Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren1979

First Time Grower
I see it being more to do with the libraries supplying the venue for the seed swap. We all know shipments arrive everyday from all over the world with foreign insects onboard or exotic plants, but they choose to go after mom and pops who choose to share some lettuce seeds or radishes. It's a strange world.

USHOG

I do not see why it is any of their business, and I sure wish they would Quit wasting our tax dollars on stupid stuff

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The seed laws that I've read universally state "sale of seed". Interpreting that to include swap (barter) is a stretch. Seed as a gift is--to my knowledge--entirely unregulated within the US.

Transfer of extraneous (weed) seeds and diseases along with tobacco seed is eliminated with a tiny, transparent packet of tobacco seed that can be examined in a single layer of seed (to insure no foreign matter is present). Even viruses, such as TMV, are not transmitted by clean (chaff-free) tobacco seed from infected plants.

Bob

leverhead

... I believe it may be because of Hybird seed companies worrying about loosing a dime ...

It does smell like a money interest problem, but it may be just some state workers looking for something to justify their jobs. It fits my definition of chicken shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

istanbulin

Founding Member
The seed laws that I've read universally state "sale of seed". Interpreting that to include swap (barter) is a stretch. Seed as a gift is--to my knowledge--entirely unregulated within the US.

Our laws are same, selling unregistered and uncertificated seeds is banned and there's an approx. 5000 USD fine for that. But swap and gift is permissive, there're a lot of seed swap organizations and almost festivals every year. I guess this regulation is almost same in every country which has seed laws.

AmaxB

It is a sad thing
If a race issue people jump on the bus with a sign in hand how ever for loss of small liberties they quietly bend and yield
I feel America is no longer home of the brave & LAND OF THE FREE...

Texasgrown

Boboro I agree seeds should be free to trade sell or all the above. The over regulation of the industry is driven by a very few large companies. I got in tRouble at our farmers market for selling extra heirloom tomato plants from my honey booth. I was like wtf. So I just gave them away to anyone who asked which really pissed the inspector off.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Boboro I agree seeds should be free to trade sell or all the above. The over regulation of the industry is driven by a very few large companies. I got in tRouble at our farmers market for selling extra heirloom tomato plants from my honey booth. I was like wtf. So I just gave them away to anyone who asked which really pissed the inspector off.

That's just wrong. I thought that was the purpose of a farmer's market.

Lawmaker's should start taking right and wrong into consideration when they make new laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.