Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Buckskin, leather craft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I prefer the dermis to be left on. Though thank you for that because It's been a long time since school room learning now that I recall. You should not have to remove that for a well tanned hide. The epidermis is essential though. The bark tanning will show up the areas that may have been missed I have found and can be dealt with. When you remove the dermiss you end up with a velour and deer skin is really to thin for that as a rule. There are some nice tools out there for thinning leather that may do the trick but using a close to rot method is where I lost some of the dermiss on a couple of skins.

BarG

Founding Member
Hair side with Dermis intact minus scarring for upper and flesh side for lower pic.
attachment.php

These are in a bark tan tea[2 hides
2 hides from this year , 1 not pictured.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 101_0043.jpg
    101_0043.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 101_0047.jpg
    101_0047.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
Hmm. It seems, from my understanding of mammalian anatomy, that if you remove both the dermis and epidermis, then there is no longer any skin.

01_skin_layers.jpg

The subcutaneous layer is fat and blood vessels.

Bob
So pop quiz # 2 ..If you remove the shiny layer[Dermiss] what is the layer underneath?[The velour layer or leather]?
That blows me away. What would you call that besides leather. The subcutaneous is scraped off in the fleshing process. It leads to the assumption that the leather is the dermiss and the shiny layer is something else. The epidermiss minus all the hair and another layer above the epidermiss which must be removed to tan..Istanbulin may be right.

Matty

Are you thinking of splitting the hide? This is in wikipedia "During the splitting operation, the top-grain and drop split are separated. The drop split can be further split (thickness allowing) into a middle split and a flesh split".

Smokin Harley

Hmm. It seems, from my understanding of mammalian anatomy, that if you remove both the dermis and epidermis, then there is no longer any skin.

01_skin_layers.jpg

The subcutaneous layer is fat and blood vessels.

Bob
you're right. I'm not sure what I was thinking that day ... I meant to write "hair and epidermis" not dermis and epidermis.

istanbulin

Founding Member
... I have several bottles of alum in a shed but have been trying more primitive methods with naturaly more readily available materials and methods [brains and oak bark]. ...

BarG, have you tried sumac tanning ? This bulletin https://archive.org/stream/americansumacval00veitrich#page/n1/mode/2up is old but contains helpful pictures of few sumac species (Rhus spp.) in the US.

If you're, or anybody, interested in growing Sicilian sumac (Rhus coriaria), I have plenty of seeds.

33jmoh3.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
I did a limited amount of research on the sumac tanning.I have a phobia on anything sumac. I would grow any but the poison sumac of which I used to be highly allergic. It took me 40 years to build a decent immunity to it. I can be around it and be okay instead of being downwind and getting busted out with poison ivy or oak. I know they are not the same but the phobia remains.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's not poison sumac if:
  • the leaves have a toothed edge OR
  • the stems have wings
The absence of these two features doesn't mean it is poison sumac, but the presence of either or both of these features assures that it is not poison sumac.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
It's not poison sumac if:
  • the leaves have a toothed edge OR
  • the stems have wings
The absence of these two features doesn't mean it is poison sumac, but the presence of either or both of these features assures that it is not poison sumac.

Bob
I will tryto remember that. I have tne poion ivy and oak down pat. I really have built an immunity to it

Status
Not open for further replies.