Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greetings, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to learn without getting underfoot. Last summer, my family bought our first house, and I've been like a cat on a hot tin roof, anxious to get started growing food (& cet.).

I just ordered my first seeds - Perique and Catterton - and I hope to try to make a little press and just enjoy the process. I live square in the Burley belt, so I know the weed should grow here.

edit: I'm a semi-experienced vegetable gardener, and I grew up working in ornamentals, trees, shrubs, annuals, and perennials at family-owned nurseries, so I have a pretty green thumb. If my first grow goes well, I'd be interested in seed-banking, especially if the dropped Cuba embargo opens opportunities for new seeds.

Thanks for the lovely forum.

webmost

Hey professor, how ya been, all good? How's your princely star student? Serendipity all around, I suspect.

Smokin Harley

Hey Prof, welcome. I've got a distant background in Horticulture myself . I grew Burley 33 tobacco once about 25 years ago . Next year growing 9 varieties .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Welcome! Since you are growing Perique can I assume you are a pipe smoker? BTW, you can make Perique out of any kind of tobacco, it doesn't have to be from Perique seed.

leverhead

Welcome! Growing is pretty strait forward, if you like getting outdoors, it's good fun. Getting it cured well has more curves. There's lots of varieties to try. For me, picking a reasonable number of varieties to grow is the hardest part.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I'd suggest you grow about 10 varieties instead of 2 more salection the. Better.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I guess he's a pipe smoker.

Welcome aboard, ProfessorPangloss ! I hope your grow goes well and makes you a seed-banker, PanSporos.

BTW, my new avatar got corresponded with the catchphrase. I can use it more often now. :rolleyes:

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I'd suggest you grow about 10 varieties instead of 2 more salection the. Better.

What else do you suggest I try? I have a shed in which to air-cure limited amounts of leaf (and also an attic). However, the wife wants us to go crazy with vegetables this year, so I'll have to budget my space.

istanbulin

Founding Member
You already ordered the Perique seeds which may smoke like Burley without pressure curing. From what I get from your first post, you're inclined to make a press to make "Perique". Additionally, for pipe, you may choose a Brightleaf and an Oriental.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Definitely grow some Turkish. Unless you plan to flue cure or sun cure I'd not bother planting a "Virginia" type tobacco.

I was pleased with my sun cured - Virginias (flue cure varieties) last year. The sweetness falls in between true flue curing and air curing. Due to the success, I have no plans to build a flue curing chamber.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I was pleased with my sun cured - Virginias (flue cure varieties) last year. The sweetness falls in between true flue curing and air curing. Due to the success, I have no plans to build a flue curing chamber.

That has been my experience too. After tasting the sun cured Virginia Brightleaf I will not be building a flue chamber. Instead I will be building a bigger frame to sun cure with.

Status
Not open for further replies.