Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rainwater collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bix

I see that there are lots of people using irrigation systems, any one have thoughts on collecting and using rainwater? I heard rumors that it can pick up some extra chemicals from your roof and that can taint vegetables...

Daniel

Banned
I woudl suggest you google rain water collection. There is a lot of info out there in systems. everything from DIY to pre made to custom designed. The chemical thing strikes me a bit like the you can't grow tobacco sort of comments. I have never heard of it being an issue for gardening anyway. I suppose it depends on what you use as a collecting surface. Since most people use the roof of their house, sheds, barns etc I am pretty sure that any common roofing material is not a problem.

Here is a link with a brief overview. Not that it is mentioned that new construction in Santa Fe is required to have rainwater catchment while it is illegal in Washington State unless you own the water rights. Also notice that this simple graffic shows thewater being used for indoor pourposes. I don't suspect they are drinking or cooking with it but showers and washing would most likely be on that list.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...0E04C5C9B3F5F6F0887D494EE200FF0CFDE1F&first=0

BarG

Founding Member
What kind of roof? Rain water makes my garden shoot up like crazy. Well water keeps it alive. I had a bad drought last year and well water saved my ass. In previous years my tomato plants would shoot up a foot overnight after a good rain. I'm hoping that for my baccy crop this year. All my plants looked good last year but they were stunted because I could not keep sufficient water to main roots, due to drought. I could flood the whole garden and the next day the water only penetrated maybe an 1"or 1/2 ". I still managed a decent new growers crop. I'm hoping for some rain this year because you cant beat rain water for what plants cant get from the soil. If your waters real clear after collecting, take a sip and if you survive, so will your baccy....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.