Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chillardbees Grow Em' Like A Pair 2015 Grow Blog (Season 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
As the title says, I'll be growing in a double row fashion this year. 2 rows that are a foot apart for the double row. plant spacing within each row within the double row will 2 feet and the two rows will be staggered. The space from the edge of each double row will be 4'.

I've divided the garden differently this year for ease of access and keeping plants in order. The grow list this year is-

DELGOLD
DELCREST 66
DELHI 61
DELHI 76
YELLOW MAMMOTH
YELLOW SPECIAL
GOLDEN HARVEST
WHITE GOLD
BRIGHT YELLOW
CAROLINA BRIGHT
YELLOW GOLD
GOLD DOLLAR
VIRGINIA GOLD
VIRGINIA BRIGHT LEAF
LEMON BRIGHT
HARONOVA
HARROW 12
HARROW VELVET
BARNETT SPECIAL
BURLEY MAMMOTH KY16

A total of 5 burley varieties and 15 fluecured varieties (20 varieties in all). And here is the map.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• baccy patch 1.jpg
    baccy patch 1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 244
  • baccy patch 2.jpg
    baccy patch 2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 243
  • baccy patch 3.jpg
    baccy patch 3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 237
  • baccy patch 4.jpg
    baccy patch 4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 237

chillardbee

The garden is still in disarray from last years grow but we had a couple of early cold snaps that killed the leaf proper after I had weed wacked the stalks and all of this material has already rotted to nothing and I'm sure it's going to add nutrients to the soil. I've got to rack up the remaining stalks, pull root balls, rotortill, add some home made fish fertilizer and compost, eventually do a soil test, then get the plastic row covers on.

I will be starting a few extra plants this year for a friend of mine so he can be self suffecient in his habit. I might start some oriental varieties for the cornfeild grow. On my own yard I'll already have 279 planted and in the cornfield, if I plant will have 40-60. the oriental varieties being considered is Bursa, Kozarsko 541, Prilep p66-9/7, and Izmir.

I'll be selecting plants for seed as well. 2-3 out of each variety should do the trick. This is a special gro this year for me because many of the fluecured varieties were ones I've been trying hard to find and a big thanks to JessicaNicot, Deluxe Stogie, and Knucklehead and anyone else who helped get this material into our gardens. It's going to be a worderful year this year.

ArizonaDave

You have some very interesting varieties you're getting ready to grow. I wish you'd grow at least 5 plants each variety though. I especially like the Prelep, those are some small leaves, and grow in a community or close together.

Carolina Bright also sounds interesting. Plus you have some I've never heard of, like:YELLOW MAMMOTH, YELLOW SPECIAL, and HARONOVA. I'd personally like to try the Yellow Mammoth, so maybe I trade you some seeds after you harvest your seeds?

DGBAMA

Looks like a good plan. If you give up a little "walkway" and widen the double row spacing to 18" instead of 12", you end up with nearly a full 2' between plants within the double row, that is how I spaced mine this year.

Meanwhile I will be going the opposite way next year, opting for single rows. Going back reviewing pics and notes, I can clearly see that the leaves on the outside of the double rows ripened better than the ones toward the center (shading themselves I think). Since I seem to have issues getting enough sun to the leaves for good thickening, I am going to try singles next year and give up my gargantuan 4' walkways I did this year. Big leaves but low net weight is not what I want. For me, and my garden spot each plant seems to need every bit of sun I can get to it.

DGBAMA

Food for thought on the "light burleys" I grew this year:

YTB had the largest leaves, but many cured thin and this one is a BUG MAGNET.

Golden Burley was nearly identical in growth form to the YTB but with thicker leaves and 1/10th the bugs

Harrow Velvet was nice but lackluster in size compared to the above two.

YMMV

BarG

Founding Member
Chillardbee, I am impressed that your grow is so good. Canada, compare that to the lower 48 climate wise. I am in the southernmost region and rarely see temps below 30 degrees.

DGBAMA

Harrow has a good following, it just wasn't a "star" for ME, good but not great. It could well be the best one for YOU. Climate, soil, weather, etc. The beauty of so many varieties being accessible here is we can each find what works best for our needs and growing conditions.

chillardbee

Chillardbee, I am impressed that your grow is so good. Canada, compare that to the lower 48 climate wise. I am in the southernmost region and rarely see temps below 30 degrees.

If you follow the grow zone on a map of North America, you''l find that our zone is very much like Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee.

attachment.php

Chilliwack is located in the Fraser Valley, South west coast of Canada.

Attachments

• HardinessZones.jpg
    HardinessZones.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 226

chillardbee

Harrow has a good following, it just wasn't a "star" for ME, good but not great. It could well be the best one for YOU. Climate, soil, weather, etc. The beauty of so many varieties being accessible here is we can each find what works best for our needs and growing conditions.

