Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New hobby grower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billstyler

We live in North Idaho, U.S.A. My wife is interested in tobacco-based insecticide / crop protection, ceremonial uses, and ornamentals. I am interest in small production for local smokers and ceremonial use. I was a smoker decades ago. Although it is unlikely I'll start again, I certainly know taste and aroma and will be working on blends which are pleasing to both senses. We have a greenhouse and a sunroom for starting crops - our season is wildly unpredictable so this might be a frustrating addition to my hobby list, but worth the effort to attempt.

Smokin Harley

welcome to FTT . If tobacco can be grown by some of the other members in Canada ,I dont think you'll need to worry . What ceremonial use ?

billstyler

Offerings to the land spirits, and other ceremonial uses (I'm not up on all of its uses, yet). A lot of Native American friends and followers of tribal traditions live here and nearby in Montana. I'm sure my friends will fill me in, though I do know some folks do smoke ceremonies. I paint, sculpt, and do some photography and if I can lure more humming birds with ornamentals I'd like that. Also, we hunt and from what I hear tobacco won't be on the buffet menu for the ubiquitous marauding ungulate herds.

bonehead

i had hummingbirds in my oriental tobacco last year four or five times when it was flowering. i don't know what they were there for, but they were there enough so i think they were getting necter or pollen. at first i thought they were large bugs or bees.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Just checking. A lot of people confuse the sphinx moth with a hummingbird, and a sphinx moth would definitely be hanging around tobacco even in daylight.

DGBAMA

Hummingbird traffic is the only reason that my wife lets me get away with planting some in the FRONT yard.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. The Macedonian Oriental variety, Prilep, is one of the most ornamental varieties that I've grown. A number of FTT members have Prilep seed. Prilep is also a delicious, floral addition to cigarette and pipe blends. You can plant them as close as 9" apart, and their tight, columnar shape reaches about 3-4' in height. Very lovely blossom heads. Prilep can be air-cured, sun-cured or flue-cured.

Both hummingbirds and sphinx moths (parents of the dreaded tobacco hornworm) feed on nectar from tobacco blossoms. Hummingbirds visit in the daylight, while the moths appear mostly at night.

If you put a general location in your profile, it will appear alongside each of your posts, making it easier for members to answer some of your questions.

Bob

rustycase

Bill, if you intend to use tobacco tea to ward off evil insects, I would advise you also grow some hot peppers to add in with the mix, and, some dish detergent.
Chrysanthemums and marigolds are also of some benefit.
Good luck
rc

Gmac

Bill, if you intend to use tobacco tea to ward off evil insects, I would advise you also grow some hot peppers to add in with the mix, and, some dish detergent.
Chrysanthemums and marigolds are also of some benefit.
Good luck
rc
I have found that two rows of Sunflowers work real well for insects.
Gmac

BarG

Founding Member
Offerings to the land spirits, and other ceremonial uses (I'm not up on all of its uses, yet). A lot of Native American friends and followers of tribal traditions live here and nearby in Montana. I'm sure my friends will fill me in, though I do know some folks do smoke ceremonies. I paint, sculpt, and do some photography and if I can lure more humming birds with ornamentals I'd like that. Also, we hunt and from what I hear tobacco won't be on the buffet menu for the ubiquitous marauding ungulate herds.
For the land spirits I bet your native american friends should have the best seeds to grow that as per tradition. As for the hummingbirds, I think they like the sprinklers more than the flowers sometimes.

BarG

Founding Member
Just checking. A lot of people confuse the sphinx moth with a hummingbird, and a sphinx moth would definitely be hanging around tobacco even in daylight.
I saw one : Its eyes were red :And it was looking at me. I went to he house and got my 22. I got it right between the eyes and seen it was just a moth laying eggs on my tobacco plants.Yea, I found its wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.