Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cuban cigarette and how to duplicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
A friend of mine gifted me a carton of Cuban cigarettes, "Popular Negro" which is said (or written) to be made of 100% Cuban tobaccos. This is the first time I smoked a Cuban cigarette so it was somewhat interesting to me. It has a 20 mm long filter. I was told that unfiltered ones are stronger. I wondered how it smokes without a filter and I cut off the filter of a cigarette and smoked it. It was stronger but not too much but gave more cigar-like taste. The interesting side is it has low amount of nicotine (0.7 mg) and high amount of tar (10 mg) which is same in Oriental blend cigarettes. Yes, it tastes cigar-like but also Oriental-like, in a way.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

As seen from the photos, it has a basic package design but as written in the BRASCUBA's website they're renewing the design for their export interests.

The dissection image is below, the blend is almost entirely consisted of air cured or dark tobaccos as the name "Negro" suggests. There're really few stems in a cigarette which are, I believe, mostly secondary veins (on the right in the picture below). They're coarsely cut as the tobacco lamina. No reconstituted, expanded other high-tech stuff in the cigarette. This is why the tobacco inside the cigarette (filler) weights more than the other international brands. Nowadays, fillers in a cigarette generally weight around 0.4 g (400 mg) but this one weights 0.7 g (700 mg). I guess this is one of the benfits of low-tech cigarettes.

attachment.php

Well, does it smokes wonderful ? A regular American blend smoker will probably find it weak but an Oriental blend smoker (like me) finds it balanced. But I think anybody who tries this blend would find it tasty. So it's time to duplicate it.

If you have nicely cured and aged/kilned mild tasting lower leaves from a cigar tobacco variety you may use them as the base of the blend which may consist 50% of the blend. Other 50% depends on your palate.

I used two Orientals and a cigar leaf to duplicate this blend.

50% Maden (my own)
25% Canik (my own)
25% Dominican Seco (from Whole Leaf Tobacco)

It tasted right and it was a nice clone but burned faster than the original blend. I think a ligero leaf would make it more tasty but the Dominican Seco is what I only have from WLT as a filler grade.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting trial and blend.

I've found that volado (bottom lug leaf) from most Spanish type tobaccos is very mild, with a slight hint of a cigar flavor.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
You're right. I searched for some lug leaves from last year but all of them already gone also leaves of this season are not ready yet so I made the blend by using Orientals which are actually a little spicy (especially Canik) and earthy or cigarish.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Update:

I turned my leaf storage upside down and finally found few volados of Havana 142 and Vuelta Abajo. So alternative Cuban is two units of Havana 142 and one unit of Vuelta Abajo. Even it's consisted of just volados it was a little bit stronger than the original blend. It might taste nice for who like Dark (French) blended cigarettes but there's a handicap, using upper leaves makes the blend really potent. So using whole cigar plant for cigarettes is almost impossible. Because of this I've found Oriental&Cigar leaf blend better. While low nicotine and mellow taste comes from Orientals, which are preferably air-cured lower to mid-stalk leaves of Samsuns, cigar flavor and strength or higher nicotine comes from secos or ligeros of cigar varieties. It definitely tastes more cigar like.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I was in cuba in 2004 (honeymoon) and 2006. There was cig that was just as good as a canadian blend and was my staple cig for while I was down there (I can't remember the name). but there was another one I found called Romeo y Julieta-

attachment.php

All I can say is you better have lungs of steel if you smoke these ones. The harshest cigar taste I've ever had even despite being filtered.

Attachments

• Romeo_y_julieta_habana_ks_20_h_cuba.jpg
    Romeo_y_julieta_habana_ks_20_h_cuba.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 67

istanbulin

Founding Member
Thanks for posting, Will. The cigarette that you found similar to a Canadian one might be "Hollywood". I just searched "Cuban Canadian cigarettes" on google and this brand showed up. Most of the Dark/French blends are really strong but this "Popular" is probably an exemption.

bonehead

i never tried cuban cigarettes but i smoked turkish ones and they were the strongest i ever had. i know they were real because they were from a guy on my sons little league team from turkey. many years ago he was on a temporary asignment at a pharmecutical company in ct. i can't rember the brand but he and his family were some of the best people i ever had the pleasure of meeting.

istanbulin

Founding Member
That's interesting, actually both the story and the Turkish cigarettes you tried are interesting. I guess you came accros strong Turkish made cigarettes, which are really rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.