Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PO's 2015 Grow Log ( 4 th year now )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planter

What I found is working well as an initial fertilizer and strengthener for younger plants is nettle feed. Stinks, but works. Dilute it 1:10, don´t pour over the leaves. After a few days you can usually watch how they suddenly prosper.

POGreen

I used a hole lot of nettles in my waterbarrels in 2013 , I think they did good in the water but I used calcium nitrate in the water at the same time so I can't really say......

ChinaVoodoo

I used coffee grounds last year a lot. I read that is good fertilizer but like knucklehead said is better to ferment it in compost first. If you have few coups a day that is nothing to worry about. Last year I make deal with three coffee shops and I collect coffee grounds once every ten days, about 10 to 50 pounds in each bar. I still have a pile from last year.
The best experience was with snails. They hate the coffee because it impact their nervous system. So I spread a lot of coffee around my growing zone. It really helped a lot.
The coffee is acidic and my soil is alkaline and I thought that I will make it right for my tobacco. I believe I use it to much. But in the end of season I collect nice tobacco.

Coffe is good stuff! BTW, wish you all the best this year.

You can find a lot of articles on net, but the best looking roses in the garden are the ones where our grandmother spell the coffee grounds ...:)

The "coffee is acidic " cliché is a fallacy, actually. There are a couple reasons for it. One is that it is mildly acidic, but it has very little buffeting power, so it isn't effective at lowering the pH of anything, especially the solids. Secondly, when people say that the acid hurts their stomachs, it's really rancid fatty acids that hurt their stomach lining, more in the same way that deep fried food does. Dark roast and old coffee are the worst. It's not the "acid".

Grumpa

The "coffee is acidic " cliché is a fallacy, actually. There are a couple reasons for it. One is that it is mildly acidic, but it has very little buffeting power, so it isn't effective at lowering the pH of anything, especially the solids. Secondly, when people say that the acid hurts their stomachs, it's really rancid fatty acids that hurt their stomach lining, more in the same way that deep fried food does. Dark roast and old coffee are the worst. It's not the "acid".

Exactly. I think the misinformation started due to the way coffee is described in the industry. The "acidity" of the coffee describes the lighter, higher tastes of the coffee and the "body" describes the lower tastes and the mouthfeel. I think this somehow was misinterpreted and the legend was born.

ChinaVoodoo

Exactly. I think the misinformation started due to the way coffee is described in the industry. The "acidity" of the coffee describes the lighter, higher tastes of the coffee and the "body" describes the lower tastes and the mouthfeel. I think this somehow was misinterpreted and the legend was born.

That does sound like the source.

I put about 50 lbs (wet) in my compost one year, and i can't say it was any more effective than the usual kitchen scrap, deer bone and tree leaf compost. I think the best thing I ever did for my compost was to buy a bagging lawn mower. Freshly cut, damp grass clippings really get the heat going fast. My compost steams all summer. It breaks down twigs and raspberry sticks. I even have mushrooms growing in it.

POGreen

I had 2 patches last year , one with tabacums and 1 with rusticas.
The tabacumpatch was had about 100 plants and I drilled 6 '' wide X 2-3 feet deep holes and filled them with cowmanure = a hole lot of work
Unfortunately snails/slugs came in to this patch and gorged on all my plants , a real shame since I could not experience how the plants would behave under these circumstances.

Planter

I prefer mine unfertilized (but I´m growing on rich, heavy clay soil), that´s why I only give some starter, if at all. Perhaps last year´s cow manure was already enough, if you are growing again in the same patch?

POGreen

I handed that patch over to the association and a new owner , 2 middleaged gal's who wasn't too much interested in growing just anything on it.
They just complained over everything and have now left us , the new owner seems to be very interested.
My former treasure is now buried down below and I don't think anyone will have any use of it ahead.
I have buried grass and apples on the patch I have now and I hope its going to work out just fine along with clear blue skies and a lot of sun.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
if i had a snail problem... then id say use all the coffee you can get your hands on..

ChinaVoodoo

if i had a snail problem... then id say use all the coffee you can get your hands on..

An espresso Cafe will be a good place to start. Unlike a restaurant where they use filters, and mix grinds in with garbage, espresso gets banged out into a bucket all on its own. At least until the bucket is full. If you talked to them, brought a pail, and promised to come every day or two to empty it, you could get quite a lot.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive seen some big snails.....

luckily i dont have snail issues,,,, but on another website i visit,, a guy that lives on a island posted some pics, of a huge ass snail.. that had the vegetation bent over, that it was climbing,,

all i got is hornworms and aphids, and this year i got something up my sleeve for the aphids. and the hornworms, i kill them like a assassin,

POGreen

Calcium Nitrate is going to be my Nr 1Way to beat the snails/slugs , don't know if urea works against them but I didn't have any problems after using these two on them.
Don't feel comfortable about asking for grounds at a couple of coffee shops we have in town...........

rainmax

Founding Member
They throw it away anyway. Buy one big plastic container with lid(it can smell badly after a week or so) and kindly ask if they can throw coffee in this bin every evening after they finish their work. In a good coffee shop it can be a few kilos a day. After all people are friendly they will help if you trust them with your purpose. In my country we say whoever saves his tongue will starve for bread.
It is much easier than chicken manure. They want money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.