Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY Pete

Long story short, I have very limited space on my current property but I want to grow a few plants (1 variety) and need some input on what to plant.

So here are the requirements:
-Must be able to grow in a 5 gallon bucket.
-Sun Grown but I plan moving them inside the garage if the weather turns bad (think thunder boomer)
-I would prefer an Oriental/Turkish variety
-No 7 foot giant plants. I want to be able to move these around
-I plan on using the leaf (color cured) to make (attempt to make anyway) Perique and Cavendish for use in my cigars

Thanks
Pete

Planter

Prilep 66-9/7 grows well in pots. Mine ended up 3-4 ft tall in there. Small leaves, easy to carry around, very attractive plants.
So far I like it "periqued" even better than just sun- or air-cured.

bonehead

i grew around 30 black sea samsun in five gallon drywall buckets with around 8 half inch holes in the bottom 2 years ago. it grew, color cured and smoked wonderfully. i would grow it again. it never came close to getting root bound.

DGBAMA

Pete, a smaller burley variety might be better for your intended usage, there are several that stay around 4'.

However, I have some nice orientals indoors right now, in just 1 gal pots and they are doing very well, you could probably plant more this way and have them more "portable".

BarG

Founding Member
Those are mighty fine, nothing beats some good old green during winter time.

Will turkish varietys make perique? It was relegated to a small tract of louisiana land using a certain variety and has recently been experimented on making in all forms and fashions. Thats just me, good luck with your technique.

Last edited:

Planter

I´ve grown Prilep, Izmir, Bursa, Baffra Basma, Tik Konlak, Xanthi, Samsun-Maden and different Havanas in large and small pots.
The Havanas did alrightish, but they want to grow larger than the base of the pot, so will sooner or later touch the neighbour plants, are then not comfortable to carry around and easily thrown over by the wind. I guess that´s the same for most naturally larger tobacco varieties. They do visibly better in the ground.

The Orientals listed above are all fine in pots. The Prileps have a distinct columnar shape and many small, thick leaves (40-50). I had 2 or 3 together in 5 gallon pots without a problem. Tik Konlak is growing very upright without suckers, too, but tends to have bigger leaves and smaller leaf count. It´s looking better in a bed (where it can be really productive). Samsun-Maden did very well (2 plants in a large pot), but I´ve only grown some for half a season. Izmir and Bursa are vigorous, but tend to grow tall with strong "side branches", so sooner or later you have a problem again with carrying and space. Baffra Basma and Xanthi are somewhere in between.

So considering your requirements, in my experience Prilep is quite ideal.
In general, my pot-Orientals are looking very similar to the plants in pictures from Turkey or Greece (small leaves, not very tall). The same varieties planted in rich and heavy clay soil can become monstrous (> 8ft, with 1ft leaves). I haven´t come to a conclusion yet how much the latter compromises the aroma (they are still more aromatic than any commercial Oriental pipe tobacco I know).

Also very suitable for this kind of pot growing should be Little Dutch and Japan-8, but I did not try these yet.

The first summers I had an issue with small pots drying out quickly and getting hot in the sun. Even Orientals suffer then more than they probably should, after all one wants healthy plants. Last spring I prepared some sort of "Terra Preta" with a good amount of charcoal. Covered the bottoms of the pots with Jute and that soil. It keeps moisture well, provides some drainage and works as a buffer (the charcoal will absorb excessive fertilizer, for example). No sign of a deficiency anymore, rarely had to water between rainfalls.

If you are thinking about Perique and Cavendish, consider making pressure cured "Navy Cavendish". Basically like preparing Perique, but with Rum and invert sugar (honey, Pekmez etc.) instead of water. See here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5215-Pressureless-perique?p=99921&viewfull=1#post99921

I´ve sampled several pipe bowls by now, and that stuff is very good, better than any Cavendish I´ve made so far with steam/heat.

Planter

Will turkish varietys make perique?

In my very limited experience, I say YES, see: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5215-Pressureless-perique?p=99918&viewfull=1#post99918

I let it go further, to see where it ends, but the sample taken after 2 months was to me much more attractive than the raw Prilep.
Very smooth, absolutely no bite in the pipe, and interesting enough, the variety aroma is clearly there. Smoked it unblended without a problem (and I´m not a friend of nicotine).
It´s somehow like a VaPer with Latakia added (although no Latakia treatment was involved... but I only know Latakia from commercial blends, not pure). Smoother and much more flavourful than Marlin Flake (which I took out as a VaPer reference).

I already prepared another jar, this time from good, properly air cured leaf (liquid is already brown).

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Burley Jupiter grow very good in pots, But I removed you to even grow dom thing which have more nicotine small stalk Black mammoth, green brior or little Dutch..

DIY Pete

I´ve grown Prilep, Izmir, Bursa, Baffra Basma, Tik Konlak, Xanthi, Samsun-Maden and different Havanas in large and small pots.
The Havanas did alrightish, but they want to grow larger than the base of the pot, so will sooner or later touch the neighbour plants, are then not comfortable to carry around and easily thrown over by the wind. I guess that´s the same for most naturally larger tobacco varieties. They do visibly better in the ground.

The Orientals listed above are all fine in pots. The Prileps have a distinct columnar shape and many small, thick leaves (40-50). I had 2 or 3 together in 5 gallon pots without a problem. Tik Konlak is growing very upright without suckers, too, but tends to have bigger leaves and smaller leaf count. It´s looking better in a bed (where it can be really productive). Samsun-Maden did very well (2 plants in a large pot), but I´ve only grown some for half a season. Izmir and Bursa are vigorous, but tend to grow tall with strong "side branches", so sooner or later you have a problem again with carrying and space. Baffra Basma and Xanthi are somewhere in between.

So considering your requirements, in my experience Prilep is quite ideal.
In general, my pot-Orientals are looking very similar to the plants in pictures from Turkey or Greece (small leaves, not very tall). The same varieties planted in rich and heavy clay soil can become monstrous (> 8ft, with 1ft leaves). I haven´t come to a conclusion yet how much the latter compromises the aroma (they are still more aromatic than any commercial Oriental pipe tobacco I know).

Also very suitable for this kind of pot growing should be Little Dutch and Japan-8, but I did not try these yet.

The first summers I had an issue with small pots drying out quickly and getting hot in the sun. Even Orientals suffer then more than they probably should, after all one wants healthy plants. Last spring I prepared some sort of "Terra Preta" with a good amount of charcoal. Covered the bottoms of the pots with Jute and that soil. It keeps moisture well, provides some drainage and works as a buffer (the charcoal will absorb excessive fertilizer, for example). No sign of a deficiency anymore, rarely had to water between rainfalls.

If you are thinking about Perique and Cavendish, consider making pressure cured "Navy Cavendish". Basically like preparing Perique, but with Rum and invert sugar (honey, Pekmez etc.) instead of water. See here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5215-Pressureless-perique?p=99921&viewfull=1#post99921

I´ve sampled several pipe bowls by now, and that stuff is very good, better than any Cavendish I´ve made so far with steam/heat.

Planter,
You & DGBama have sold me on the Prilep. It sounds like it will fit my needs nicely.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to chime in.
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.