Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Humidor/Humidifying for cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

I have rolled a lot of cigars over the last 6 months and have many different blends... How does everyone keep their cigars humidified and separate from each other? Without the cellophane that commericial cigars have, I am afraid that my stogies/blends are going to begin tasting similarly. Any advice and setups you guys want to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gavin

Cigar

Thats a great question dvick003:confused: I have also rolled many cigars last few months while some are wrapped[paper towels/glass tubes] most are not in the same humidor which makes me wonder about that now..glad you asked.

Cigar

webmost

My local cigar store sells their used boxes for a buck a pop. I drop in now and then just to haunt their collection of boxes. Some the these boxes are well made, with nice latches. I look for boxes that have a cedar lining with a beveled edge that seals the lid. One box per blend. All the boxes go in an ice chest. Ice chests keep the humidity super stable

Typical box:
IMG_20141010_box.jpg

Super nice seal on this box (holds home rolled received from other FTT members):
box4.jpg

Best looking box:
box2.jpg

-- notice the hardware (gave this one to a colleague for a Christmas gift to her father in law):
box1.jpg

Lousy buck a pop, you can't go wrong.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After 45 years of storing cigars in various ways within my sink-cabinet-size humidor, with and without cellophane, separated and mixed within the boxes, etc., I will venture to say that (with the exception of fire-cured tobacco and gross aromatics) the flavors and aromas just don't seem to mingle, even with naked cigars laying side by side for many months.

Cello is perfect for selling individual cigars, and maybe for carrying them around in the absence of a good cigar holder. But I would be happy if every cigar sold by the box were left without cello (or a band, for that matter). Cello might be essential for extremely fragile wrappers, but I seldom have those.

Bock y Cia., back in the 1800s, invented the cigar band as a tool to minimize counterfeiting of their brand of cigars--at a time when naked cigars were sold from store counter tops out of open boxes. They're nice when you give individual cigars as a gift. Otherwise, I find them as annoying as the "safety" seal (read, "lawyer's seal") on a jar of peanut butter.

Now, doing experimental home-blending may benefit from a band of sorts, simply to record the blend.

So, I persist in my mantra. Simple works.

Bob

EDIT: Nice boxes, Webmost.

webmost

Yeah, I'm with you on the bands, Bob. Too many are a PITA to remove. FXSS has a method of putting a band inside the cello round the cigar so the cello holds it in place. I've never figured out how they do that. Anyone else do that? Seems to me I've seen it on a Dutch Masters or similar as well. They have a red pull tab on some cellos, too, so you can zip it right off. Worse than bands are those ribbons round the foot. Drive me nuts. Spend five minutes picking at your stick with your fingernails when all you want to do is light it. Naked baccy rocks. Cigars, like women and motorcycles, do their best work naked. I tried a die to identify a naked cigar with a glued on die cut logo. You have the spiral stripes on a Mysterio. I have a Padillar here with an Argyle pattern. So there are ways to identify a cigar without banding it. Cedar sleeves are nice, though. I like to slide the cedar sleeve intact off a Torano 1916 Cameroon, stick my nose on the end, and take a big old full lung snurf thru it. Delicious.

The reason I box them is I like to fill a box with one blend rolled in a series, then salt them away to age.

My fire cured live in a separate box wrapped in cling wrap so they don't stink the joint up. I don't box infused -- I give them away asap. No sense in keeping them.

Other than that, you're right, one stick doesn't affect the others.

LewZephyr

I usually don't worry about my cigars being in the same box unless they are infused or fire cured.
Those need their own repository respectively. Since I don't have many if any of them I usually just do a tuppadore.

On the cello's. Its been discussed on many forums. Some agree some do not. It is reported that the cello's are permeable. So humidity will flow through them. So I assume they really only provide physical protection from being jumbled around and not protection from being neighbors to other cigars.

On the bands, I use regular old printer paper cut into strips and I use the xantham gum for the sticky. It acts like the sticky on post it notes. Usually just comes apart, no tearing. On my bands I flip up the last little bit to make it like an easy pull tag.

HIM

I use empty boxes Ive accumulated. I have a basic code I write on a piece of blue tape I stick to the box so I know what blend that box is. Ex: PC1 = petite corona blend #1. Simple but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.