Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

N, E storm is on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigar

we here are snowed-in with 1/2 inch of light snow schools are closed but what bothers me is the snow is 'glowing' with brite green/yellow tint?? must be from the west coast hehe It cant be from north/northeast OH/PA/NY/CT it would be 'yellow' only

Brown Thumb

Woke up to 1/4 in. dusting. What a bunch of BS. Schools closed and nobody on the roads.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Poor Boston barely gets a mention of the impending doom and they get hit with the brunt of the storm. Meanwhile, New York City shuts down for 6" of fluff and half a billion dollars lost to non-productivity.

When is the NWS ever going to be accountable for trying to make themselves appear important?

DIY Pete

Poor Boston barely gets a mention of the impending doom and they get hit with the brunt of the storm. Meanwhile, New York City shuts down for 6" of fluff and half a billion dollars lost to non-productivity.

When is the NWS ever going to be accountable for trying to make themselves appear important?

I blame the media for the over hype. Predicting snow fall is hard. If the NWS predicts .5 inches or rain and the storm shifts a little so 2 inches falls it's really not the end of the world. Change that same amount of precipitation to snow and the totals go from a predicted 5 inches (.5 inch rain) to 20 inches of snow (2 inches of rain), that is a very big deal.

Pete

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What's not to like about every news channel each showing live coverage of 16 reporters in parkas pointing out that snow is falling where they're standing?

"Well...there's one non-emergency vehicle driving by, as you can see. But it's mostly pretty quiet here. And my cheeks and lips are cold, so forgive me if I mumble some words. Back to you."

"BREAKING NEWS! New York City did not get a big snowfall. Repeat. Did not. Back to you."

Back to you, Don.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hurricane Katrina put a scare into the gov't and the media. They don't want to miss the next big one after Bush was blamed for creating that hurricane.

jolly

I can relate. The low was 46F here today. I had to get a sweater out of the top of the closet. There was so much condensation on the windshield of the car that I had to turn the wipers on before I could pull out.

Our news anchors are also outside in parka's talking about non-emergencies. Lots of hype over the wind we got over the last few days. Talks of beach erosion and hazardous boating... I hope the coral reefs are ok.

Personally, I can't wait for the next hurricane. Invariably one of the weather people blows away by stepping out into the wind. A few years ago Al Roker wiped out. Classic...

bonehead

one of my friends is a manager at a large grocery store and she had to go to work monday on her day off because their were so many people buying everything they could. i only wen't to the gas station and package store. i needed beer and electricity if we lost power.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
...and what's with naming these storms?

attachment.php

Attachments

• buried-house-1-0c4074.jpg
    buried-house-1-0c4074.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 56

leverhead

I was thinking of eating some crawfish today, but I was unprepared. Tomorrow I'll wear a darker T-shirt and bring the sun screen. I miss living in New England.

Matty

Been downgraded here too. We got maybe 6" of snow but it's hard to tell with the wind. Really fluffy snow, could use a leaf blower to clear it, the flakes remind me of fish food flakes only white.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What the CNN anchor asked the spokesperson for the mayor of NYC: "It seems like the mayor over-reacted. It cost the city hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue. Can you comment on that?"

What the spokesperson did not say: "Are you asking me why the mayor was so foolish as to believe all your media hype about the severity of the storm?"

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The most unfortunate thing about how the media handled the story is the way future warnings will be perceived...Aesop's Fable.

One of two things will happen. The media will under report the next catastrophe or people will simply ignore the warnings. Either way, it's not going to be a good outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.