Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My new kick -ass tobacco shredder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just picked up ( from ebay) an angel hair pasta attachment for a Kitchen Aide mixer. This thing is awesome! I cannot keep up with it, it shreds as quick as I can feed it. I've always used the manual version and never really had any complaints about it other than the rollers are driven by two pot metal spur gears that are peaned on. I did not time myself but if I had to guess I'd say this electric version probably would shred 1 pound of tobacco in about 3-4 minutes!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitchenaid-...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item256bf7b4bb

Randy B

ps.. more on the manual version. I destroyed one of these by trying to stuff too many leaves into it and forcing the crank. That is when I took it apart and saw the cheap ass pot metal gears ( I bent them up real good). I have not taken my new electric one apart (yet) so I do not know what kind of gears it has.

Additionally, When I tried my electric shredder I had the mixer set on the lowest possible setting. I would imagine if I had a helper and set it on high, I could probably shred 1 pound of tobacco in about 2 minutes.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
hopefully next years crop,, i will have a pasta shredder,,,

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I destroyed one of these by trying to stuff too many leaves into it and forcing the crank. That is when I took it apart and saw the cheap ass pot metal gears ( I bent them up real good). I have not taken my new electric one apart (yet) so I do not know what kind of gears it has.

I took my pasta cutter apart after I noticed one side not turning and saw the same damn thing.
I had to bend it back in place and use some metal glue to hold it in place

Wagner

Jitterbugdude,
Any buyers remorse over the angel hair pasta attachment for the Kitchen Aide as it applies to shredding tobacco?
Would you say the shredded product approximates a shag cut?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The angel hair attachment yields a ribbon cut. Although I like it because it shreds quickly it is still not nearly as good as the Powermatic shredder. I broke the first one ( angel hair attachment) I bought because I tried to feed too many leaves in at one time, a costly mistake. The Powermatic on the other hand can take anything you throw at it. It makes a shag cut.

Boboro

Click on my name and go to my album The 3rd. pic. is a pasta sherder hooked to a ice shaver motor. You can see the shread you will have to move around to see cause the pic.is to big,

driftinmark

Hi Randy,

are you still using the angel hair cutter for the kitchenaide? I have the mixer, and was thinking about the angel hair attachment....I have been using the same manual pasta maker since I started, but its rather slow and
I have to send the baccy through 2-3 times to get the tight cut.....

thanks!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I retired all my other shredders the day I received my Powermatic Shredder. The angel hair attachment works well but it has a plastic coupler in it that shears very easily. If you do decide to use the attachment do not over stuff your machine with leaves as it will shear the plastic coupler rendering the attachment totally useless.

driftinmark

thanks so much for the answer Jitter!!

looks like I will save up for the powermatic instead.....the pasta shredder was like 129 anyway....thats a good head start for the powermatic, lol......I dont mind doing it manual, but it is very very time consuming....and as of late, I would rather shred all my tobacco when I receive it, instead of waiting till I need to use it, this is where the powermatic will come in handy....

leverhead

...I dont mind doing it manual, but it is very very time consuming....and as of late, I would rather shred all my tobacco when I receive it...

Do you have an electric drill? Cut the drive end off the crank and mount it in the chuck. Most of the electric drills are variable speed, keep the speed down to about 100 RPM or less to save the bearings in the pasta shredder.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The problem with the pasta shredder, at least for the 3 that I have is that the gears are pot metal that is peaned onto the end. High rpms is probably ok. I think the problem occurs when you try to over stuff it.

forumdotabaco

I also had the pasta machine at the beginning, in my opinion is a waste of time and money, anyway the other part of the machine is good to use as a stem compressor, when I had my rollers shredder, I used to compress the stems first and them shred them same way as tobacco leaf.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I also had the pasta machine at the beginning, in my opinion is a waste of time and money, anyway the other part of the machine is good to use as a stem compressor, when I had my rollers shredder, I used to compress the stems first and them shred them same way as tobacco leaf.

Why do you shred your stems? Is it to stretch your tobacco further?

forumdotabaco

No, to control the burning rates of my cigarettes, without stems they burn faster.
My cigarettes will last between 20 to 30 minutes.

nishot

I'm surprised I haven't seen what I use suggested yet, which is a cross cut paper shredder. It is incredible. At first I was worried it would gum up but haven't had any problems after shredding 20 plants. I'm not that concerned if I do eventually ruin it because I took my time and found one for $6 at a thrift store. I'll continue to use it and report back on how it continues to hold up, or not!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm surprised I haven't seen what I use suggested yet, which is a cross cut paper shredder. It is incredible. At first I was worried it would gum up but haven't had any problems after shredding 20 plants. I'm not that concerned if I do eventually ruin it because I took my time and found one for $6 at a thrift store. I'll continue to use it and report back on how it continues to hold up, or not!

Can you post a picture of the shred produced by the paper shredder? I've heard of people using them but haven't seen the shred size. Thanks.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I found this and hope it helps. I guess security level 5 fits well to shred tobacco leaves for cigarettes.

dahleshredsize2.jpeg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I don't think it will work..for bacca... For numerous reasons..

Its common sense to anyone who has shredded a fare deal of bacca...you just know what machine is gonna do the job..and what machine may fall short of the desired.goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.