Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Box Pressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIM

Marc great looking job on the cigars. Your work is always a joy to see.
You guys sure are a wealth of knowledge. I learn so much by these posting.

One thing I was amazed at in the RP video was the coloring, ( or what looked liked to me ) The coloring of some of their cigars. Buy the looks of the workers hands that wasn't natural coloring coming off those cigars. His hands and fingers were to stained. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what it looked like to me.

Personally I think they dye their maduros. If you go to 21:38 of the same video it sure looks to me they're using more than just water on those wrapper leaves.

Great looking home rolls, very impressive!!

Gdaddy

Personally I think they dye their maduros. If you go to 21:38 of the same video it sure looks to me they're using more than just water on those wrapper leaves.

Great looking home rolls, very impressive!!

Agreed. They are doing more than just hydrating the tobacco. Some special sauce there.

MarcL

So much goes into consistency. tobacco by its self is a great dye. if you cook stems it makes for a good dye... I am curious as to what all is used in tobacco enhancement.

This deserves another thread.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Marc great looking job on the cigars. Your work is always a joy to see.
You guys sure are a wealth of knowledge. I learn so much by these posting.

One thing I was amazed at in the RP video was the coloring, ( or what looked liked to me ) The coloring of some of their cigars. Buy the looks of the workers hands that wasn't natural coloring coming off those cigars. His hands and fingers were to stained. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what it looked like to me.

Charlie

Handling a lot of leaf will cause your hands to stain like that , especially when the leaves are really wet .
But I believe that was not just water they were wiping their hand on the leaves with . Looks to thick to me .
I wonder if it may be some glue and humectant mixed in to make the leave more pliable and to stick all over when rolled .

Raodwarior

Rocky has had his wrapper leaves dyed for years, they finish off the small spots with sharpies. Most likely that video was shot in either AJ Fernandez or Pepins factory, Rocky just got his own facility 8 months ago and has 6 rollers.

Gdaddy

So much goes into consistency. tobacco by its self is a great dye. if you cook stems it makes for a good dye... I am curious as to what all is used in tobacco enhancement.

This deserves another thread.

Agreed.

For well over 100 years there have been tobacconists fooling around with additives and recipes. Some of it gets added in the form of fertilizer used starting in the field. Other things get added prior to fermenting and yet other things get added right on to the finished leaf prior to rolling. These are family secrets that no tour guide is going to let you see.

Having said that... fine cigar lovers HATE the idea that something may be added to their cigar other than tobacco. If they detect that the cigar has been 'doped' in any way it goes into the garbage. For this reason researchers have looked for methods that are undetectable. Let's face it, my posts suggesting the use of citric acid and salt petre were met with a fair amount of skepticism. Due to my 'bad reputation' of doping, when I sent a cigar to a forum member he requested I don't use any "chemicals" in the cigar I was sending. That's pretty funny.

I'll post another thread with, what I find to be, some very interesting information from the old cook books.

Status
Not open for further replies.