Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello All. Take a moment to introduce myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnphysics

I am a part time tobacco farmer. By part time I mean I produce half my income from raising tobacco (4-8 acres/varies each season) and sell to whomever will buy it at auction. Luckily this year I had a contract through a tobacco company. My other company, lawn mowing, helps keep finances and things in check during the down time while the tobacco is growing. Let me know if you want more information about my operation, it is much larger than what most of you guys do, but I have a lot of experience in raising burley tobacco, and if you have a problem or question, I more than likely have see it or know what it is. If I don't know the answer I can usually get one from my many connections in agriculture. Hope I am welcome here and can help others out and learn something new.

Thanks!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think you are more than welcome to FTT.
-Hope you take some pictures and put up here. I think alot of us members are interesting of you and your work

//Hasse

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT. Please add a general location to your profile. We're looking forward to picking your brain.

webmost

Lawn Physics? Never heard them called that.
Reminds me of a cigar I rolled the other day...
... except a cigar doesn't squish between your toes.

Lawn Physics. Learn something new every day.

rainmax

Founding Member
Lawnphysisc, god start and luck to you. What strain of Burley is best for you? Welcome to the forum.

lawnphysics

Well, this past year (2014) I raised almost five acres of tobacco. I am currently grading the tobacco from that crop and plan on delivering 10,000 +/- pounds of tobacco on February 6 to contract/market. Planning on raising 12 acres; around 25,000 pounds of tobacco in 2015.

Normally I raise -msKY 14 X L8LC-. This past year I tried a new variety for half of my crop -HB 4488PLC-. I was not too impressed with that variety. The 4488 brings excellent weight, but poor leaf quality. The 14xL8 seems to do best on my farm. Other Burley varieties I have experimented with are:

KT 204LC
KT 206LC
KT 209LC
KT 210LC
KT 212LC
TN 90LC

The 204, 206, 209 I was impressed with, the others not so much, if I had to use another variety other than 14xL8 I would probably use 204 or 206, but I always seem to come back to the old farm family favorite 14xL8. I think it just does better in the soil on the farm.
I already ordered 150,000 14xL8 for this season which I will start seeding in the greenhouse on March 15th. I will start getting pictures at that point for everyone. Then you can follow the 2015 crop if you want to. I will try to get a picture of the end of this seasons crop in the truck, loaded before I take off to market next week.

lawnphysics

attachment.php

Field 005-Year2014-Cutting Season. This is HB4488. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 2014-Field 005-Cutting Season.jpg
    2014-Field 005-Cutting Season.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 68

BigBonner

Founding Member
I like the HB4488 , but I wonder about the variety playing out as this year it seemed to not grow as good like some of the other varieties in the past .
Here is a picture of some I grew organic .
ZZ0icxP.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've driven past burley fields in Monroe County, WV, just over the Virginia state line, off Peters Mountain. It was a time warp to a less urbanized past.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
lawnphysics

I would check on contracts before planning a bigger crop . Contract cuts are probably coming .
Plus Phillip Morris is doing away with contracts all together . They are having other contractors buy their tobacco starting next year .
RJ Reynolds is still buying but cutting contracts down in size to eliminating some all together .

That being said , there is NO place else to get a decent price for tobacco .

charlie G.

Welcome to the site. I never grew anything besides weeds in the so called flower garden but really enjoy seeing and reading about what you growers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.