Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this a waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

If you're asking if it will be worth it, because of effectiveness, it will be good for starting seeds. Keep the light within 2"of the canopy at all times, even touching. The stand works well for that because you can easily raise the light as it grows. I highly recommend that if you get this, that you get them to put bulbs that are appropriate for vegetative growth, (assuming you're doing vegetables and tobacco) in it instead. You want higher colour temperature, ie. 6500k, no lower than 4200k. Those lights have a lower cost of operation than most other setups, and if you go away, they are better than HID, because they won't dry up the soil as quickly, and they are less of a fire hazard.

As for how much it's worth? The brick and mortar indoor gardening store near me sells a 48"t5 strip light with reflector for $65 Canadian. They can put any frequency bulb I would want, seeing as I'll be there in person. The stand goes for $25. I don't know how much the float tray costs, but I'm thinking seeing as there are no shipping costs, you would do better to go to a real store, and support your local economy. You might see other things, and get advice, etc. For example, last time I was there, i had a long conversation with a professional about fertilizer. Also, those strip lights are compatible with a bracket that allows you to connect four of them together on that hanger. Being there in person, you will be able to ensure what parts you get are expandible, and compatible.

Don't overestimate the cost of buying locally, you might be surprised.

DGBAMA

A good seed seed starting setup like that is a good investment, if you have the money to spend. But not a necessity.

ArizonaDave

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hard for me to say if it is a waste of money... for you. For me it is. I have a similar set up. I bought the heat mat for about $20.00 and the grow light for about $20.00. I used a few scrap 2x4's to make a stand for the light and I have plenty of seed containers. I spent about $40.00 so for me to spend more than double for the same thing would be a waste of money. If you do not have access to some 2x4's/saw/drill etc then it would be worth it to you to buy the package you have listed above.

BTW, That is not a float tray that is shown in the picture. It is a standard 1020 tray.

JOE1977

Thanks for all the input. I will go to the locals and see if they compare for the whole setup. 72 plants in the mini green house with frame for 128 bucks seems pretty fair and I can devote my time to the multiple other things with out having to build something. Will check local first though.

BarG

Founding Member
Yes. Build a box frame with some 6 mil plastic around it and would be the same. Put a grow lite.

$125.00 Equals amount of time to earn it versus time to make your own and abilities and materials to do so. Quite a few variables there. When you do for yourself , in my instance time is less of a factor because its for me.

ArizonaDave

Thanks for all the input. I will go to the locals and see if they compare for the whole setup. 72 plants in the mini green house with frame for 128 bucks seems pretty fair and I can devote my time to the multiple other things with out having to build something. Will check local first though.

Joe, I'm looking forward to reading your grow blog!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Joe, you can get 2' undercabinet fluorescent light fixtures from Lowe's for around $8.00 each, bulb included. I have tried grow light bulbs but could tell no difference between them and the regular fluorescent tubes. The heat mats are very handy and pretty necessary in my basement. I get the double mats for two 1020 trays side by side.

You will probably never need to adjust your lights as high as that shown on the website. Here's a picture of what I use to set my lights on, plain old 1x6 screwed together. There's plenty of room for two months of growth before transplant time. I use three 2' lights per double tray.

attachment.php

LIBERTYCHICKEN

I have a piece of plywood (painted white) that I have screwed standared bulb sockets to about every 10" square , with standard CFL bulbs , with eye bolts on the corners to raise/lower it by chain

Status
Not open for further replies.