Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Finally some color on my Meerschaum

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie G.

This is my first post in the pipe forum but wanted to show this pipe. I have been smoking more cigars now that I roll my own with the WLT leaves.
I have finally started getting some color in my Meerschaum trout pipe. It's been about 8 years of smoking it now and then, and finally see some color setting in.
I hope it keeps darkening up nicely. At this speed tho the figure probably won't be highlighted in my life time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P6291674_zpsf3524921.jpg
    P6291674_zpsf3524921.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 113
  • P6291675_zps0a741dd2.jpg
    P6291675_zps0a741dd2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 113

ArizonaDave

I just love the trout on the pipe, and in my belly! Haha! Nice pipe! I wish I could find a churchwarden with a large bowl, with some decorative emblem like you have.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is lovely coloring.

Below is a pattern-ventilated meerschaum that I bought in Turkey in 1983. So, it's been over 30 years of English-style tobaccos smoked in this bowl. Since I've never smoked wet, gooey aromatics in it, there has been relatively little tar migration.

Pipe_1639_Meer_patternVentilated_600.jpg

Bob

jolly

If you buff some bees wax into it and smoke a bowl the heat from the smoke will melt the wax. The melted wax will wick the color through the pores of the pipe. I've come to believe that the amount of coloration is due to the amount of wax applied.

Bob,
If you've got 30 years on that one then it may turn very dark.

DGBAMA

Bob, all those little holes look like a finger massage, unless you have "working man's hands", in which case you may not feel them at all.

Nice pipe. I like it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've never tried this but I've often wondered if one could separate the stummel from stem. Then slow roast the entire stummel in some trashed up mud lugs. It may be possible for the coloration to go both ways in at least half the time. It's just an idea. Has anyone tried this with a Meerschaum?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is lovely coloring.

Below is a pattern-ventilated meerschaum that I bought in Turkey in 1983. So, it's been over 30 years of English-style tobaccos smoked in this bowl. Since I've never smoked wet, gooey aromatics in it, there has been relatively little tar migration.

Bob

I have one very similar, though only two years old and still very white. It does smoke wonderfully although it was smaller than i had hoped. It may fall into the "mini" category. Still, an excellent quick smoke pipe.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This is my first post in the pipe forum but wanted to show this pipe. I have been smoking more cigars now that I roll my own with the WLT leaves.
I have finally started getting some color in my Meerschaum trout pipe. It's been about 8 years of smoking it now and then, and finally see some color setting in.
I hope it keeps darkening up nicely. At this speed tho the figure probably won't be highlighted in my life time.

Lovely pipe and coloration. I'm still debating putting putting trout in my pond this year although I'm a couple months behind. They die out mid summer, but there is some hellacious fishing between now and then. They'll reach four and a half to five lbs. before mid summer. I stocked them a couple of years ago and it was some of the most fun I've had fishing. Especially on a fly rod or a crappie rod with a small spinning reel. They would absolutely do acrobatics across the water.

jolly

I've never tried this but I've often wondered if one could separate the stummel from stem. Then slow roast the entire stummel in some trashed up mud lugs. It may be possible for the coloration to go both ways in at least half the time. It's just an idea. Has anyone tried this with a Meerschaum?

Not quite the same thing, but I had seen an article on line that showed a "jar coloring" technique. Basically you fire up another pipe, but the meer in a jar, blow smoke in the jar and put the lid on. This gives a shallow coloring on the outside of the pipe. personally I thought the effects looked a bit artificial (and they were). I think the beeswax method will work the best for deeper color. Beeswax is what meers are finished with at the factory, so a reapplication isn't unnatural.

charlie G.

Knucklehead that sounds like a great idea with your pond. A fly rod would be my choice.

I have done the was treatment 3 times on the bowl of the pipe. I think the one thing slowing the coloring is I don't smoke this pipe much.
I like a short stemmed small pipe better like a blowfish or cobra. I'm a biter so I walk around with the pipe held in my teeth.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There is a lot that goes in to how quickly a meer colors. A very porous meer will be very porous and very light. It will color a lot faster than a dense, cheaper pipe. The shape will also affect how it colors. Note that meers always begin to color at the cooler areas of the pipe. Like the stummel. Smoking goopy tobacco will speed up the process too. I am not sure why reapplying beeswax speeds up the process, but it does.

Last edited:

Sid.Stavros

charlie G.: Very nice looking Meerschaum! I have read some methods that accelerate the colour to a more dark tone but i haven't decide to test any yet.

Briar Boy

I'm a big fan of meerschaum pipes, puffing on one while reading this in fact. They should be waxed (white beeswax) at least a couple times a year, it helps hold the color at the surface, here's one of mine...
S6YnXKKh.jpg

Briar Boy

There is a lot that goes in to how quickly a meer colors. A very porous meer will be very porous and very light. It will color a lot faster than a dense, cheaper pipe. The shape will also affect how it colors. Note that meers always begin to color at the cooler areas of the pipe. Like the stummel. Smoking goopy tobacco will speed up the process too. I am not sure why reapplying beeswax speeds up the process, but it does.
Good points that I would have mentioned if you hadn't already.

charlie G.

They are good points. I have waxed the pipe once or twice yearly since I've had it. I also try not to handle it with any oils on my hands.
I've slowed down on my pipe smoking in the past year, maybe three bowels a week. I lost my favorite blend which was, Jacks 1010 from Jacks tobacco. And Don has to good of cigar tobacco, and I enjoy rolling.
I like the shape on your pipe Briar Boy. It must fit the hand real nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.