Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Spring Goose Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Can you shoot them and just leave them were they fall? I wouldn't know what to do with 500 or so dead birds.. wait, I can burn them to heat my kiln!

USHOG

We have to shoot them off of our hay fields ever year or them stupid birds will destroy a field quickly.
I do have a great goose recipe
Take one goose and spice it up to your liking then get a good hot fire going. Take the goose run a 2x4 through it and roast it for 1hour. Next take 2x4 out of bird and eat the 2x4....

DrBob

Founding Member
I've tried a brazillion different ways to fix Canada geese and I'm convinced the only thing you can do with 'em is grind 'em up and mix it with real meat.
actually, ground goose mixed with ground beef fat isn't all that bad. A friend of mine made some goose summer sausage and it was excellent. The very first goose I got about 40 years ago I roasted on a rotisserie and it looked wonderful, but the meat had the texture of a superball the dog wouldn't even eat it.

bonehead

goose breast meat cut about 3/16 ths thick and marinated for a couple or three days in soy sauce and one quarter the amount of yoshita sauce then smoked is excellent. sometimes i mist the smoked goose meat with a light coating of yoshita or just dunk it and enjoy for a juicy. it is also good rite out of the smoker without the dunk.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
In all seriousness this would be the perfect opportunity to stock the Homeless Shelters with a few tons of meat. It may not taste that good, but if I was homeless and dependent on help I certainly would not complain.

bonehead

i still say goose jerky is the way to go. the snows are thick in upstate NY also. you might as well turn them into something that will go good with beer and shots. by the end of the night the salt in the soy will have the partygoers craving more after it is gone. it is better than salty pretzels.

DGBAMA

Goose can be great. Or it can be the worst game bird you have ever eaten. Keep moist, cook lower temperature for longer time. Much like smoking a shoulder for pulled pork. Cook it like a turkey, you have a bouncing ball with legs and wings. And if you don't like the stronger flavor of waterfowl, soak overnight in a cooler of lightly salted ice and water before cooking.

DGBAMA

It was always a great day growing up when a duck hunt brought a goose home for dinner.

BarG

Founding Member
In all seriousness this would be the perfect opportunity to stock the Homeless Shelters with a few tons of meat. It may not taste that good, but if I was homeless and dependent on help I certainly would not complain.

To keep whole goose moist while cooking, bake it in a turkey-size Nylon roasting bag. Then open the bag to crisp the skin.

Mother Bob

It would sure beat boiled shoe leather Jbd.

Mother Bob,
I have never had geese but I heard with duck you should not let it cook in its own grease. I have usually roasted my ducks on a rack in a pan with a lid..

Texasgrown

BarG. I also roast my ducks either I a roasting pan or do them in a rotisserie. It also helps get the shot out. My favorite is seared farmed duck then cut super thin with a little wasabi and soy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the China Town of most large US cities, duck is hooked by the bill, then hung to roast and smoke, allowing the grease to drip away. Smoked tea duck. The grocers there sell them already roasted.

Bob

Sigge

Ageing is of big part in tenderizing game, also birds. Geese are excellent food when preparations are made correctly. Enzymes make the meat tender.

I age old birds usually minimum 20 warmth-day-degrees (celsius). Its easiest done by skinning and cutting the bird and putting it in vacuum bag. In fridge the temp in constant so its easy to count day-degrees. Also the temp should be pretty cold to inhibit bacterial growth.

That means that if I cut the bird and put it in fridge (4 celsius), it should be there minimum five days. Meat is ready to be cooked when you press your finger in it and a small dint is showing after. Try it and it will change your opinion of goose really fast.

plantdude

Saw this post and had to comment- we get thousands of snow geese here in the winter. Huge flocks that look like goosenadoes when they are landing. I used to hunt them, but lost interest after a few years since hunting on private land around here means you are shelling out the big bucks to farmer John (even though you are saving his field of winter wheat from getting destoyed). I always thought they taste rather fowl (pun intended).

About the only way I found to eat them was as a Chinese dish called lions heads. Mix the ground goose with ground pork and ginger and form into large meatballs then cook it with soy sauce and a little sugar and spices. It's slightly edible. I may be biased though since I'm not a huge fan of wild duck or most fowl.

I think the worst fowl I ever tried to eat was a merganser, I mistook it for a duck in the flooded timber and figured I should try and eat it since I killed it - it tasted like ammonia, the dog wouldn't even eat it.

Radagast

Why are there so many swamp-donkeys all of a sudden? They're fun to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.