Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bezukixie

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Drove home thru the snow to find a padded envelope in the mailbox, came all the way from Texas Brazos Valley. Beautiful stuff.

BarG shot me six giant Bezuki leaves like so:

bezuki.jpg

Very giant sized -- they spill over either end of the breadboard. Appear to be far less toothy than what I remember getting from WLT a couple years back.

And two of these turnip shaped small leaves, I take it, are the Dixie Shade:
dixie.jpg

Wonderful glorious odor to these Dixie Shade. Smell just like an Amish barn in summer.

I'm thinking I should be able to get four small binders out of the Dixies, and a dozen wrappers along with another eight binders out of the Bezuki. So that's a dozen cigars, all I need is filler.

My staple filler is Criollo 98. Just judging from the odor of this leaf, I can't feature that would make the appropriate filler for a dozen bezukixie stix. I have some Corojo, Mata Fina, some Piloto Viso, a smidge of dark fired Shiraz, even some red tip Burley.

I dunno. What do you think ought to go inside these fine leaves?

dvick003

I wrapped 10 cigars a month ago in bezuki wrapper. The bezuki wrapper is a mild tasting wrapper to me so I used all habano seco and 1 leaf of mata fina and it turned out amazing. I have a feeling that blend will be my yard cigar this summer. Great full creamy taste but without the big nicotine hit...

Gavin

Brown Thumb

Nice looking leaf, you done good BarG. I would frame it and put it on a wall.

webmost

I wrapped 10 cigars a month ago in bezuki wrapper. The bezuki wrapper is a mild tasting wrapper to me so I used all habano seco and 1 leaf of mata fina and it turned out amazing. I have a feeling that blend will be my yard cigar this summer. Great full creamy taste but without the big nicotine hit...

Gavin

Yeah I don't have habano seco; however, I have been rolling some habano wrapper scrap perfectos here recently. About three Uppowoc Perfectos prodice enough wrapper scrap for one Scrappowoc Perfecto. They come out looking very fine, and they do taste super duper dandy, thick smoke, leaving a fine morning mouth; but they admittedly have burn problems. Love the living heck out of them. So that's a good idea. I'll bezook a dixie bound scrappowoc with a touch of mata fina. A bezixiefina scrappowoc.

Ever feel like yer runnin outta words? Make some up.

BarG

Founding Member
The lower and middle leaves were huge on the Bezuki. I lost a lot during drying due to mildew where they were touching with not enough air circulation and a very wet drying period while I was out of town to much. I think It should grow well anywhere. My shade attempt was a bust after about 2 weeks after planting when a storm blew it away, so these were primarily sun grown.

charlie G.

Some very good looking leaves BarG. My hats off to you. I've never seen or tasted home grow tobacco. But I know there must be a huge amount of work involved to get great looking leaf like that.

ArizonaDave

The lower and middle leaves were huge on the Bezuki. I lost a lot during drying due to mildew where they were touching with not enough air circulation and a very wet drying period while I was out of town to much. I think It should grow well anywhere. My shade attempt was a bust after about 2 weeks after planting when a storm blew it away, so these were primarily sun grown.

I also received a similar package from BarG, and they do look Fantastic! Although, really sorry for your crop loss.

webmost

I've rolled eight perfectos wrapped with BarG's bazooka -- first, six Scrappowocs (so named because they are filled with scraps of habano wrapper); then, just now, two Carajos (filled with criollo and corojo). However, no matter how I try, I cannot get BarG's beautiful leaf to lay down properly. The more I wet it, the toothier it gets. It just does not share that elastic quality of Habano, which makes Habano so handy when wrapping a perfecto. Like certain women I've known, it stretches, but it does not snap back. You put it to bed wet, it just lays there, instead of tightening round your stick.

Worse yet, where Habano adds a measure of creamy rich flavor and a fine odor; bazooka adds little flavor and it smells like wet forest floor. The small humidor where I put home-rolled to bed smells completely different since I put a fistful of these in.

