Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Made my own Corn Cob pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibson's Farm

Banned
I had a bunch of corn cobs in the corn crib so I decided to make some corn cob pipes. Those are Non-GMO corn cobs and a bamboo pole that I had laying around. It took under 5 minutes to make both pipes.

Ben Brand

I had a bunch of corn cobs in the corn crib so I decided to make some corn cob pipes. Those are Non-GMO corn cobs and a bamboo pole that I had laying around. It took under 5 minutes to make both pipes.

I can get some cobs, think I will try my hand at this. How and with what do you hollow the cobs out? Iv`e got some old pipes and will use the stems. Can I use any cobs, I suppose the thicker the better? Nice looking pipes!!!

Gibson's Farm

Banned
I give a quick break down of how I made my pipes.

You can cut the corn cob to what ever length you want.
Then take a drill bit slightly smaller than the core of the cob. Drill to what ever depth you want but leave atleast a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the cob so that it wont get too hot while smoking.

Now stick a stick in the cob and mark how far down your bowl goes. now just drill a hole just above the bottom of the bowl for the stem to go into. I used a drill bit slightly smaller than the bamboo stem, then I slowly made the hole bigger until the bamboo fit tight. I did not use glue so I can pull my stem out and clean if I need to.

I had bamboo laying around but you can also buy a bamboo fishing pole at walmart for $8.

Cut it to what ever length you desire. If you cut a piece from between the joints you can skip the next step because the bamboo is hollow between the joints.
Then you will have to use a drill bit to drill holes were the joints of the bamboo are. I used a 10 inch drill bit $5 from lowes.

make a small diagonal cut at the end of the bamboo that goes into the bowl.

Now jam it into your pipe and smoke it.

This is not my video but its basically the same thing I did but I did not use any glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNxIQee7kes

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I've been interested in this for a while. Missouri Meerschaum uses a proprietary strain of corn bred by Mizzou, but there is tell of several heirloom varieties that make big cobs. Anyone got any seeds?

CrazyCatman

I used to have a Missouri Meerchaum corn cob, but sadly I sold it... big mistake! Because now I want a corn cob! Especially the non-ghosting feature ios really appealing to me as I will (hopefully) get a little bit of tobacco of my plants and thereby will need to test the tobacco - and blends once in a while, and risking a relatively pipe as a corn cob going terrible from my own incompetence is more "forgiving" than having to trash my meerchaums or estate briar pipes (in my opinion) - and if a corn cob really don't ghost this would be the perfect one.

... besides with my plan of sitting in the chair on my little tarrace where the tobacco is grown and look at them in the evening, smoking a corn cob would be just perfect!
Maybe I should try to make it myself - as well as buying a real Missouri again!

CrazyCatman

CrazyCatman, Can you buy a Missouri Meer from the company in the U.S. or do you have to buy it locally?
I can get it locally; I know that a place called Naturgalleriet (The Nature Gallery) sells MM's (as well as straight edge razors, DE-razors, shaving brushes and hand forged knifes) - and The Danish Pipe Shop in Copenhagen, where I sometimes buy my tobacco if I don't just want a pouch of Mac Barens Mixture or Original Choice, had a corn cob in the window, but I could not see price or the producent, and they don't have it on their website...
But I might ask next time going to get some tobacco

CrazyCatman

The price seems to fair - even with the USD 18,- shipping and 25% customs. But with the custom fee it gets so close to the DKK 600,- (~USD 86.25) that the shop offers - and I don't know what my usual tobacco dealer have of price (I should go there soon, as I am running out of tobacco) - but if he have a Missouri for less than DKK 55,- it will be the same or cheaper than the offer from MM.
But it is a nice offer, and there is a chance that the customs won't get their hands on it and charge me, and then the deal is really good!

