Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Beer Carbonation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I am running 5gal corny kegs, with 5' long 3/8"ish OD hoses. I find if I run it at 10psi, its flat, but if I do 15psi, it foams like a mofo. Any advice?

ChinaVoodoo

I start out at room temperature after it comes from the secondary, fill the keg, hook up the CO2 tank to the outlet, set at 15psi, and shake the keg until either it stops bubbling, or I get tired; whichever comes first, then I disconnect the CO2 from the outlet, and connect it to the inlet, and hook my hose with the hand tap on the end of it to the outlet. Then I leave it in the beer fridge to cool for a few days while under pressure, until it is cold. I assume it takes on more CO2 during this time, as it wasn't totally carbonated in the first place, and the solubility of CO2 goes up as the beer gets colder.

When I fill a glass, the tank valve is still open. It comes out really fast, and then foams up, I believe after it comes out. If I turn the valve off and mostly vent the keg, then fill a glass, it comes out very slow, and carbonated, but you can only fill a couple glasses this way before you have to put more pressure on it, so although it works, I feel it isn't right. With 10psi, I get an appropriate head, but very few bubbles. Maybe Jitterbug is right. Perhaps I just need to find the sweet spot?

bonehead

when i carbonate i never come near 15lbs psi. i do it with the beer chilled and the c02 tank way up high and let the pressure equilize over 3 or 4 days with the keg on it's side. what pressure you carbonate depends on the type of beer you make. keep the tank near the ceiling if you try this because beer will back up the hose when it is equilized. it helps to have a clear hose. you don't wan't beer in your regulators.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Let me know if you need a "" taste-tester""...I like me some beer...I've never made my own beer but I've thought about it...

bonehead

if you make beer the only bad part is bottleing if you don't keg it. i started using champagne bottles for bottled beer because they can take a lot of pressure and are bigger, plus you can hand cap with plastic champagne corks for pennies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I'm seriously thinking of trying my luck at home brewing..just to get a stronger beer..my 4 years in Germany ruined me on strong beer..I like it.

I had a catalog years ago that sold all you needed to get started....is it truly worth the money.to make your own beer??

DIY Pete

I'm seriously thinking of trying my luck at home brewing..just to get a stronger beer..my 4 years in Germany ruined me on strong beer..I like it.

I had a catalog years ago that sold all you needed to get started....is it truly worth the money.to make your own beer??

NO it's not worth the money if you like to drink Busch Light and other assorted piss water. However I think it is a good way to go if you like the darker stronger type beers that tend to cost more. My favorite brew cost 9 bucks a bottle, if I drank more than a few a year I would try and recreate it at home. The way it is I drink so little that any brewing I do is just for the fun of it.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/chimay-bleue-blue--grande-reserve/53/

Pete

BarG

Founding Member
Frog says ..BUD....Frog2 says ...WEI...Frog 3 says..SER!!!
One of the best superbowl commercials ever, and a decent beer to boot! Of course that was so long ago when the Houston Oilers were a team and they took you right to the edge just to fall over the cliff.

DGBAMA

Frog says ..BUD....Frog2 says ...WEI...Frog 3 says..SER!!!
One of the best superbowl commercials ever, and a decent beer to boot! Of course that was so long ago when the Houston Oilers were a team and they took you right to the edge just to fall over the cliff.

The frogs were classic.

So was the retriever dog that would fetch beer (don't remember brand) from the refrigerator (and sometimes pour himself one in the process).

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Back in the day before micro-brews, craft beers and home brews, I always said that if I ever went to a fancy party where they had a bunch of import beers, I'd still drink a Bud. Now, I call myself the biggest beer snob in the world and when I go to fancy parties, I take a 12 pack of Bud with me, but I always offer..."If anyone would like a snob beer, help yourself"

BarG

Founding Member
Back in the day before micro-brews, craft beers and home brews, I always said that if I ever went to a fancy party where they had a bunch of import beers, I'd still drink a Bud. Now, I call myself the biggest beer snob in the world and when I go to fancy parties, I take a 12 pack of Bud with me, but I always offer..."If anyone would like a snob beer, help yourself"

LOL! I may have to adopt that attitude! If I ever get invited to a party!

