Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

AZDave's 2nd grow (Spring 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

Well,

I've learned a lot of what to do and what not to do in 2014. Hopefully, I have some of that learning curve down.

I'm having a hard time narrowing down my Spring grow to 4 or 5 varieties. I will also be starting earlier than some of you, because March weather here is like many of your weather in May.

Here's the seeds I'm considering. Some of these are new varieties from either GRIN, Europe, or I have little seed left in that variety--obviously not enough to share with others (that is my goal).

Also considering I'm in AZ, my wife doesn't want too many large leaf plants, and I have limited space. I'll be utilizing 5 gallon buckets in most cases, and a few (up to 10 plants) in ground.

These are what I'm considering:

Habano Colorado (Argentina) (GRIN)

Jorge Grande (Brazil) (GRIN)

Havana 142 (running low)

Brazil Bahia (Europe)

San Andre's (Mexico)

Hacienda del Cura (Europe)

Vueta Abajo (perfect size)

Xanthi Yaka (Perfect size)

Prelep (perfect size)

I need to narrow this down to 4 varieties, maybe 5 or more if I use any of the 3 last types. Any of those should meet the wife's approval for in ground grow.

Any/All feedback would be appreciated!

Ben Brand

Habano Colorado (Argentina) (GRIN)

Havana 142 (running low)

Brazil Bahia (Europe)

San Andre's (Mexico)

Vueta Abajo (perfect size)

Xanthi Yaka (Perfect size)

Prelep (perfect size)
AD
Sorry I've only planted Vuelta and Xanthi Yaka in your list, and for me Vuelta is a realy nice cigar tobacco. So no 1 for me would be Vuelta Abajo, 4 to go. Enjoy.

ArizonaDave

1) Vuelta Abajo

2) Havana long red

3) Habano Colorado (Argentina/GRIN)

I'll grow 3 more varieties on this new list:

Havana 142
Brazil Bahia (Europe)
Little Dutch (considering this one heavily again, I like it)

And, I'm open to suggestion if it's not on the list. Anything goes (that I can buy)

Ben Brand

I've decided to give FL Sumatra another go next season. Planted it 2 grows back but had serious burning issues as a wrapper. I am still looking for a nice sungrown wrapper, I've tried shade grown, but it didn't work for me, now all my tobacco is sungrown.
Its the fun part to decide what to grow, my list change every time I look at it.
There are a few interesting varieties in your list.
Good luck with your selection.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It would be helpful to know what use you have in mind for the tobacco you grow. Also, I've never heard of "Havana long red".

Bob

ArizonaDave

It would be helpful to know what use you have in mind for the tobacco you grow. Also, I've never heard of "Havana long red".

Bob

It will be for Cigars, and mostly for leaf I can't buy at WLT. I agree with you, I've never heard of "Havana long red" either, but that's what the seed pkg. was labeled. I suspect that it could be Penn. long red, and was mislabeled? Since you're an expert on Tobacco plants, I could send them to you for identification???
Also, any great Tobacco that you think I'd like, I'm more than willing to try!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Plant, grow, cure, and then taste. It's the only way to find what variety strokes the harp strings of your own taste buds.

Bob

Cigar

I got the 'Havana Long Red' seed from another member who said he bought it from Seedman few years ago..I grew it 2-years ago beside Penn Red and to me it looked liked the same plants.

Cigar

ArizonaDave

Vuelta Abajo would be my first choice for a "not too large " plant. My second would be La Palma. Both taste excellent

Ok, I do have La Palma. I haven't read up on this one, but I'll add to the list!

1) Vuelta Abajo

2) Havana long red

3) Habano Colorado (Argentina/GRIN)

4) La Palma

Ok, thank you Bob, Jitterbug, and Cigar!

I'll do two more varieties per suggestions,
plus I will grow an Oriental Variety :)

Cigar

The two plants that I have grown that were biggest "producers" were Glessnor and Monte Calme..alot of huge leaves from both..but I never smoked any of the two as of yet. btw I have to correct early post about growing the Havana long red alot with Penn red..sorry it was Long red not Penn red I meant.

Cigar

ArizonaDave

One of my favorite this year, Black Mammoth. Excellent grower and producer, cured easily.

Description on Skychasers site is very good:

http://nwtseeds.com/small_stalk_black_mammoth.htm
I loved those plants! I killed them off with sure stupidity last grow. I will try them again maybe as a late Summer/Fall grow. Speaking of odd, I still have a Virginia Gold Blooming on Christmas day with only the top leaves left (naked blooming plant).

So, yes, I'll add the black mammoth for the fall grow.

ArizonaDave

The two plants that I have grown that were biggest "producers" were Glessnor and Monte Calme..alot of huge leaves from both..but I never smoked any of the two as of yet. btw I have to correct early post about growing the Havana long red alot with Penn red..sorry it was Long red not Penn red I meant.

Cigar

I'm going to go ahead with Havana Long Red, if you give it a thumbs up? What were your most flavorful leaves you've grown??? I'm thinking of adding the Havana 142 or 501, but don't know what Havana 501 tastes like. You sure gave me a lot of seed!!!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would beg that you drop the "Havana" misnomer, and correctly call the variety "Long Red", which sounds like what you have. Creative names invented by seed vendors make the world of tobacco varieties a more confusing mess. A pox upon their houses!

Also, Mont Calme is not a variety. Mont Calme Yellow (or Mont Calme Jaune), which is derived from burley, and Mont Calme Brown (or Mont Calme Brun), which is derived from Havana, are two legitimate varietal names--both developed in Switzerland, I believe.

Bob

ArizonaDave

I would beg that you drop the "Havana" misnomer, and correctly call the variety "Long Red", which sounds like what you have. Creative names invented by seed vendors make the world of tobacco varieties a more confusing mess. A pox upon their houses!

Also, Mont Calme is not a variety. Mont Calme Yellow (or Mont Calme Jaune), which is derived from burley, and Mont Calme Brown (or Mont Calme Brun), which is derived from Havana, are two legitimate varietal names--both developed in Switzerland, I believe.

Bob

Thank you Bob! I appreciate this. If you have any Dominican Olor seeds, I'd love to trade for them, or pay for them. I will drop the "Havana" in Long Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.