Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

cigarette smoker needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsgatoram

hi i guess im the minority on here,but i smoke cigarettes and im looking to do it the cheapest way because im disabled and have a very limited income. i have purchased leaves before and tried but all i got was a very harsh unsmokeable cigarette. can someone give me advice on how to do it or the correct leaves to use. do you know of anyone who may give out samples cause i dont want to waste more money.btw im 52 female and disabled from new england. have a nice day:D

bonehead

what kind of leaves did you buy and from who? more info would help a lot. a lot of people on this forum smoke cigarettes. i am one of them. what brand did you used to smoke?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This site in the UK used to buy bulk from http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com and may be easier on the shipping and he may be able to set you up with a suitable blend if you contact him.
http://pureleaf.co.uk/

lol. that's New England, not jolly old England. Probably a Patriots fan.

My favorite full flavor blend is 40% VA flue cured, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir. Buy your leaf from www.wholeleaftobacco.com. They have the best whole leaf available. Welcome to the forum.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Your gonna have to come up with a way to shred the whole leaf bacca..I'd suggest purchase a less expensive manual shredder..

leverhead

Welcome! There's more than a few cigarette smokers here. What and how much do you normally smoke? There are a few things to get used to, shredding and working out a blend that you like can take a little time. I've gone a long time without commercial cigarettes, I don't miss them.

Rickey60

Welcome, glad you joined us. I would suggest you start with a Virginia flue cure type. If you like mild try lemon, or bright type. Later you can mix different types for a lighter mix or go for full flavor.

mrsgatoram

i dont know what kind of leaves they were .it was a long time ago and i really didnt know what i was doing at the time,still dont. i havent bought regular packaged ciggarettes in a very long time but i used to smoke full flavor reg Winstons.now i just buy cigarette tobacco and roll them myself. but i figured there has to be a cheaper way of doing it.right now i have threshed toasted burley,Flue cured virginia threshed and flue cured virginia bright leaf. i also have cigarette casing no 1 and no 2. and i am totaly lost,no idea what to do with this,help!

mrsgatoram

lol. that's New England, not jolly old England. Probably a Patriots fan. Definately not a Pats fan.just to set that straight.i know i sound pretty stupid when it copmes to this but im just starting oout so i just need a little help.i got a sample box with 3 diff. leaves and 2 little bottles of liquid in it.a quick leason would be appreciated.Glad to be here.

ChinaVoodoo

I laughed when I saw the banter about the patriots. I have not used the casing, but I read about it. In sure you will want more advice than mine, but first, and most important is that you smoke the tobacco without casing until you get to know the tobacco unadulterated , (at the leastleast, you should be able to discern what you are smoking without being told). It's not until then that I would play around with casing. Then, spray a little on a sample, smoke it, and see if it made an improvement. If not , don't use it at all, or use a little more. It's about you, and what you like, in the end.

Bogateer

Welcome to the forum.
I hear ya about looking at a bag of whole tobacco leaves and not sure how to get a smokable cigarette from it. the first thing is stripping the midrib and cutting the leaf to rag. it can be done with a knife and cutting board and a ton of patience. the finer the cut the easier it is to stuff in a tube. getting the cut size you like will take trial and error lots of errors. at least for me. getting the right moisture to cut and to roll smokes it very very touchy. the bottle are casing that help to smooth the flavor. be easy with them to much is worse than none. the only wrong way to do it is not trying. enjoy the learning and please read this forum there are answers to almost everything about tobacco on here.

leverhead

Getting it shredded is the hard part. For me, a good cut width is about 1/32" wide. I started out with making tightly rolled thumb sized cigars and a very sharp blade, single edge razor blades are the easiest on the fingers. At a pack a day, it will get old pretty fast. I've tried and given up on scissors and pasta shredders, the best long term solution is a good shredder.

I smoked Winston Reds for many years and I don't miss them. There's too many ways to make a good tasting cigarette to stay with a single blend. Depending on my mood and the time of year, my blends change a little or allot. More full flavor in the Winter, lighter flavor in the Summer. Lighter cigarettes can be very nice with more Turkish tobaccos in the blend, about 20% works good for me.

mrsgatoram

what is the most common(popular) leaf to use?my husband smokes cigar tobacco but i cant way to harsh. so what would be the best for me.when i tried this before(about a year ago) the leaves i bought had feathers and mold on them. i complained and they said they hung them in a barn so sometimes pigeons got into the barn and sat on the leaves.i immediately threw it all away,gross.they offered me more free but thats like when you find a hair in your chili and they offer you another bowl.one more thing,how about like the magic bullet to chop up the leaves,would that work good?

ChinaVoodoo

Magic bullet would not work very well. If you have square or round pieces of tobacco, they are far more likely to plug the cigarette and block the airflow. Ribbon allows for longitudinal pathway of airflow, as well as decreasing the density of tobacco by adding spring to it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
.right now i have threshed toasted burley,Flue cured virginia threshed and flue cured virginia bright leaf. i also have cigarette casing no 1 and no 2. and i am totaly lost,no idea what to do with this,help!

Are you having trouble shredding the leaf, or with blending the leaf for a good smoke? At the minimum, I would recommend buying Izmir to add to your VA flue cured and Burley. Start with around 60% VA, 30% Burley, 10% Izmir. The Izmir is a Turkish variety and will add some floral flavor but not much nicotine. Burley will have the strongest nicotine and strongest flavor. To me, the flue cure is rather light tasting with low nicotine. Start with the blend above and report back. Adjust the blend to suit your tastes. The best leaf vendor is www.wholeleaftobacco.com and he also owns and runs this forum.

There are many make do options for shredding, the best option to date is the Powermatic electric shredder. http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Powermatic-S-Whole-Leaf-Tobacco-Shredder-PwrmtcS.htm
It is expensive, but with the money you are saving over store bought cigarettes, it won't take long for it to pay for itself. Other options are listed in the shredder forum: http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/60-Shredders-Slicers-and-Dicers

This is how I measure by volume. You can use any container. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3609-Shredding-Blending-by-Volume

The blend I gave earlier is my favorite for a full flavored smoke, but you would need to add Maryland and Dark Air to your stash, as well as the Izmir mentioned earlier. Add the Izmir first, take baby steps, and work up to your perfect blend as you go along. Record either the weight or volume of each component of your blend so you can duplicate the one you like later on. Let us know how it''s going and maybe we can tell you what your blend is missing from your description. Best of luck. If you need help just ask.

bonehead

if your tobacco is to dry it will be harsh no matter what variety you have. it cant be wet but it shouldn't break up if you handle it. it is hard to explain. maybe someone can explain it better than me.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
if your tobacco is to dry it will be harsh no matter what variety you have. it cant be wet but it shouldn't break up if you handle it. it is hard to explain. maybe someone can explain it better than me.

Good point. Here's a good video on moisture content for rolling: http://www.ryomagazine.com/multimedia/tobacco.htm

If your tobacco is so dry that it is crumbly, mist it with a little water from a spray bottle and seal it up in a plastic baggie for a few hours. If it ends up too wet, let it dry down to what is shown in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.