wondered that myself..so dont feel left out on that question hehe.

Cigar

webmost

Thicker end.

The end which the wrapper tends towards.

The foot is open, while the head may well be capped.

In fact, I try to make my perfectos much rounder at the head, because that way they stay in the mouth more easily and produce a better volume once they get going. The tapered foot makes them easy to light.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Below is a graphic that I've posted before (I can't find the thread).

perfectoWrapping.jpg

A cylindrical cigar (parejo) can lie flat on the rolling board while wrapping, since the sides of the cigar are aligned with the cigar's long axis. This also works for gradual tapers, since the wrapper's stretch can accommodate it.

For a perfecto tip, in which the side surface of the cigar is not aligned to the long axis of the cigar, the bound bulk needs to be lifted at an angle to the axis while wrapping the taper. For a 45º taper at the foot, for example, the head end of the bulk is lifted 45º.

This presents a second problem. A straight strip will wrap a cylinder, but a cone is wrapped with a truncated, "pie-slice" curve. [If you disassemble a conical paper cup, the flattened paper is curved.] So, for a tapered section, the wrapper needs to be trimmed in a curve. If both head and foot are tapered, then the wrapper is trimmed to a crude 'S' shape, as indicated in the diagram.

Top_wooden.JPG

Imagine a beet-shaped child's top--the kind that spins. If it's lying on its side, and you nudge it, it rolls in a curved path.

A very stretchy wrapper does not have to be as tightly curved as a non-stretchy wrapper. A severe taper requires a severely curved wrapper.

• trim the wrapper in an 'S' pattern
  • lift the head while wrapping the foot
  • lift the foot while wrapping the head
Bob

DGBAMA

Below is a graphic that I've posted before (I can't find the thread).

perfectoWrapping.jpg

A cylindrical cigar (parejo) can lie flat on the rolling board while wrapping, since the sides of the cigar are aligned with the cigar's long axis. This also works for gradual tapers, since the wrapper's stretch can accommodate it.

For a perfecto tip, in which the side surface of the cigar is not aligned to the long axis of the cigar, the bound bulk needs to be lifted at an angle to the axis while wrapping the taper. For a 45º taper at the foot, for example, the head end of the bulk is lifted 45º.

This presents a second problem. A straight strip will wrap a cylinder, but a cone is wrapped with a truncated, "pie-slice" curve. [If you disassemble a conical paper cup, the flattened paper is curved.] So, for a tapered section, the wrapper needs to be trimmed in a curve. If both head and foot are tapered, then the wrapper is trimmed to a crude 'S' shape, as indicated in the diagram.

Top_wooden.JPG

Imagine a beet-shaped child's top--the kind that spins. If it's lying on its side, and you nudge it, it rolls in a curved path.

A very stretchy wrapper does not have to be as tightly curved as a non-stretchy wrapper. A severe taper requires a severely curved wrapper.

• trim the wrapper in an 'S' pattern
  • lift the head while wrapping the foot
  • lift the foot while wrapping the head
Bob
Great explanation of the physics. The motions required will obviously take lots of practice.

Ben Brand

Thanks for the info Bob, will try again!!
Webmost if I look at the graphic then it shows that the thick end (foot) is where the wrapper starts, so that tells me that's the end you must light, am I right?

Smokin Harley

i still wrap my perfectos in three pieces. I wrap the foot taper so it just comes over the shoulder , dab some glue on the straight piece wrapper and roll that again just over the shoulder to the head. then finish up the head and cap. Sometimes I get it , most times I dont. Kinda frustrating sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.