Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Advice on Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondford

I am getting ready to order tobacco from WLT to try a blend I'm hoping will suit my tastes. I'm at an disadvantage in developing a blend because I'm a newbie and don't know squat about blending. What I'm after is maduro that is rich, chocolatey and favorful but not a strong nic kick. What I'm thinking about is

Pa Oscuro Binder
Pa Oscuro Wraper
1/3 Mata Fina
1/3 Dom Seco
1/3 Piloto Cubano Viso

What say you blend masters?

D

webmost

Have you tried cigars with a PA maduro wrapper? Do you like the PA broadleaf? It has its own unique flavor. I like it; and I am not a maduro fan. It's not your uisual coffee and pepper. It's more of a leathery toasted black bread thing. It's a real thick and robust leaf, so it's apt to overwhelm your traces of mata and piloto... especial;ly since you propose to use it both for wrapper and binder. On the other hand, I don't see an array of maduro wrappers on the WLT site right now. You have the Ecuador and then this.

But don't mind me. Wait for our friend from Blacksburg to come along. He knows his stuff.

You want to try some PA maduros to know what they taste like? PM me your address and I'll mail you some FX Smith's. Don't get me wrong; I like the flavor. I just think your wrapper here will obscure your fillers.

Chris A

You are using tobacco I haven't tried so I'm very interested in the outcome & your opinion. Keep us posted.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I am getting ready to order tobacco from WLT to try a blend I'm hoping will suit my tastes. I'm at an disadvantage in developing a blend because I'm a newbie and don't know squat about blending. What I'm after is maduro that is rich, chocolatey and favorful but not a strong nic kick. What I'm thinking about is

Pa Oscuro Binder
Pa Oscuro Wraper
1/3 Mata Fina
1/3 Dom Seco
1/3 Piloto Cubano Viso

What say you blend masters?

D

Which factory cigars do you prefer? It's all a matter of personal preference. Knowing what you like may help others steer you in the right direction.

There are some nice blends and descriptions in this thread: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5065-member-s-blends

dondford

Which factory cigars do you prefer? It's all a matter of personal preference. Knowing what you like may help others steer you in the right direction.

There are some nice blends and descriptions in this thread: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5065-member-s-blends

Knuck
Thank you for your post.
I have read the member blend thread, as well as the newer blend recipe thread and both were of some help. My problem is about all I know about WLT tobacco is by reading the descriptions on the store web page.

My cigar of choice (mostly because I'm a cheap bastard) for years has been the Honduran JR Consuegra line in maduro and oscuro, I like the #14, #16, #9, #84M and #72 all seconds of name brand Honduran cigars, ERDM, Punch, Jr Ulitmate, ect. In general I prefer a maduro or oscuro, around 6"ish and 50-54 and med - med strong. The two WLT maduro/oscuro blend kits would be perfect for at this point, but as you know, they have been out stock for weeks.

DGBAMA

Not a huge cigar guy, but I would suggest you get the PAOscuro you mentioned. And the cigar sampler here:
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Cigar-Tobacco-Sampler-CGRsampler.htm

The two would make a good variety of options for a new blender with minimal investment.

Using the oscuro for both binder and wrapper may hinder a good burn. The Crillo 98 seco in the sampler should have some good binder and help the burn of the heavier/darker oscuro as wrapper.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After many years of trying, I have yet to duplicate the unique taste and aroma of Hoyo cigars. But I do purchase several of the Consuegra cigar varieties (#9, #25, #30, #73, all usually in maduro). They are excellent, especially when snagged at under $1.50 per stick in auction.

A short term suggestion would be:
  • Dominican Cigar Binder
  • Dominican Seco
  • Criollo 98 Viso
As soon as you receive the shipment, go through each variety, and separate out leaves with at least 1/2 a leaf that is wrapper quality. There will be some in each variety. Then experiment with different combinations of components. I believe you will enjoy all of them, and that should hold you until a wider variety (especially the Ecuador maduro) comes into stock.

wrapper: high case
binder: medium case
filler: low case

With low case filler (dry enough to crack a bit, but not crumble), you can roll fairly tight, solid cigars that will still draw well.

Bob

Cigar

wow think finally got first 5/5 star blend..what been looking forward since started my RYO cigars.I have had alot 3/5's and some 4/5 stars but this one reminds me of my favorite "factory cigar"

Cigar

Cigar

oopps forgot to add blend wrapper:Ec Shade
binder :Hondarian
fillers :Crillo 98 ligero..Nic seco..Pilto seco
then made it 5/5 was strip of Mata fina
before I added the mata fina strip it was 4/5 star cigar funny how just one little adjustment can make huge difference
the only thing wish could add [dont know how] is add just little "sweet cap" to it but it was so good it burned my lip..because could not put it down loved it that much!!

webmost

before I added the mata fina strip it was 4/5 star cigar funny how just one little adjustment can make huge difference
the only thing wish could add [dont know how] is add just little "sweet cap" to it but it was so good it burned my lip..because could not put it down loved it that much!!

You had me at "Hondarian". I've ridden everything from a CT90 to a V65 Magna, over the years. All top notch machines. The only one I didn't care for was the GoldWing -- too awkward. In recent years, I've owned more beemers, cause you can get parts; and this Kawasaki KLR, cause it's so ugly. Indian on order will be my first American iron. But at heart, I too am a Hondarian. Soichiro, he's my hero.

Rubber side down, brother.

ArizonaDave

Didn't know if you knew, but the Criollo Liguero and others are back in stock.

Cigar

Yea see were the crillo ligero is back in stock thats great news my favorite of ALL cigar tobacco have tried so-far..
btw your real funny 'OLD ' fart webmost:p Hondas are the best the older the better unlike most people haha

Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.