Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Questions Regarding Wrapper during Rolling Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORoller55

Hey #12, that sounds about spot on with what I was thinking... Sadly I dont have any Honduran or Dominican. I do have Brazilian Habano Viso, Cameroon, Colombian, and CT Havana 7. Which of these would you reccomend to pair with the CT broadleaf? And any binder preferences?

webmost

If there were a perfect hydration number for a filler, what would it be? Is there one of those Boveda packets that comes in that number? I've got too dry and too wet down pat. haha

I have a half-height ice chest (a Coleman 24 can stacker) we scored on the way driving back from Idaho. I drilled a hole in the lid with one of those door knob hole cutters. Stuck a rear-reading digital hygrometer in the hole. That chest holds my working supply. The rest of my stash where the bags are opened is kept in a regular sized ice chest. The still sealed bags are in the closet. The stacker only holds bags with the blend I'm working on at the moment. Right now, for instance, there's a supply of criollo, corojo, and mata filler; also the prilep, bazooka, and dixie guys recently sent me; then some sumatra binder. Just enough to work with. There's a flat tupperware in there too that holds my wrapper scraps. I let these scraps dry out a few hours before I toss them in that box. I find the moisture coming off the wrapper scraps makes up for what gets lost lifting the lid and also what's needed when drier stuff goes in. Just in case, there's a Cigar Savor humidification block in there full of beads. The whole deal stays pretty stable around 75%. Both filler and binder can come out of that cooler ready to roll at 75%. I've tried 80, and that rolls entubado easier, but takes longer to set up ready to smoke. I've tried less, and it's too crackly to tube up. So in answer to your question I would say 75%.

I like the working stash separate from long term stash. Dunno if anyone else does this. Best of all, this arrangement prevents me having to dig thru umpteen full bags of goodness, opening those bags and letting the contents of long term storage get air dried too often. I only have to delve into the corojo in the big cooler maybe one in a long while.

I wonder how other rollers store their filler?

CORoller55

OK guys, since I dont want to waste a lot of leaf trying a hundred blends (not to mention waiting a month before trying each blend!) I wonder if I could list what leaves I have, and maybe if any of you have some favorite or recommended blends using the leaf that I have, would you mind sharing with me? ;D You could also PM me... Hope Im not touching on an edgy topic regarding anyones "secret recipes", its just since I live in China, and Im running low on my sample leaf, I dont want to waste leaf and time and money more than I have to.

OK, here goes... I have:

Ecuador Shade Wrapper
Cameroon Wrapper
CT Shade Wrapper
CT 1 DW Wrapper

Dominican Binder
Colombian Binder

CT Havana 7
Brazil Habano Viso
Cameroon Seco
Colombian Seco
Nicaraguan Seco
Nicaraguan Viso (run out of Ligero)

I would appreciate it a lot guys...

Best,

Lucas

HIM

OK guys, since I dont want to waste a lot of leaf trying a hundred blends (not to mention waiting a month before trying each blend!) I wonder if I could list what leaves I have, and maybe if any of you have some favorite or recommended blends using the leaf that I have, would you mind sharing with me? ;D You could also PM me... Hope Im not touching on an edgy topic regarding anyones "secret recipes", its just since I live in China, and Im running low on my sample leaf, I dont want to waste leaf and time and money more than I have to.

OK, here goes... I have:

Ecuador Shade Wrapper
Cameroon Wrapper
CT Shade Wrapper
CT 1 DW Wrapper

Dominican Binder
Colombian Binder

CT Havana 7
Brazil Habano Viso
Cameroon Seco
Colombian Seco
Nicaraguan Seco
Nicaraguan Viso (run out of Ligero)

I would appreciate it a lot guys...

Best,

Lucas

check out the members blends thread. It should give you some good ideas.

CORoller55

Hey if you guys wouldnt mind checking out my thread in Swaps and Gifts, titled: "Need filler leaf samples - Trades? Compensation?" It would help me a lot.

