Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Oregon Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmuff

Howdy, name is Robert. 67. I'm on the Southern Coast of Oregon. Lots of rain here! Inland a couple miles back in the hills.

I got interested in growing in 2009 and grew 9 varieties. I was mostly trying to grow cigar and chewing tobacco and my crop did very well. Grew through the spring and summer, picked and color cured in the fall as my leaves ripened and built a kiln and fermented into the winter. All in all it was lots of fun. Rolled a couple boxes of cigars and made a Redman type leaf chew. Cigars aren't Fuentes for sure--my favorite occasional smoke. Chew is excellent.

I dried and stored most of my leaves. Just looked in on them for the first time in about a year and they are smelling and looking great. Probably have 800 to 1000 in total. Anyway, the plan is to bring them back into case a hand or two at a time and roll single leaf or two half leaf variety cheroots now and again and probably try making some twists along the line of Oliver Twist. I'll likely be lurking or asking a few questions. I'll gladly answer any questions about my experiences too if I can be of any help. Great forum.

On a side note, I did grow some Perique varietal. Didn't make a press but rather rolled twists and vacuum packed. Just opened a bag after five years and it's some black pungent stuff! Not sure what to do with it.

Hope everyone is doing good.
Robert

Rickey60

Welcome yo the forum Robert, sounds like you got a lot going on. Were did you learn how to grow, harvest, and cure your tobacco? Will you grow this year?

rsmuff

Welcome yo the forum Robert, sounds like you got a lot going on. Were did you learn how to grow, harvest, and cure your tobacco? Will you grow this year?

Mostly learned on the forums that were active a few years back and lots of reading on the internet. I still have a lot of seed that I stored in my gunsafe and I'll likely see if some will sprout and grow some more this year. I start mine using peat pellets indoors in March or April and set it out in late May. Top it first week of August and start the pick towards the end of August give or take depending on variety. Lots of hand labor in growing tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.