Another variety of burley that seemed to out preformed everything else in 2014 was the N 7371 Burley. Although in all fairness I had only 2 plants well spaced, they still grew 8'+ with thick heavy large leaf in a colum fashion, I was very impressed. The only draw back to this variety is the time it took to bloom and get seed. It was one of the last to bloom.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Actually the other important map is "Plant-Heat Zone" which shows average number of days per year above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C (86 [SUP]o[/SUP]F). I couldn't find a Plant-Heat Zone map for Canada but it's available for the US. It's a copyrighted map so I'm not adding it here but it's available somewhere online. e.g.

On the Plant Hardiness Zone map, zone of western WA, around Seattle, is 8 and it's same for the coastal plain of NC.
When we look at the Plant-Heat Zone map, it's 3 (7-14 days above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C) to 2 (1-7 days above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C) for western WA. For the coastal plain of NC it's 8 (90-120 days above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C). So although they both have same plant hardines zones, western WA has more cool, mostly, summers when compared to the coastal plain of NC.

Zone maps are something but climate is something else.

chillardbee

Actually the other important map is "Plant-Heat Zone" which shows average number of days per year above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C (86 [SUP]o[/SUP]F). I couldn't find a Plant-Heat Zone map for Canada but it's available for the US. It's a copyrighted map so I'm not adding it here but it's available somewhere online. e.g.

On the Plant Hardiness Zone map, zone of western WA, around Seattle, is 8 and it's same for the coastal plain of NC.
When we look at the Plant-Heat Zone map, it's 3 (7-14 days above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C) to 2 (1-7 days above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C) for western WA. For the coastal plain of NC it's 8 (90-120 days above 30 [SUP]o[/SUP]C). So although they both have same plant hardines zones, western WA has more cool, mostly, summers when compared to the coastal plain of NC.

Zone maps are something but climate is something else.

We are about 6 miles north of the border at the sumas crossing so the heat zone for the north west coast of Washington state would be pretty much the same for us as well.

For the run down, our winters are quite mild but wet with with an average of maybe 4-5 days of snow that pretty much melts the next day or 2. we get about 2-5 cold snaps that might last 3-6 days with artic out flow with temps down to -10c although we may on the odd year get a cold snap colder then that. The coldest I've seen here was in 1989 where we had 3 days of -40c. Our last frost is usually the end of March and the first frost is end of October with a give or take of 2 weeks on either side depending on the year. The better part of these 210 frost free days are mid April to mid September giving 150 optimal days of growth. Our spring is a mixed bag of rain and sun emphesis on the rain but once were past mid june we usually start getting the hotter temps and sunnier skys. we might have 2 heat waves that get up to 34c lasting for 4-6 days.

buck

Not sure if zone map and Heat zone take into account the number of daylight hours, but this is a chart for BC.

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
Annual
sun.png
Average Sunlight Hours/ Day01:3803:0003:4805:5607:3207:2609:2908:1306:0003:4002:0201:21 05:01
daylight.png
Average Daylight Hours & Minutes/ Day08:4210:0311:4913:4115:1716:0815:4514:2112:3210:4009:0408:16 12:00
sun-cloud.png
Sunny & (Cloudy) Daylight Hours (%)19 (81)31 (69)33 (67)44 (56)50 (50)47 (53)61 (39)58 (42)49 (51)35 (65)23 (77)17 (83) 42 (58)
sun-altitude.gif
Sun altitude at solar noon on the 21st day (°).2130.441.352.961.164.261.152.741.329.820.717.4 41.2

istanbulin

Founding Member
I just hung around in Chilliwak 5 minutes ago, by google maps. Pretty plain, there're quite amount of farms. The mountains ahead also look good.

dWZk4Z.jpg

bonehead

is lemon bright a type of flue cured plant? my mother likes light cigarettes. if it is a variety where can you find seeds? you seem to grow a lot of tobacco and varieties every year. i wish i had the back to be that ambitious.

ArizonaDave

Another variety of burley that seemed to out preformed everything else in 2014 was the N 7371 Burley. Although in all fairness I had only 2 plants well spaced, they still grew 8'+ with thick heavy large leaf in a colum fashion, I was very impressed. The only draw back to this variety is the time it took to bloom and get seed. It was one of the last to bloom.

Have you ever tried Ergo Burley? It grew great for me. Slow starting off, but great finisher.

rainmax

Founding Member
I've divided the garden differently this year for ease of access and keeping plants in order. The grow list this year is....

Last year Bob started his grow log at 1 st. of January. This year you are the winner. Congratulations.
I believe in great year too. All the best,...

chillardbee

is lemon bright a type of flue cured plant? my mother likes light cigarettes. if it is a variety where can you find seeds? you seem to grow a lot of tobacco and varieties every year. i wish i had the back to be that ambitious.

It is a flue cured variety. I grew it out last year but had only a skiff of seeds from it so I'll be regrowing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.