Oh, and of course I have another question :) When I roll my finished cigar, a lot of the wrappers come out with little blemishes - it looks a lot like bruising. I have had only a couple that came out blemish-free and with a very smooh color. What gives? I can post pics if you dont know what Im talking about.

CORoller55

bump for the question in the post above, regarding wrappers and a somewhat blemished/bruised final product...

CORoller55

theyre blemished like this:

attachment.php

instead of being smooth and blemish free, like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 128
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 125

DGBAMA

theyre blemished like this:

attachment.php

instead of being smooth and blemish free, like this:

attachment.php

That first pic looks like the wrapper is "inside out", veins showing. The underside of a leaf is normally not as nicely colored and often mottled in appearance.

CORoller55

i can assure u its not inside out. it just turns out blemished and bruised - sometimes with a bruise where the underlying binder veins are showing

DGBAMA

Second idea, a light wrapper over a dark heavy binder may be leaching through color/oils from the binder. Was the binder still damp, or the wrapper very wet when applied?

webmost

How are you going about wetting your wrapper?

I get a lot of mottling myself, because my wrappers have to be so wet in order to conform to the perfecto shape and then shrink down tight. I don't mind the mottling enough to avoid it. I think it comes from spritzing water directly on the leaf. Cause if I soak a towel, then wring it out, and place the leaf between two layers of the towel, and let it sit an hour, no spritzing... then I get a wet leaf without mottling.

So... Question is :: Have you been spritzing water directly onto your wrapper leaf?

CORoller55

@ webmost and DGBAMA: these are both great tips/thoughts. I think both of the things you listed may be issues.

I do spritz the leaf directly, so is that a no-no? What about a humidity chamber like the one I designed on (I think) page 2?

And this brings up the question: How do the big cigar factories prepare their wrapper leaf? Anyone know?

I did roll 4 new uggos last night that Ill have to post on here for you to critique.

webmost

I do spritz the leaf directly, so is that a no-no?

No, it's no no-no you know so long's you don't mind mottling.

What about a humidity chamber like the one I designed on (I think) page 2?

Looked at page two didn't see that maybe I'm blind often happens.

And this brings up the question: How do the big cigar factories prepare their wrapper leaf? Anyone know?

FX Smith's Sons dips each hand in a barrel of water and shakes it around in there. Only factory I've been in. But I've seen vids of other factories where it looks like they use the same total immersion technique. But that prolly makes more sense when you are soaking whole hands of leaves one hand after another.

I did roll 4 new uggos last night that Ill have to post on here for you to critique.

By now you should know how it goes around here -- we don't critique; we salivate.

Old#12

Sorry about the late reply. I would use the Brazilian Viso as the binder and the Cameroon and Columbian as the filler. Not too much on the Cameroon though maybe a half. Haven't used this combo before but I haven't had limitations you're talking about. Curious. Let me know what you ended up with. #12

rustycase

I'll toss my 2c out on the table, as lack of solutions will always be edgy.

How to big factories do it uniformly? Massive inventory, maintained for years, bulk buys from dedicated suppliers, and a secondary chain for anything not suitable for the primary focus product.
And that, will be a far cry from an expert of reknown who rolls a limited amount for a stable of clients. He also has extensive inventory, and has associates he can purchase specific top quality tobacco leaf from, well in advance.

As your skill improves, your patience will also.
Your best bet is to listen to suggestions, yet buy on advice from Don, or any vendor who will appraise each lot offered for sale. It will take a personal relationship, and a substantial inventory to develop the end product you desire.

Good luck
rc

CORoller55

Hey guys... I think Im slowly improving. Im hoping to get a 52 gauge mold soon. I think Im getting close to something I like, finally.

These 6 were rolled last night. The color in the photos isnt spot on (im a bad photographer) but you guys will have trust me that in reality they look nicer and the real color is somewhere between these two!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• QQ截图20150227112518.jpg
    QQ截图20150227112518.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 92
  • QQ截图20150227112459.jpg
    QQ截图20150227112459.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 93

DGBAMA

The most important thing you just said is "something I like" color is just for the eyes.

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.