ChinaVoodoo

YES! That is the first all caps I've used. Hopefully the last. Contrary to wine making, where is near impossible to make something as good as a winery, a home brewer can easily make beer that is, wait for it..... Better than most of the beer at your average store, at a fraction of the price. If I want to go cheap, I can make a 5 gallon all grain batch (about 5 cases I beer) for $12. If I'm a little lazy, or extravagant, I could do an extract batch for as much as $60.

There is tons of expensive equipment out there, so I'm not sure what you're looking at. Extract brewing, all your gear shouldn't be more than $80=$100. The only thing I've added to that for all grain, is a bucket, a $8 filter bag, and a$150mill.

Smokin Harley

YES! That is the first all caps I've used. Hopefully the last. Contrary to wine making, where is near impossible to make something as good as a winery, a home brewer can easily make beer that is, wait for it..... Better than most of the beer at your average store, at a fraction of the price. If I want to go cheap, I can make a 5 gallon all grain batch (about 5 cases I beer) for $12. If I'm a little lazy, or extravagant, I could do an extract batch for as much as $60.

There is tons of expensive equipment out there, so I'm not sure what you're looking at. Extract brewing, all your gear shouldn't be more than $80=$100. The only thing I've added to that for all grain, is a bucket, a $8 filter bag, and a$150mill.

With all the other hobbies and things I do . I have a home beer making kit that I bought at a thrift store for $5. Its all there,everything is still factory sealed except for the box. I have looked at the directions a few times but for some reason ,I just can't seem to get started...
A lady I grew up with lives in TX and is a member of a home brewing club. She tells me nothing I brew can hurt me and don't worry , just try it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
With all the other hobbies and things I do . I have a home beer making kit that I bought at a thrift store for $5. Its all there,everything is still factory sealed except for the box. I have looked at the directions a few times but for some reason ,I just can't seem to get started...
A lady I grew up with lives in TX and is a member of a home brewing club. She tells me nothing I brew can hurt me and don't worry , just try it.

i was wondering if you'd used that thing yet ???

and im still spinning the idea of getting all the gear to make my own and possiblly grow some of the ingrediants,,

im getting i'll of drinking american piss-- water.... ive been to europe i know what a good strong beer taste's like<----------

Smokin Harley

i was wondering if you'd used that thing yet ???

and im still spinning the idea of getting all the gear to make my own and possiblly grow some of the ingrediants,,

im getting i'll of drinking american piss-- water.... ive been to europe i know what a good strong beer taste's like<----------

No, I haven't yet...I guess I am waiting for someone to help me that has done it before .I also keep looking at buying a 5 gallon copper still (from Clawhammer). Other thing is , currently we're waiting on lab pups to drop .Shes overdue and no sign of getting it going either,but she seems fine.
We don't drink regular beer either- Bud, Miller,Busch, etc...all cheap get ya drunk quick ,no taste , swill. Most gives me a headache or upset stomach.
Lucky for us the Fresh Thyme store has a nice wall cooler that houses many a variety of brews , with a small end cap of orphan bottles to pick-a-6 pack for $9.99. My current favorite daily beer is made by Sierra Nevada called Kellerweiss. Nice cloudy wheat beer with a small amount of yeast at the bottom, empty most of the bottle into a frosted mug, swirl around whats left in the bottle and pour out the yeast on top of the head. I like to make a good Guinness/Harp black-n-tan .
I like Anchor Steam pretty well too. I like flavor without being overhopped...IPA's are nasty to me, some people like them a lot.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I am running 5gal corny kegs, with 5' long 3/8"ish OD hoses. I find if I run it at 10psi, its flat, but if I do 15psi, it foams like a mofo. Any advice?

I've been reading up on this since I might try at forced co2 for next years batches. Try making sure there is no leakage by using soap water on your lines. from what I under stand is that 10 psi for 24 hours.
I've been using corn sugar for priming. of course, you run the risk of making hand grenades doing this but I was a little on the conservative side and they're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.