About making my own... I read that I need to try the cob for two years before using it... with or without the seeds?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A corncob that has dried completely over the winter is dry enough. It's difficult to craft a pipe if the corn kernels are still present. When viewing the cross-section of a cob, you will need for the woody, central portion to be at least 2 cm (~3/4") wide, preferably wider. For me, finding a cob that is wide enough has been the greatest challenge.

A simple section of narrow bamboo can serve as a stem.

Bob

CrazyCatman

A corncob that has dried completely over the winter is dry enough. It's difficult to craft a pipe if the corn kernels are still present. When viewing the cross-section of a cob, you will need for the woody, central portion to be at least 2 cm (~3/4") wide, preferably wider. For me, finding a cob that is wide enough has been the greatest challenge.

A simple section of narrow bamboo can serve as a stem.

Bob
Thank you; So basicly I just spend my summer in the summer house eating the corn kernels and then lave the cob to dry out (outdoor? Indoor?) and then in the spring while watching next years tobabies grow up I can work on the pipe.

As it is a pipe for mainly summerhouse use (as it is here I grow my tobacco), I think I will connect the pipe with the place, using either some of out birch, hazel or willow trees as stem...
Willow might be smart as it is hallow. Birch I find particular beautiful (especially the full tree) but Hazel might be the best to connect with as our Hazel bushes are huge an is placed near my tobacco "field".

LewZephyr

Not sure if I am understanding your statement. But remove the kernels prior to cooking. I do not believe you want to cook up corn on the cob and use the cob later. I would think that would change the structure somewhat. But I could be off my rocker. Ive never made one myself, but love using my MM Cobs.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if I am understanding your statement. But remove the kernels prior to cooking. I do not believe you want to cook up corn on the cob and use the cob later. I would think that would change the structure somewhat. But I could be off my rocker. Ive never made one myself, but love using my MM Cobs.
Wait for the (uncooked) ear to fully dry. Knock off the kernels using a second dry ear or cob as a "hammer."

This site uses a variety similar to "bloody butcher." Google informs me that there are lots of sources for seed for that variety.

http://http://www.olddominionpipe.com/#!new/c1tfn
I have grown Bloody Butcher in two different seasons, as well as Oaxaca Green dent corn. Both varieties form large cobs, but none have produced truly wide cross-sections of woody core.

Bob

jolly

I couldn't find much on the actual variety used by Missouri Meerchaum. It might be proprietary. They only state it was developed by the University of Missouri. I didn't find anything on the university's site.

I notice that the MM company does a couple of things with their cobs. The low end ones (respectively) are treated with a sort of yellow putty to help reinforce and protect them. I've also found that these can be burned through on the bottom a bit easier as they are still a bit pithy. I've poked through a few with pipe tools as well. Their higher end pipes are lacquered and usually have a wooden plug inserted into the bottom to help prevent burn through. Seems like they may have a grading system and treatments to make the cobs appear woodier than they actually are, though they are still larger than anything i've seen grown.

I've made a few pipes from corn grown in Indiana when were lived up that way. I was able to clean out the pith and get a smokeable cob though the inner diameter was only about the size of my pinky. Burning through the bottom was always an issue.

The best way to go might be to get a decent indian corn cob, cut it into bowl sized lengths and drill out the pith entirely. Plug the bottom with a disk of dowel cut to about a quarter inch thickness and jam it in, gluing only on the outside just enough to hold it in place. Drill and insert reed/cane/bamboo stem. Done.

This fall when folks are selling indian corn for decoration I may give it a shot.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I purchased a tied bunch of decorative Indian corn last year, with the thought of making pipes with them. On closer inspection at home, I noticed two things. First, the mostly red ears had some red spilling onto the base of the husk: probably sprayed with dye. Secondly, there was zero insect damage to even a single kernel on any of the cobs: probably sprayed with insecticide. I threw them out, and washed my hands.

Bob

jolly

That stinks. I don't know why people think that mother nature needs makeup. I like her in sweatpants, au naturel.

Status
Not open for further replies.