Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chaveta feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It's getting close to needing another run on the chavetas. The reason these current batches were made from spring steel was to match what was being used in the DR by professional rollers...recycled old hand saw blades.

Has anyone had any issues with this material? I'm considering making the next batch out of stainless steel, but I really don't like stainless because it's hard to keep a good edge and if the edge rolls, the only way to sharpen it is to grind the rolled edge off first.

Stainless is prettier than spring steel, but is that enough reason to make stainless chavetas?

Thoughts

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
One of the nice things about Chavetas that are NOT made of stainless steel is that they develop a nice patina over the years.

DIY Pete

I really like my crusty looking one. The ability to keep a nice edge is far more import than looks IMHO.
Pete

Brown Thumb

I like the spring steel look.
The stainless is softer unless you get it hardened and tempered.
That might not be cost effective.
People using granite cutting boards might dull it right out.

webmost

If you're worried about appearance, but some gun blue and smear that on. Only takes a minute and a smidge. Looks great and lasts forever.

LewZephyr

I haven't had mine very long, but I do like it the way it is.
I'd much rather have functional over pretty any day.

charlie G.

I'm with everyone else. I like the spring steel one I have now. I can easily touch up the edge when ever I want.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My only suggestion would be a slightly thinner steel, to decrease the weight. I'm thinking the thickness of an old ripsaw blade.

Bob

Smokin Harley

It's getting close to needing another run on the chavetas. The reason these current batches were made from spring steel was to match what was being used in the DR by professional rollers...recycled old hand saw blades.

Has anyone had any issues with this material? I'm considering making the next batch out of stainless steel, but I really don't like stainless because it's hard to keep a good edge and if the edge rolls, the only way to sharpen it is to grind the rolled edge off first.

Stainless is prettier than spring steel, but is that enough reason to make stainless chavetas?

Thoughts
I use 16 ga carbon sheet steel. The thickness seems to be just fine for the little bit of side pressure I put on it. After I cut them to shape and rough sharpen , I heat it on the gas stove top burner until it turns color kind of a blue/black,then back off the heat but leave it on for about 10 minutes then cool naturally. Once cool , I sharpen and hone until its damn near razor sharp. I've sharpened knives since I was a kid but these actually scare me. The first time I used my own chaveta I sharpened the back of the pointed tip ,for what I dont know , but after a few cigars worth of use , my thumb looked like hell. I dulled that spot real quick as there is no need for that area to be sharp. I just re-honed it yesterday (simple store bought coarse and fine ceramic preset angle sticks you find in any outdoors store , then I follow up with a pair of 45* angled tungsten rods ...and seems every time I do , the edge gets better.

moscca

I have been playing with the idea of using stainless steel because my is rusting, especially where it is sharpened.

Matty

On stainless steel, there is low carbon and high carbon stainless. Generally stainless is low carbon. There are also different grades of stainless, a typical hardware grade would be 308L which is soft. Of course, the stainless would have to be heat treated after shaping regardless of the grade. Low carbon stainless will not harden.

Smokin Harley

I need to apologize for my post #12 up there. It was brought to my attention via PM that I may have stepped on FmGrowits toes a bit by advertising my chavetas for sale on his thread selling his own. If admins deem it necessary ,please delete post #12,thank you .

webmost

I need to apologize for my post #12 up there. It was brought to my attention via PM that I may have stepped on FmGrowits toes a bit by advertising my chavetas for sale on his thread selling his own. If admins deem it necessary ,please delete post #12,thank you .

Yer in Time Out!
attachment.php

Attachments

• time-out.jpg
    time-out.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 62

Cigar

LOL..know thats funny..we tried that few times with my son..he just pizzed on wall and wrote dirty thing on it also..LOL

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
So...carbon steel over spring steel? All my cutlery are old high carbon blades. Couple of swipes over a steel and the edge comes right back. Is there a grade of carbon steel that is better than others. Sharpening a chaveta isn't nearly as easy as sharpening a chef's knife.

I used to use an old carbon steel pizza cutter for my wrapper. Works like a charm, but I'm not too good at sharpening round things.

Status
Not open for further replies.