Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Banana wrappers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

My late father used to smoke small cigars ( years ago) and he told me they were wrapped in banana leaves. He let me taste them, they had a sweet taste, and after taste. Can you wrap a cigar in banana leaf or was my dad telling me porky`s.
And if you can, how do I do it, wet or dry leaf? Can I use any type of banana?
Bet you all can tell I`m bored, no more tobacco and sitting thinking up all this c...p.:cool:
Ben

Cigar

My grandfather and his friend from WW2..they severed in the New Guinna area used to talk/"laugh" about Banana leaves I was very young but heard them say "dare you after put in oven" banana leafs smoke?? remind me of dares like -----??:eek:

cigar

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I think he was pulling your leg. Corn husks work in a pinch...maybe banana peel? All the banana leaves I've ever seen are super thick, but I suppose when they are very young, they might work as a wrapper. Let us know how it tastes.

garryr

And if you can, how do I do it, wet or dry leaf?
You would want the leaf to be moist enough that it does not "break", I don't know how it would taste, we don't have very many banana trees around here, so I have never tried it. I kind of think he was "pulling your leg" The way we use corn husks, after they have dried, soak them in water until they are good and flexible over christmas my wife makes tamales, she also uses corn husks to wrap the tamales, I took a few, and used them to make "cigarillos", they were perfect for rolling when they were damp enough to be used for the tamales.
I remember back when I was pretty young, about 16, the "hippie people" or cults, talked about smoking bananas, but myself, never tried it.

garryr

I did some google searching last night, and it appears in some parts of the world they really do use bannana leaves to wrap cigars,and make cigarillos, use " banana leaf cigar" as keys words or http://www.promusa.org/Banana+leaf
and
attachment.php

there are some images too, also there are ready made "banana leaf"rolling papers available, these seem to be popular with the "hippie" pot head culture, something I have no interest in my self, but also I read that the Cubans use them to wrap, and even mix into the tobacco on what are know as "fake" cuban cigars, or in other words a "cheap" cigar, from Cuba, so apparently the "flavor" is compatible with tobacco.
Interesting subject,..at least to me. My boss here at work, I do know , his mother inlawhas a bannana tree, I
may just ask them if I can get some leaves to try it.

Attachments

• 29203561-cigar-and-tobacco--handmade-from-dried-banana-leaf.jpg
    29203561-cigar-and-tobacco--handmade-from-dried-banana-leaf.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 60

jolly

Sounds gross. Try it and let us know what you think.

Alright self, challenge accepted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I used some Kendall Dark (shag cut pipe tobacco). I'd say banana leaf was medium case, cured to a very appetizing grayish brown. The back of the leaf didn't burn well as it wasn't stuck down.

Verdict -- not terrible. Banana leaf added a lighter slightly floral note to the dark and fire cured tobaccos. I haven't smoked/rolled cigs since college, but I'd do it again in a pinch. Not bad for a quick puff either.

Cigar

Hey Ben, do they grow banana trees were you live?? if so maybe you can corner 'new' market on banana wrappers??:rolleyes:

cigar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Jolly,
Try cutting the banana leaf like this:

cigarilloWrapper.jpg

The image refers to using a segment of tobacco leaf for rolling a blunt, so just ignore the veins. Start rolling from the bottom, so you end up with a point of the leaf segment at the head (mouth end).

Bob

jolly

Jolly,
Try cutting the banana leaf like this:

cigarilloWrapper.jpg

The image refers to using a segment of tobacco leaf for rolling a blunt, so just ignore the veins. Start rolling from the bottom, so you end up with a point of the leaf segment at the head (mouth end).

Bob

Yep, that works a lot better, thanks Bob.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You'll notice in the third pic I had to switch leaves to a more chestnut brown one since the gray brown one was a bit too willing to split along the veins with this cut.

Some additional observations:
My fingers don't smell like cigarette (or anything)
Hand rolling is easy since the leaves are thicker, but it's a bit harder to feel for uneven spots. Banana leaf is a thick fibrous leaf (see the furniture they make from it) and has a feel a bit like heavy slick magazine paper -- the stuff they use for the cover.
It does add a flavor to the tobacco, though not objectionable, it is there. With the above leaf cut it gets stronger toward the end.

All my banana wrapper is premium, shade grown, stalk cured dwarf cavendish -- so, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.