Now, don't get me wrong. This is amazing leaf if you like Bezuke. You could certainly search high and low without finding Bezuke this large, nor anywhere near so carefully tended, nor so smoothly prepared, as this which BarG sent out. Just does not suit my purpose. I suppose I am lucky in that I hit upon Habano so soon in my perfecto journey. In fact, I may unwrap these last two Carajos and re-wrap them with Habano, since they were such good looking blanks to start with.

I still have a couple bazooka wrappers left. I may roll regular robustos with them. I will turn my attention to BarG's Dixie Shade for binder. That leaf has an intriguing odor to it.

Thanks for the means to experiment, BarG.

Chris A

Bar G Bezuki smells a bit like Lonnies Havana to me. I think I will try hit with Lonnies filler and some habana Viso.

Chris A

I rolled several with Lonnies Havana and CT broadleaf fillers, with a leaf of Nic Habano Viso. Bound a couple with Dixie Wrapper and others with Bar G Bezuki. Very easy to hydrate and work with. Wrapped all with Bezuki from Don. Letting them sit for a few weeks. Will report then. I use Lonnies for filler only.

webmost

Bearswatter in the hospital this week, so I've had the house to my own. Between a workslide at the office and a workalanche in my side business and getting in and out to see Bearswatter, I just have not had a moment to smoke. Meanwhile, her little Bichon yapdog Sophie was getting all lonely and depressed. So last night I quit working around 9:30, lit a fire in the TV room hearth, settled down on the leather love seat with a blanket on my lap, Sophie on the blanket, and DVD'd MMA on the boob toob, and relaxed with a smoke.

I sparked up an Dixie bound Uppowoc Carajo -- which was Don's Corojo and Criollo filler with three of those pea-sized Prileps, bound in BarG's Dixie, and wrapped in Don's Habano. I gotta say first off this was one of my best rolls for shape and appearance. Loose enough in the foot (which, usually, is my Achilles heel, is a too-tight foot), a beautiful swelling barrel, and a roundish head, all firm throughout, with a fine draw. When I was bunching these Dixie experiments, I remarked how perfectly suited these leaves are to the perfecto shape. They are just the right size. And the leaves seem to cup around the bunch just right too. So as far as the shape of this leaf, I don't think I could ask for anything better for my purpose.

As for the aroma, I was eager to find out how it tasted. I got to say, from the first light, well before this cigar burnt up into the barrel and hit the Prilep, I could taste a fine smooth sweetness that could only come from this Dixie. I love the spicy wood of the Criollo -- I know what that is. I love the nutmeg spice of the corojo -- I know what that is. I love the creamy character and aroma of the habano -- I know what that is. But there was clearly a sweet smooth tobacco flavor in the mix, I take that to be the Dixie. I think I am in love with this stuff.

So my verdict is: BarG's bazooka is top notch leaf but not for me. BarG's dixie I am crazy infatuated with it.

BarG -- look for a PM.

BarG

Founding Member
I appreciate the honesty on your review. I had never noticed that on my homegrown bezuki. I barely dampen it before rolling and never give it a chance to do any thing before firing up, heh heh. INDIANJOE sent the seeds to me for the Dixie. I like it also in my ciggs. I will grow it again.

ArizonaDave

I appreciate the honesty on your review. I had never noticed that on my homegrown bezuki. I barely dampen it before rolling and never give it a chance to do any thing before firing up, heh heh. INDIANJOE sent the seeds to me for the Dixie. I like it also in my ciggs. I will grow it again.

BarG, I rolled mine up today, I'll let you know in a few days. Looking forward to it! Easy leaf to work with, it just laid on there perfect!

BarG

Founding Member
I have a lot of the ct. broadleaf from 2012. I dont much care for it. Anyone interested? 2 1/2 lbs of lugs,mids and tops, in Vapor proof bag. No bugs and still flexible after 3 yrs.
I would still reccomend kilning. Great wrappers and binders. Great condition. The longest hands are arond 22".

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
All the havanas I have smoked limited to : Lonnies havana, havana 42 , havana 425, havana 142...The havana 425 is the most outstanding and a superior producer. By outstanding I refer to the tobacco itself. There is nothing bland about this. If Tennessee Tom were around he would tell ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.