Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rick's 2015 grow log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickey60

It's been awhile sense I posted on my grow log.
I've had the worst luck with seedlings this year. Never had this problem before. First seeding was last of February, I planted several seed per cell like I usually do, they sprouted in about a week then all died (damp off) I think. Then I reseeded the same trays again and nothing even sprouted. The third time I tried the seeds in a jar with a lid and everything sprouted (six different types in six different jars) after about a week I transplanted sprouts to cells using new cell packs and new posting mix ( 1/2 spagnum moss, pearlite, and vermiculite) 99% died with in a week. Replanted cells with sprouts again, same thing. Now I am trying by planting many seed per cell with the hope that when they germinate I will let them grow and when they get much better roots try to transplant them to one per cell if they live. I ordered more seed just in case. This will put me into June before I can plant outside in my patch. I hope this will not be to late to plant, it is hot here in June. Any advice is welcome...... I am at a loss here.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's a stumper. The only thing I see that I'm doing different is using the Miracle Gro Seed Starting Mix. Others use pretty much what you are using with no problems. I seed direct to the cells and thin down later just like you are doing. What is the temperature where you are starting the seed? My basement stays around 66F but I use the heat mats under the trays. Are you using 1020 trays and inserts?

Rickey60

I have a small greenhouse and the temperature runs between 70 and 85. I use plastic tray 128 cell inserts.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Are your sproutlings under lights, or exposed to sunlight?
Are you re-using any of the same soil from one failed batch to start the next batch?
When the seedlings are dying, but not yet dead, what do they look like?
Do they all die at the same time?
Do they get beyond just cotyledons?

Don't forget that you may be able to order some transplants from BigBonner, and have them for early May. PM him.

Bob

Brown Thumb

What soil you starting them in? I replanted 3 times last Yr. It really sucks.

Rickey60

Are your sproutlings under lights, or exposed to sunlight?
Are you re-using any of the same soil from one failed batch to start the next batch?
When the seedlings are dying, but not yet dead, what do they look like?
Do they all die at the same time?
Do they get beyond just cotyledons?

Don't forget that you may be able to order some transplants from BigBonner, and have them for early May. PM him.

Bob
Bob, Sprouts are exposed to both lights and indirect sunlite.
I used the same mix on first and second back, different mix on third. On the third mix they came up good in the jars and are still doing good in the jars but not growing much.
When they die they look like they schrivel up and fall over.
When they die most die at the same time, a few last a little longer..
Do they get beyond cotyledons? No, they die with the two leaves. Only after transplanting to cells. The cells are new, I have not reused any trays from past plantings.
What mix do you use?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that it's a watering issue. It's possible for any batch of soil mix (any brand) to have fungal spores that cause a problem. Gibberellin, which is a chemical used for stimulating germination, was derived from a soil fungus that causes seedling stem elongation and death.

Some members have sworn off Miracle Gro products. My experience has been that using Miracle Gro peat as the basis for my starting soil mix has given me the best results of anything I've tried. So I suspect that your problem is elsewhere, unless you've replanted into the very same soil (not the same blend, but the same soil), in which case, that specific soil would be suspect.

Allow your present batch to grow, undisturbed, except thin it out a bit, to allow the remaining seedlings to grow larger. With too many neighbors, they just won't get larger.

I place my mix (roughly 2/3 MG Peat, 1/6 vermiculite, 1/6 Pearlite) into the tray cells without packing it. I just pour it into the cells, then scrape off the excess. This leaves a very loose mix that can easily wick up moisture from below, but not stay compacted and soggy. I water only into the underlying tray. A Popsicle stick in a cell functions as a moisture gauge, since I can see the level of moisture wicking on the stick. When the exposed part of the stick becomes dry, I add water to the tray.

Bob

Rickey60

My guess is that it's a watering issue. It's possible for any batch of soil mix (any brand) to have fungal spores that cause a problem. Gibberellin, which is a chemical used for stimulating germination, was derived from a soil fungus that causes seedling stem elongation and death.

Some members have sworn off Miracle Gro products. My experience has been that using Miracle Gro peat as the basis for my starting soil mix has given me the best results of anything I've tried. So I suspect that your problem is elsewhere, unless you've replanted into the very same soil (not the same blend, but the same soil), in which case, that specific soil would be suspect.

Allow your present batch to grow, undisturbed, except thin it out a bit, to allow the remaining seedlings to grow larger. With too many neighbors, they just won't get larger.

I place my mix (roughly 2/3 MG Peat, 1/6 vermiculite, 1/6 Pearlite) into the tray cells without packing it. I just pour it into the cells, then scrape off the excess. This leaves a very loose mix that can easily wick up moisture from below, but not stay compacted and soggy. I water only into the underlying tray. A Popsicle stick in a cell functions as a moisture gauge, since I can see the level of moisture wicking on the stick. When the exposed part of the stick becomes dry, I add water to the tray.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I suspect water also. I may have also compacted my mix a bit to much as I pour the mix into the cells then I would tamp the tray to make sure the cells were full, this might have packed them to much. I then soak tray of cells from the bottom saturating the mix ( very wet ). It take a long time for them to dry out and green alge would start growing on the top after several days. I will do this batch like you suggest.

Brown Thumb

I used Battco starting mix this yr. after last yrs mess.
Tried two different types of soil this year and the Baccto was the winner.
I have read a lot about MG-scotts Soil. Not Good.
It is Very Inconstant.

DGBAMA

I used Battco starting mix this yr. after last yrs mess.
Tried two different types of soil this year and the Baccto was the winner.
I have read a lot about MG-scotts Soil. Not Good.
It is Very Inconstant.

Baccto has a Starting Mix? I have not seen it. I use their "peat mix" which seems more like a Loam than a Peat. Good soil. Very little bark and BS.

Brown Thumb

Baccto has a Starting Mix? I have not seen it. I use their "peat mix" which seems more like a Loam than a Peat. Good soil. Very little bark and BS.
Me Bad, It is the potting soil. But under recommend applications it lists, Germinating Seed.

Rickey60

Update. I got some plants from Larry and got them planted on June 10th (his was late this year also) then mine from the third seeding were planted on the 23rd of June. They were small and it was very hot for small transplants but most have made it so far. I will post pictures soon. I will have about 300 this year.
I just wanted to do a quick update and let everyone know what was going on. Sorry for not posting in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.