Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Insight from a whole leaf customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I got this email today and thought it had value to this forum. It sounds like he took a lot of pieces and parts of different recipes and created his own.

I am new to tobacco processing but I have finally found a recipe that works for me.

1. Shred and de-stem tobacco.
2. Spray with water,sugar and molasses mixture until evenly moist.
3. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 250 until dry.
4. Remove from oven and spray while hot with above mixture until evenly moist, then let stand overnight.
5. Add tobacco to 4 pints water and 2 tbl spoons of molasses.
6. Bring mixture to boil for 10 minutes and then simmer for 50 minutes.
7. Allow to cool, then squeeze out mixture and spread on cookie sheet.
8. Bake at 250 until dry enough to roll.

Your cigarette sample is very rich and flavorful, but I find I would like to use it sparingly and for special occasions... kind of like a fine aged scotch. I have tried the burley and virginia in equal parts and find this combination more suitable for an every day smoke.

I am really enjoying this art of tobacco processing... the result far surpasses what we have come to refer as "Government cigarettes"... in fact, the other day I had to go get groceries and I thought I would have a tailor made on the way... I had one drag and put it out... I can't believe I smoked them for so long.
Some day I hope to get really good at this... this is the best hobby I've ever had... hell, I might even buy me a custom made barbeque apron and hat to match...lol.

He's another Canadian customer...sounds like they have some pretty crappy tobacco up there. Don't cigarettes cost around $20 a pack up there?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Well I used the mixture recommendation from the forum under the stoving section... but I can't be exactly sure about amounts as I kinda winged it... I would guess that it would be roughly one teaspoon of sugar and two teaspoons of molasses to 3 ounces of water.

The burley and virginia that I tried was some left over from an old order from another company... the virginia was Canadian bright... this could be why it wasn't so strong.
I'm glad you are sending the dark air... thank you... and I'll be careful to do some testing before I go into full production.

I would like to get to the point where I can make enough "bread and butter"cigarettes to last a year and then store them for use as I need them... this will allow time for other smaller experiments into the land of flavor.

Not sure what stoving is...

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive never flavored any of my baccy so far,,,,???? perhaps im missing something??????

but my natural baccy, is fine so no need for me to change the ingredients>

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
ive never flavored any of my baccy so far,,,,???? perhaps im missing something??????

but my natural baccy, is fine so no need for me to change the ingredients>

ditto!.. I don't understand everyone's desire to add things to tobacco. Like Chicken's.. mine taste great unadulterated!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I first started I was into all the casing ideas, now I'm in the "it's fine as is" camp

Whalen

I have been processing whole leaf bright Virginia (four pounds), Burley (one pound), and then mixing it "as is" with a heavily cased bagged (store bought) pipe tobacco and bagged Oriental. Five pounds whole leaf to one pound cased and one pound Oriental. Result - seven pounds of perfect smoking tobacco.

BarG

Founding Member
I've been blending up to four varietys equal parts [ 1 leaf of each and find I smoke maybe a pack a day tops! compared to 1.5 minimum when I bought big tobacco smokes.]

Status
Not open for further replies.