Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

deluxestogie Grow Log 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Jessica, at NCSU's Genetics Department, has properly named this as "fasciation," and suggested that it is frequently the result of environmental factors, such as physical damage or infection. The fasciated GRIN Unknown (likely Izmir) that I grew in 2015 seemed to be the result of a genetic predisposition, although I was unable to propagate seeds from those plants in 2016 to verify this.

On one of my pear trees, a single, small branch about half-way up displays fasciation. I assume that to be from infection-induced genetic damage--likely fireblight in a resistant variety.

It would be interesting to learn from the Indonesian farmer if other leaves on that same plant exhibited fasciation.

Bob

Tutu

I'll pass by his house later this week, maybe tomorrow, to ask. I am not sure from which plant position this leaf came. If it is a lower plant position, the plant might still be out there. These farmers never top their Besuki plants so if I get lucky I'll definitely collect the seed. Interesting alteration though, especially if truly a genetic one. Hopefully to be continued...

Tutu

The farmer (his name is Rifki) informed me that he found the leave in the curing barn and he has no idea from which plant it came. He'll ask the workers on the farm but I doubt they'll provide the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.