Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapper Width

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondford

When I first started out my wrapper width was way too wide, which resulted in way too much over-lay that affected the burn. I've gotten better and cut my wrapper narrower (a diagram Gdaddy posted helped a lot), but I feel they are still too wide. Is there a chart, rule-of-thumb, guideline, anything that shows the proper width the wrapper should be cut for the different ring gauge cigars? Any help much appreciated.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

waikikigun

Don't forget that there is no hidden info in a cigar's construction: you can simply unwrap any cigar whose form interests you--corona, robusto, whatever--and study the shape of the wrapper and the filler or whatever you're working on. There are no secrets in there, construction-wise.

When I was first learning this stuff I deconstructed dozens of cigars and made paper towel templates that matched what I found, then used templates to help me make sure I was getting my own shapes right. Seems crazy but it removed the mystery of the pro fundamentals, and was interesting to compare different brands' methods.

Gdaddy

If you feel it's too wide then cut it down some more. Make it as thin as you can yet still cover the cigar. I do have a tendency to use even thinner width on smaller cigars.

The burn line is also affected by the binder used. I use the thinnest (volado) double binder and top with a fairly thin wrapper.

Thick flat layers stacked on each other are hard to burn even when properly dried. Ever try to burn a phone book?

webmost

Would you explain what you mean by half inch overlap

As your wrapper coils around the cigar, the one coil covers about half an inch of the preceding coil.

The machines at FXSS cut and apply their wrappers with precision each time, allowing only a quarter inch overlap, so that the burn is predictably good all the way to the nub. Wish I could do that good. Can't. Near the head, tho, I tend to go round and round, to help solidify the nub. Otherwise, a half inch is plenty. Burn is a real problem here in Summer, when the afternoon air gets so thick and damp.

moscca

At whitch Rh you store you cigars webmost ? also very humid here, and now I store at 65% and have better results the before (68-70%)

webmost

At whitch Rh you store you cigars webmost ? also very humid here, and now I store at 65% and have better results the before (68-70%)

The fancy humidor for spensive store boughts that guys send me -- that's always in the low 60s -- reads 62 right now. I'm not anal enough to keep anything right on one specific digit. I may check once a week or so. The big cooler chest that holds Big Payback box of home rolled from other FTT members and various boxes of my own Uppowoc Perfectos, either in the process of aging, or waiting for some sucker for me to foist them on, that's in the low 60s too. Reminds me, I gotta load up a Johnny Sotweedseed bomb for the guy who sold us Bearswatter's Equinox. I bombed his desk, he smoked 'em, and when she went in to pick up his plates the other day he told her he would gladly take more, so he's gonna get double hit. Can't be specific about the aging box, cause the hygro in there is analog. Then there is a small beautiful humi that holds my U.P.s which are aged to perfection -- this is my smoking stash -- that reads at 63 right now. Got matalotos in there now -- mata fina and piloto wrapped and bound in habano. Delicious. Then I have a couple drying boxes. These hold fresh rolled waiting to go in the aging cooler. One is a Nat Sherman box ... it's empty at present. Other is the new Indian box. 24 wet habano puros in there now. I don't keep a gauge on the drying boxes -- I go by feel. I'll rotate them into the coolidor when they feel right. The smaller cooler chest holding my working supply of leaves stays around 75. It's higher now, cause I've been working thru DVick's wet stuff. Then there is box after box of FX Smith's Sons on shelves in the napatorium. I used to keep them on the closet shelf here in the home office; but I like the odor of them in the nap room. They just stay at whatever the house is; and they seem to keep just fine.

I have way too many cigars and I can't stop rolling more. Looking forward to unloading some when Johnny Sotweedseed rides the Blue Ridge next month.

I forget who sold me a big bag of those hygroscopic crystals. Something like that would help suck the damp out of your cigars. My grandpa used rice for the purpose, IIRC, at his house in Bayamon PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.