Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Spring Goose Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Saw this post and had to comment- we get thousands of snow geese here in the winter. Huge flocks that look like goosenadoes when they are landing. I used to hunt them, but lost interest after a few years since hunting on private land around here means you are shelling out the big bucks to farmer John (even though you are saving his field of winter wheat from getting destoyed). I always thought they taste rather fowl (pun intended).

About the only way I found to eat them was as a Chinese dish called lions heads. Mix the ground goose with ground pork and ginger and form into large meatballs then cook it with soy sauce and a little sugar and spices. It's slightly edible. I may be biased though since I'm not a huge fan of wild duck or most fowl.

I think the worst fowl I ever tried to eat was a merganser, I mistook it for a duck in the flooded timber and figured I should try and eat it since I killed it - it tasted like ammonia, the dog wouldn't even eat it.
I've only ever had smoked goose, and I liked it. Mallard, and gadwal were rather unappealing. Teal was good and much more like commercial duck. Coot is actually half decent, but it's technically a crane and not a duck. I'd compare it to snowshoe hare (if I had to compare it to something).

plantdude

I've only ever had smoked goose, and I liked it. Mallard, and gadwal were rather unappealing. Teal was good and much more like commercial duck. Coot is actually half decent, but it's technically a crane and not a duck. I'd compare it to snowshoe hare (if I had to compare it to something).
I had a coot surface about 10 feet away from me when I was hunting in the flooded timber one time. It looked threatening so in fear for my life I had to shoot it. Of course I had to eat then... I didn't care for it personally.
The wife usually makes a red neck version of duck l'orange with orange jello. It turns out ok and my son loves it, but like I said I'm not much of fowl person. I don't even care much for chicken. I guess I mostly go duck hunting for the joy of getting up at 3 AM and wading out in cotton mouth infested flooded timber in the pitch dark;)

Oldfella

Be kinda like looking for comets:)
The only part of the goose we eat here is the breast. Let it age for a couple of days then peel the skin off, ( you can leave it on if you want). Just pan fry it until it's nicely browned, don't cook it to fast or it will be a little chewey.
Serve it with whatever. Oh yeah we call them Canada geese, they are grey colored.
Oldfella

plantdude

The only part of the goose we eat here is the breast. Let it age for a couple of days then peel the skin off, ( you can leave it on if you want). Just pan fry it until it's nicely browned, don't cook it to fast or it will be a little chewey.
Serve it with whatever. Oh yeah we call them Canada geese, they are grey colored.
Oldfella
I've just had snow geese, I've never tried Canadian geese even though we have them around here and where we lived previously. Years ago one of my old supervisors brought me back a can of goose pate from France. We opened it up and looked at it and I told my wife it was probably cat food. It was actually really good though, cat food or not:)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Surely there's no way they migrate all the way to New Zealand from here is there??!!
Ours are brown/grey... Btw their abundant and horrible poop is slimy swamp radioactive toxic-waste green. Now you know. For science.
You got me curious.
They were introduced to New Zealand by Fish and Game Dept.

plantdude

Surely there's no way they migrate all the way to New Zealand from here is there??!!
Ours are brown/grey... Btw their abundant and horrible poop is slimy swamp radioactive toxic-waste green. Now you know. For science.
There's a subspecies of Canadian geese that lives year round in Arkansas. Others are migratory here. It looks like knucklehead just confirmed there are Canadian geese in New Zealand.
When I lived in Colorado there were tons of Canadian geese. They hung out on the college campus and a lot of times were not real inclined to move off the sidewalk when people came walking by. It was hilarious to see them go after people occasionally, I always gave them a few extra feet and never had issues with them;) They were messy though.

Oldfella

I can't imagine why
Looks like we been calling them by the wrong name. The only ones I have seen are all grey. They were introduced as a game bird but became a pest. Honk, Honk, Honk, yep geese. They don't migrate, they are too well fed here. I don't have a photo of them , might be one you guys can tell me the right name.
Oldfella

Radagast

we call them Canada geese
Oldfella
I'm surprised there isn't one of those funky down-undery names for them like 'wallagazoo' or something. Or is that strictly an Oz thing?
It was hilarious to see them go after people occasionally, I always gave them a few extra feet and never had issues with them;) They were messy though.
Yes they're rough in every way.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looks like we been calling them by the wrong name. The only ones I have seen are all grey. They were introduced as a game bird but became a pest. Honk, Honk, Honk, yep geese. They don't migrate, they are too well fed here. I don't have a photo of them , might be one you guys can tell me the right name.
Oldfella

Cape Barren Goose?
1594842983659.jpeg

Greylag Goose
1594843065776.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.